Parent Communication

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Aug 23, 2015

How often do you send home information to parents about what or how their child is doing or what is happening in the classroom? I do a monthly calendar and newsletter but I'm wondering if I should do something weekly and maybe personalize it for each child a little more. The school I'm at doesn't really have any requirements. The one I was at before required them daily which was too much when you have 24 children. I'm just curious what some of you do.

3. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Aug 24, 2015

How many children do you have? I work with younger children, and I have to do daily reports on my children. It tells the families about if their child ate breakfast, lunch, and snack. When their child used the bathroom, or had their diaper changed. The child's overall mood for the day, and there is also a spot for me to write anything extra (i.e. the child had fun tasting different apples today).

I have two assistant teachers, and we are all responsible for making sure the reports get filled out.

4. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Aug 24, 2015

I have 18 right now but I can have up to 24. I have an assistant but it isn't consistently the same person. Since it is pre-k I don't necessarily want to keep up with how much they eat or how often. I just want to make sure the parents feel informed about the things we are doing and learning. I think I am leaning toward doing something weekly. Thank you so much for your response!

5. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Aug 25, 2015

I also have a whiteboard located where parents sign in. On the whiteboard I leave a good morning/ afternoon message and if the class is doing anything special for the day, like going to the library. I like doing it that way because it does not waste so much paper. You could also send note cards home with children if there is something extra special you want their families to know.

6. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Aug 25, 2015

I have always had younger ones (toddlers and now infants), so we do daily reports on basic things like eating, sleeping, and diaper changes. In addition, we are required to send out an update at least once a week (generally on Fridays). I usually talk about what we did that week and give an idea of what we'll be up to the following week. For my toddler class, I also had a whiteboard where I wrote what we did that day. I know a lot of parents appreciated having that to use as a conversation starter since my toddlers could not always remember exactly what they'd done that day. :)

7. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Aug 25, 2015

I had thought about the whiteboard idea. I like that is saves paper plus it seems less time consuming and parents may be more likely to read that than one more piece of paper in the folder.

Thanks!

8. youwillrise

youwillrise Rookie

Aug 26, 2015

i work with toddlers, but we actually dont do written daily reports like most places do. we just do verbal daily communication as far as general stuff goes. we trrrryyyyyy to do newsletters and put out information regarding the classroom whenever we can, but it is hard when we don't have 2 minutes to get anything extra like that done. we just try to be very vocal with parents as to what we are working on and what the children enjoy.