Parent Communication Plan

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by eef, Jun 16, 2005.

1. eef

eef New Member

Jun 16, 2005

Hi! I'm taking a class this summer that has me creating a parent communication plan. I'm suppose to explain the ways that I will address various student performance issues with parents such as high achievement, low achievement, absenteeism, discipline problems, and information about academic problems. In the past I have called or E-mailed parents when there has been a problem. Does anyone have any creative ways of communicating with high school parents? Thanks!

3. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

I remember reading about a teacher who calls two parents every day. She draws two students' names out of a hat (or whatever) at the beginning of class each day, and she will call those students' parents that evening and chat with them, letting them know how their student is doing (academically and behaviorally). She makes sure to pay attention to those students' behavior so that she can give a report, whether good or bad, to the parents. The students don't know whose names are drawn until after the phone calls have been made. I thought this approach was creative and could be very effective - I haven't done it myself, though.

4. Emyly

Emyly Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

At the beginning of the year when I send out my CYA letter (Cover Your A@#) that lists my policies and procedures, I ask for parent's email address and work and home phone numbers.

I basically lump all of the parents into a email list and send a weekly update on what assignments are due, what's going on in class etc.

Next year I'm going to create a paper version to send to those parents who do not have email-- my principal has approved the weekly or biweekly postage expenditure.

5. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

Forgot to mention...at my school, we're required to keep a homework website updated on SchoolNotes ( http://www.schoolnotes.com ). All the parents are given the URLs at the beginning of the year; they can sign up to be notified whenever a page is updated if they want to do so. They can also access the pages from the school's website, where a link is provided to each teacher's page.

6. eef

eef New Member

Jun 16, 2005

Thanks so much for the great input! I have shared your ideas with others in my class and everone thinks they're great! Thanks!

7. eef

eef New Member

Jun 16, 2005

Thanks for sharing your CYA letter idea. I had a "sign in" sheet at Open House but by high school that's not such a big deal and I didn't get very many parent email's. I will incorporate your letter idea and try to get as many parent addresses as possible so that I can start a bi-weekly update email for the coming year. Thanks! :)

8. lowrie

lowrie Companion

Jun 16, 2005

My son's school uses teacherweb.com for communication -- information/homework/events are posted there and there is an email link for parents to contact the teacher.

9. helpinghand

helpinghand Rookie

Jun 21, 2005

These are great ideas. I also collect e-mail addresses and phone numbers through a letter and through open hiuse sign in, but I use it when time calls. I like the idea of making a mail list and sending a regular e-mail to all. I already send a newsletter, so I could e-mail the newsletter.

The idea of calling two names a day is great. I thought of it, but never followed through. I need to try that this coming year.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

Emyly,
    As a teacher and a parent of two teen-age daughters I loved your idea of emailing the parents. I wish their school would do something similar.

11. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jun 22, 2005

I am working on something that I think will help both parents and teachers stay up to date with what is going on in the classroom.

I have created a "blog" web site. (I'll post the link when I am finished with the site).

Basically, the way it works is each week I will create a new post. That post will have the big picture/objectives for the week as well as the homework assignment for each night. My plan is to also scan the handouts into the computer and have the hw posted in each blog be active links that takes the viewer to the actual document where they can view or print.

What is great about a blog is that parents/students can make comments and post questions and as soon as a comment is posted I automatically get an email saying that a new comment has been posted.

Also, I will collect parents/students emails addresses and place them in an autoresponder...each week when I create a new post I will send a simple email to everyone on that mailing list. The email will simply state that the blog has been updated and will have a link to the blog itself.

Also on the blog will be links to the sylabus, curriculum map, school calender, important dates etc.

It is a little bit of work to get it all set-up, but once set-up should be very easy to keep udated.

--Adam Waxler

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 22, 2005

I send home a newsletter every Monday telling the parents what we are doing and important things that will be happening. Our technology director actually emailed it a few times to the parents in my class and a lot of them said they don't check their email so he stopped doing it. It did make things easier for me but it didn't work out.

AWaxler my question for you is what do you do if a parent does not have access to a computer? I will be working in a school next year where the students are lower income and I know most will not have computers at home.

13. awaxler

awaxler Comrade

Jun 22, 2005

AMK, you are right...my plan is for homes with internet access. I currently work at a school where only 1 or 2 students out of 85 does not have internet access. I am moving to a district in FL where I was told to expect the same. Guess I am lucky.

Also, our students have agendas where they write the homework for each subject and then their advisory teacher signs off on it at the end of each day. For those students who don't have internet access you could try having parents sign the student's agenda as well...this way you know that they have seen it.

For students who have had behaviorial problems...they must have their teachers write in a comment each day and then their parents sign it at home. Obviously this can't be done for every student, but it has been extremely successful with those we have used it with.

--Adam Waxler