Parent Communication

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Rachel0624, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

This is my first year teaching Kindergarten. The last few years I taught First Grade. My principal told me that she would like to see more communication with parents (although I had a website, sent newsletters, and emailed them constantly) :mad: So This year I was trying to think of some sort of form that I could send home daily/weekly for each student. I was thinking that I could stamp a smiley for behavior and then have a space for comments. Does anyone use anything like this? What do you use for parent communcation? :help:

Thank You

3. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I have a daily binder that goes home. There is a front pocket for parents to put things for me, a pencil pouch for money, a communication log, a behavior calendar, a calendar, and a folder with 2 sides- one for keeping at home, 1 for things to return.

The communication log allows for note writing back and forth. It is quick and easy. I doubled sided it in order to give more room. It's a great record of your attempts at communication.

The behavior calendar is marked each day with the tickets they pulled (My rules correspond to a color, when the rule is broken, they pull a ticket of the corresponding color. You could also color the day with the color they ended on if you use that system.) If the day was good, they have a stamp or sticker.

The calendar lists important dates, library days, and the specials rotation.

I also send out a weekly newsletter.

It sounds to me like you are doing a lot, but that's what I do in case you need a new idea!

4. Lilly4

Lilly4 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I use a parent communication sheet in their folders with two columns. One says Teacher comments/ questions the other says Parent comments/ questions. I try to write in them once a week to share something the child is doing well, if a child had a hard week, a new friend that was made, how they did at something, what they seem to enjoy, etc. Parents sometimes comment back or write questions. I check these daily. I found trying to write in them once a week was challenging but I know the families appreciated that extra communication tool. Happy communicating! :)

5. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

We have a take home folder that we send home daily behavior forms. One side is "leave at home" one side is "bring back" this is a major mode of communication. Parents are asked to sign the behavior form each day. We do colors, so our sheet indicates what color they are on each day, their behavior that got them that color, and what action was taken. We also note any problems in lunch or specials just so the parents know. Each child's name and the weekly date is written at the top. I didn't see a way to attach it...but here is what one day looks like....all five days are on one sheet.

Monday

_____ Green

_____ Yellow

_____ Orange
    Action taken:

_____ Red
    Action taken:

Lunch Notes:

Specials Notes:

Parent signature:_________________________

Also at the beginning of the year I send the below note to each parent. This tells me how the parents can be best reached and how they can get hold of me.

Dear Parents:
    Below you will find my contact information. Please feel free to contact me at anytime with questions or concerns regarding school or your child. Also, if you could please take the time to fill out and return the form below providing me with the form of communication you would like me to use to keep in contact with you. Written communication will be conducted through the Take Home Folder so please make sure to check it regularly. I check folders and e-mail frequently, these are my preferred forms of communication. I do not check my school voice mail as often, so if you need to contact me during school hours, it is better to leave a message with the office. Thank you.

Email:
    Work Phone:
    Home Phone:

Sincerely,

Student’s Name:__________________ Parents’ Names:________________________

_____ Written communication is my preferred form of communication.

_____ Email is my preferred form of communication.
    Email address: _________________________________

_____ Phone is my preferred form of communication.
    Phone number you prefer I call at: _____________________________________

Notes/Comments:_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

Last year, I sent home a calendar at the beginning of the month, and each day had a shape on it (September-apples). I would color the apple each day that corresponded to the "color" they were on...green was a great day, yellow so-so, red was a "bad" day and went with a note. This year, I am going to try (as long as the P approves it) sending home a binder with everyone that will include a spot for me to write to parents and for them to write back.
    I also keep a log of any calls I make home, notes I receive or send...we have to turn in a copy every year!
    Good luck! :)

7. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Thank you all for the great ideas!