Parent complaint the first day back =P

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 5, 2015

I should have seen it coming. I decided to give a quiz the first day back. I never grade these quizzes, and it was just to review concepts they learned before they left on break, but I never tell the students I don't grade them.

Parent emailed me freaking out about giving a pop quiz on the first day back. I reassured her I don't grade them. Just a nice topper at the end of a slightly rough day back.

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 6, 2015

Still students should be prepared.... regardless of us being on vacation, but I know that's besides the point. I've been antsy about getting back to work- I didn't want to check my email because I thought I would have parent complaints and my inbox is completely silent. Hopefully it stays that way :)

Hopefully it won't get around to the students that you don't grade the assessments- or if it does, that they still take it seriously. My 6th graders are testing me right now- always asking if something is or is not graded.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 6, 2015

I always tell them ANYTHING has a chance of being graded even if I don't normally grade it. I keep it fairly ambiguous about what goes in the grade and what doesn't.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 6, 2015

Do you guys have an online gradebook? My kids would figure out within a week if I wasn't taking a grade on a type of assignment... They're religious about checking their grades.

6. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Jan 6, 2015

I've had parents freak out about something not being "counted" for grades. Apparently "it was a learning experience" is not a good enough reason to do work.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 6, 2015

We have an online system, but our students are much less religious about checking their grades. The ones that do it on a consistent basis are those I don't really have to worry about anyway.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 6, 2015

I would be highly tempted to tell a parent to "deal with it" if they didn't like the fact that I don't grade everything. Why that is even an expectation is beyond me.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 6, 2015

Maybe you should have called it a "game" instead of a quiz. Back to School Jeopardy or something. Then you'd be challenged on why you're not getting back to work. Sigh. Sometimes there's no way to win.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 7, 2015

:crosseyed Or they just have a quiz and the kids need to get over it! And their crazy helicopter parents. The kids who've been too babied forever are now having children that they baby too much and it's going to be the death of me....really. :dizzy:

I would do exactly nothing different! Thank goodness I teach in a low SES school where nobody pays attention to my gradebook. :whistle:

11. BioAngel

Jan 7, 2015

That's how I would like to be too in my classroom, but in certain grades the parents would freak out and go straight to my principal if I did not clearly state what will be on the assessment, give them a week's notice (at least), make sure they are only having at most 1 other assessment that day (even if it's another quiz), did not post the announcement of it online right away, and did not clearly state if it will be a grade or not.

:dizzy:

Thankfully that pressure is only in 1 of 4 grades that I teach- but this is my 3rd year teaching them, so it's getting old. :rolleyes:

12. BioAngel

Jan 7, 2015

THIS THIS THIS THIS! Yes! A quiz that your child did not study for is not going to ruin their lives! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

The best parents are the one who offer their child guidance, but don't mind if their child fails at something and see the value of their child failing something and learning how to solve it/cope with it.

Too many students have ZERO coping skills- and some parents can only cope it seems by attacking the teacher constantly. :(

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 7, 2015

Yesterday I three parent emails. Students turned in a lab the day before Christmas break. Parents wanted to know why the labs were not returned on Monday or Tuesday - our first and second day back. I politely reminded them that Christmas break was MY break too and that IF the labs get graded it will be later in the week.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 7, 2015

I have no idea why they would have that expectation. They shouldn't be freaking out over what you do in your classroom. From what I gather, you teach older kids so it's not like a little 6 year old getting a pop quiz. Good grief, when will they let teachers do their jobs and run their classes they way they want.

15. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 7, 2015

I wouldn't like it either but I doubt I'd contact the teacher about it. If Monday quizzes were routine then I might say something.

I've had too many kids in my classes (remember I teach Special Ed) that are adjusting to being back into routine. Testing them or getting some kind of assessment data on the first day back after a vacation is not worthwhile to me at this point.

I did the same when I taught other populations.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

I had six kids take a test the first day back. Some were shocked and not well-prepared. I don't know why, since I announced well before break that anyone who missed the chapter test would be taking it immediately upon return.

If the parents had a complaint, I didn't hear it. I'm assuming that they understood this would happen when they decided that two weeks was not long enough of a break and kept their kids out of school the week before.

I simply cannot rearrange my units so that students who want to go to Disney before the crowds have the biggest advantage.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 8, 2015

OP, sorry you had complaints.

I do have to wonder what kind of complaints we would be reading here (not by you in particular) if the administrator decided to do an observation within the first hour of the first day back after a long break.

I know many would say to suck it up, but there would be professionals that would complain about the same type of issue when applied to them. We all know that getting back after a 2 week break usually means people (all people) are out of sorts for a bit. While we can't always have the time to adjust back to the regular schedule, there will always be someone who complains about it.

OP, I'm more concerned about calling something a "quiz" when you don't grade it. I'd have a hard time justifying the percentage of the quarter grade that is "quiz" if the quiz grades were randomly selected.

18. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jan 8, 2015

Hear, hear! :clap:

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

If they can't remember material after 2 weeks how are they going to remember it at the end of the year for finals? Or in the real world when they need to know something they learned in school? At the elementary stage it might have been a bit unfair but after that quizzes should be expected at any time (in middle school or high school) especially if it's stated in the syllabus. If it doesn't say in the syllabus that quizzes should be expected at any time then maybe it should be added and then reiterated to parents when they complain. It seems like those who complain about everything would sure enough complain about this.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

That sounds fair to me. I hope they enjoyed Disney! :rolleyes:

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 8, 2015

It's always something, isn't it?!

I did a writing assessment the first day back. I had to do it either the Monday or Tuesday before Christmas, or right when we returned. I thought they would be more focused after break.

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 15, 2015

Man. I know this is WAY past the time that this thread was active - but I tripped into it looking for a keyword.

YEARS and YEARS ago (ummmm...early 1980s), I was brought before the SCHOOL BOARD for using the teaching method of "contracts". Seriously, a parent - a PITA parent who happened ALSO to be on the board - pinned me against the wall about having children sign a contract (btw...I did take the teachable moment to mention to kids that you should always read an entire contract and make sure you understand it BEFORE ever signing it. We had a Q&A time - but it was a simple synopsis of the unit, a grading rubric, and a chart for them to keep track of their progress). And that is wasn't a PROFESSIONALLY WRITTEN contract with all the legal-eze that would go into one. (Mind you - this wasn't some private school who taught the children of lawyers, CEOS, politicians, and dignitaries. This is was little, -backwards,- country town - whose population decades later has only grown to 662.)

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!?!

I tried to explain that it was just a method used to lay out what was expected in the class and to emphasize that the grade you end up with is the grade YOU have earned - rather than a subjective/made-up grade. You would think he would have been HAPPY about that being set forth. No, he had a bug up his butt about SOMETHING.

That was when I realized that I should look for another school for the following year.