Parent Complaint

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 2, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 2, 2011

Well, today started out a good day.

A parent met with my P with a long laundry list of complaints about me-did I mention tomorrow is the last day of school? Ugh! :mad:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

:hugs: Kinder! Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, some parents just aren't going to be happy. Through your posts, I know that you go above and beyond for your students, and any student that's in your class is lucky to be there! I'd just send this parent happily onto the 2nd grade teacher!

This parent doesn't have any younger children do they?

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

WOw, that makes me so mad for you!! Was she a problem all year long or is this the first time that you heard from her. If this is the first time she's been a problem, then look on the bright side and be lucky that you won't have to deal with her anymore. :p

5. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 2, 2011

:hugs:We have all had a parent like that at some point and I am so sorry you had to deal with this one! I had one complain that I "ignored" her child when in fact I spent more one on one time with her than pretty much any other student. I also did tons of differentiation for her child and she couldn't bother to even come in when I asked for repeated conferences out of concern. Her child also had 40 tardies this year....yes...40 and she saw no issue with that and could have cared less. I could go on and on....bottom line was she just had decided I was the evil teacher who was causing her child to fail. :mad: As STG said there are are just some that nothing will make them happy. Kudos for you having great support from your P...I was lucky to have mine back me too.

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't let it spoil the great times you had this year with your class. In just a bit you'll be able to put it all behind you and relax! Yay!

7. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

Why is it that sometimes (often? I'm a new teacher) the parent who wants to complain about their kiddo's education doesn't send them to school regularly and/or on time? I encountered this as well. Does not compute! Yay for supportive P's, though.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

Kinder, you are a wonderful teacher and there is no doubt about that. I think this parent is always going to find something wrong in any situation, and likely with any teacher. Hugs to you...

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

Ugh. Yuck. :(

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 2, 2011

Hugs to you. Glad your P had your back. Don't let this silly woman get to you, you know you've done a great job, and well, clearly she's off her rocker!

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

Ahhhh, the end of the year crazy people are out in force I see.

Don't take it personally. There will always be crazy people, no matter what line of work you're in.

12. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jun 2, 2011

So sad to hear this. You know what you've done and who you are. Seems like the principal does too. I feel sorry for this poor kid with the wacko mom!

13. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

Well, at least she waited until the end of the year to start with the nonsense. Next years teacher probably won't be so lucky.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 2, 2011

I feel sorry for the future teachers and worry that the kid will learn she doesn't have to do anything because mommy will raise h*** with the P and blame it on the teacher.

Kinder - I have NO DOUBT you are great, caring and compassionate teacher and went above and beyond for this child just as you do for all your kiddos! Hugs to you :hugs:

And a big, fat raspberry to Psycho Mom. :p

15. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 2, 2011

I like to think it's a form of mental illness that causes parents to behave so irrationally. That way, I can pity them. ;)

16. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 2, 2011

The photo thing has left me speechless! What?! I think my principal might laugh over that one!

I burned DVDs like that the past two years and boy are you right, it takes FOREVER!!!! Not to mention I bought the DVDs out of my own pocket!

My coworkers and I were talking about this...in kindergarten some of us go above and beyond...I give out my home number, do lots of extra projects, really just work hard... But we still have parents who complain. I don't think they can truly appreciate all you have done for their child until they have a few more teachers (the ones who do the bare minimum or less). You know? Sometimes I want to shout, "ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Do you realize no other teacher in my grade even does this? This is just something extra I choose to do! Can't you be appreciative?!"

At least your principal just takes it with a grain of salt...you should too! Relax...you are on summer time now!;)

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 2, 2011

The mom is probably just ticked off because school is over and she has to have her kid around more.

The reason I say that is because I had a parent screaming in the office that summer school wasn't being offered. This parent's kid is a solid B student and earned commended on two of the three state tests and was had 88% on the third.

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2011

Kinder, I'm so sorry that you have had a horrible day. Our last day was last week. The last day of school we had an awards assembly. I walk in and see one of my "parents" - the kid doesn't live with his actual parent. Anyway I see this parent and was wondering why he was there. He had his camera so I know he thought his kid was going to an award. Needless to say he wasn't getting any awards. (perfect attendance, and honor roll stuff) Not more than 10 minutes after the ceremony I get a text from his real Mom asking how to log onto the gradebook. She wanted to check his grades and wanted to know why he didn't get any awards? holy cow lady you haven't looked at his grades all year and you want to now! Several days before that I got a text from another parent asking when she was going to find out if her child was going to pass. Ummm why are you waiting until two days before school is over to ask me about grades? ughhhh parents!!!

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 3, 2011

Thank you guys for the kind words! I knew you would understand! ;)

I know there are crazy parents out there and as hard as it was for me to come to the conclusion that you can't please everyone-I do realize that (I'm a people-pleaser at heart).

The day before the last day of school? And what gets me is she has never said anything to me-never requested a conference, I see her every day when she picks up the child. She just goes over my head to complain-I just think it's very vindictive.

I am glad to be done with her-I hate walking on eggshells to try please those kinds of people. I do feel sorry for the child because it's not helping her in the long run. I will definitely warn the teacher for next year!

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 3, 2011

Kinder, I'm so glad you have a supportive P who just let it go! Try not to stress about it, and enjoy your last day.

(Btw, I can't believe you made DVDs for your kids! How awesome is that?!)

21. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 3, 2011

I like crazy parents like that because they make me laugh. They are the ones that look like fools and well......are crazy! lol

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 3, 2011

I agree 100%...They don't know how much we really do for their child, because they don't have anyone to compare us to.

Kinder, I'm so sorry this happened to you...It sounds like you at least know this parent is completely crazy and irrational, so don't take what she said to heart.

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 3, 2011

My favorite AP used to always say he wished he worked in an orphanage. Sounds about right to me! Hang tough. I don't care how much I know I am in the right, it still wounds my heart.

24. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

I had a parent who got mad about awards one year. I used different wording as I presented every child with an award--made it personal for them. Not "Joe is receiving _______, Mary is receiving _______, John is receiving _______"--you know, not cookie cutter-same for everyone. They didn't like when I announced their kid's award--apparently they didn't like the way I worded it. What was worse, the admin took the parent's side because it was a private school and they were big donors to the school. I immediately got out of that school!

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

Totally going to use this next time a parent is being ungrateful, annoying or just plain idiotic.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

26. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 3, 2011

Hugs to you...unfortunately most teachers end up with one or two of these kinds of parents. I am so thankful that your P was so supportive. It sounds like you are an amazing teacher who truly cares about her kids. You sound like the type of teacher I would pray that my little boy would get. Concentrate on sweet things your other parents and kids have said. Most of the time parents like this have troubles in their own lives, but that certainly doesn't make it right for her to treat you like this.

27. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2011

She is a nutjob to be kind. We all run across them as the years go by. Her child will always have an uphill battle because of nature and nurture.

28. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 3, 2011

So kind-thank you so much!

Just an update. I got an e-mail this morning saying the girl was going to be absent (I admit I was a little relieved I wasn't going to have to face the mother).

The mother actually came in to hit the P up with round 2 of her list of complaints-they actually have the child keeping a journal now of all the "wrongs" committed against her at school. Let's see--I don't walk her daughter to the car anymore (um, she walks up and picks her up every day). I won't talk to her at dismissal (we aren't supposed to be carrying on conversations; we're supposed to have our full attention on dismissing the kids. And I could go on. My P wanted me to call her and explain but a) I don't think it's worth the effort since the year is over and b) I'm afraid of what I might say :whistle:.

My kids and I had a very enjoyable bittersweet last day and I'll get over it. I will just never understand petty people.

You guys made me chuckle though with some of your comments! Unfortunately I guess we all have to deal with the ones a few chicken nuggets short of a happy meal from time to time in this business.