Parent Complainer

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ginasparkles, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ginasparkles

ginasparkles Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Hello Teachers! I am a new teacher and there is one parent that complains about every single thing! There is no pleasing her. I was wondering if any other teachers have had this same experience and how they handled it? Thanks.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 26, 2008

Tell her tough noogies, get used to it. No, I'm only half kidding. If she has legitimate complaints, then I might entertain her and listen for a while, but if I have to hear about how the color on the walls isn't right, I'd send her right to the principal. I have bigger fish to fry.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

What kinds of things is she complaining about? Your response to the complains would be different depending on the issue. If she's complaining that she doesn't like the reading program you're using, well, then too bad. That's not a choice either of you get to make. Too much homework? Listen and see if she's got a valid point. Little Johnny is upset because he didn't get to be the line leader or had to do something he considered unpleasant...well that's just too darn bad. Your classroom doesn't revolve around little johnny (though in more diplomatic terms).

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 27, 2008

I use to worry about upsetting parents. Now I just try to be as honest as possible and state the facts. I discovered that most responds positively to that approach. They want you to just listen. Also I found the best way to get a complainer on my side was to give them a job to do for me.

6. Maestra Ita

Maestra Ita Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

Well, I just wrote a short note to a mother, saying that her kid is not writing at all, I gave him my book to finish and he did not want it. Well, today she wrote me back (3 pages) saying that her kid is the only boy and he need to talk in class, that he is sick, that she had an accident and could not buy his book and finally that the kid told her that I call everybody in the class except for her son, DUMB! She said that she asked all the student if I called them dumb and they said yes! Anyway I just signed the letter and showed to the principal.... It's sad you try to help, and then this! So the principal knows what kind of a mother is she, she talked to me and told me to stay away from her and the kid, no more letters to that mother!!! She has done this to all the teachers! I will get use to things like this!

7. reverie

reverie Companion

Aug 27, 2008

Yeah, it probably depends on the complaint, like others said. I had a parent complain before and she said a couple of things that made sense and the rest didn't. It gave me the opportunity to improve on those things that I did need work on.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 27, 2008

I've received 3 e-mails in 3 days from one of my parents this year. School has only been in session for 3 days! After day 1 she wanted to set up a conference because her child is not being challenged enough and today's e-mail included a 2-page word document on her suggestions for how we can make dismissal run more smoothly (a procedure that is completely out of my hands). She talked to my administrator about how I called her child "insane" in a conversation I supposedly had with her, the parent. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I am always professional and respond nicely and try my hardest to fix what they are asking. I do worry sometimes because my administration isn't very "present" in our building and will often take a parents' word that something happened or was said, even if it doesn't sound very logical.

Try all you want to, you will never please everyone. Some parents just have too much time on their hands,

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

Amen to that! Some of them need to get jobs of their own in my opinion. But wow, I thought my parents were bad last year but some of y'alls..good grief! But theyre right, you can never please everyone. I know I went to my principal quite a few times last year about parents. One parent came to me like the 3rd week of school telling me that her son was bored. Um NO he's just a pain in the a$$! I mean they start talkin about not challenging their kids the 1st week. They dont give us time to even get to know their kid and figure out our routines. If people only knew what teachers went thru, they wouldnt b!tch as much as they do. Unfortunately, we cant say what we really want to because of the possibility of getting in trouble with our principals. Like someone said before, just let them vent and if it's nonsense stuff take it to your principal and let he/she know why you think it's nonsense. Anything else just offer suggestions and be firm in what you believe in. Like someone else said, some things we just cant control so tough luck.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

Some parents need to get a job!

I had one who always had questions about papers I'd send home. At first I wrote out detailed answers and then I just started using a highlighter and drawing arrows to were she could find answers if she'd look!

11. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Yea I would avoid her as much as possible, when you see her talk for a minute then tell her you a busy. If she doesnt get the hint then lock your doors.. lol.. an recomend she talk with the principal

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 28, 2008

Could she have wanted her child to be in a different class? I have seen occasions where when the parent wasn't happy with the placement of the child they have been "nitpicky" over ever little detail and if the child was moved they became the school's biggest cheerleader (had one moved from another class to mine the last year I was in 2nd grade for that reason I found out later).
    Just my :2cents: but you might want to check that possibility.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 28, 2008

Well, I hope she comes back. I'd like to know what the complaints were about so we could maybe help! :)