Parent Complaints

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 29, 2012

What do you do with parents that complain about everything? I now have a mother who doesn't like her son's grade. I've spent loads of time writing emails to her stating every tiny reason that her son earned the grade that he did and she still wants to come in a meet with me tomorrow. All I can do is go through everything that I've already told her but she's just can't get over that her son earned a S-. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 29, 2012

First off, insist that an administrator attends the meeting just in case the parent tries to bully you or starts to get irate.

Secondly, make sure that you have your grading criteria available so the parent can see (with her own eyes) how her child earned his grade.

Finally, stand your ground. The grade on his report card is the grade he wanted! If he wants to improve his grade next quarter/semester, I'm sure you've explicity stated what he needs to do!

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 29, 2012

I'm sorry that is happening to you. Some adults are just upset with everything in life. There might be more going on. I had a really grumpy parent that I couldn't understand in my 2nd year of teaching. I found out that this child wasn't her only child she ever had like I thought. She had one who died of an accident as an infant and one who was murdered a few years earlier. I couldn't imagine going through something like that.

Whatever it is, just remind yourself it isn't you and it isn't your fault. Next, I completely agree that you should have the P attend your meeting with the parent. Then ask her what you can do to help her child to have a great 2nd quarter. Hopefully you can get this parent to focus on the future and not just a past grade. I wish you the best of luck.

5. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Nov 29, 2012

You may want to ask her what it is she would like to accomplish in this meeting (nicely, of course) to see if she just wants to complain about past grades, or talk about how to improve future grades. If it's the first, then that discussion has been had. If it's the second, then things can get productive. But it may be that she is lousy at getting to her point, and the second is really her goal. As an added bonus, if she wants the first grade changed, then she has to come out and verbalize that; having to say it right out to you might be shaming enough for her to drop it.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 29, 2012

:agreed: Couldn't have said it better!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

I don't like my GS's grades. But, he is the one who earned them.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2012

Have work samples, conferring notes, running records, anecdotal notes to share with the parent.

9. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 30, 2012

I met with her today and I think things went well. I copied all of his grades off of the online grading system and provided her with examples of his work. I also highlighted areas that he could improve and gave her ideas on how to help him.

Because I sent her with an email listing all of his grades earlier, she came with percentages on each grade. However, she claimed that his final percentage was too low. She came up with her own way of doing the math! I explained to her that the online grading system does all of the calculations but I went through all of the grades on my calculator to check. I then showed her step by step how the grade was calculated. She still didn't like that her son didn't get perfect and said that she had to adjust her thinking to realize that he didn't earn a perfect grade. I feel like I handled things well for it being the first time that a parent complained about a grade but it's been a long day. I'm not sure that she's ready to go on from it.

Oh, and she brought her preschool son with her to meet with me. Just before she left he puked all over my floor! I had wondered why he was laying on the floor so quiet. He'd been sick all day with the stomach flu and she still brought him! I think this mother needs to take it easy and lighten up!

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Dec 1, 2012

You have probably hit the nail on the proverbial head with this parent and her life. Poor kiddo!

Trying to keep in mind that there's probably something else going on at home or that this family is HIGHLY controlled, will help give her some grace and understanding. That being said, I think you did a fantastic job going over the facts with her.

And, yes, I've had parents like this, and do have one this year. Thankfully this is a repeat parent, I've had their older son a couple of years ago, and she understands how things are done better this year, but that doesn't mean she remembers everything. Her son is a genius---Yes, really, he is. But he's also a 3rd grade kid who needs to be a kid...and acts up now and then. But he's a great kid who gets my jokes and sarcasim too. My point, make sure you're also understanding with the student. They might need a little extra TLC in the hellos and how you doings type of conversations now and then.

:)