Parent Christmas Gifts from Students - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, Dec 11, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 11, 2014

In first grade, I always had the kids make an ornament with their picture on it for a parent Christmas present. I'm not sure what to do in fifth. Any ideas for good parent Christmas gifts, specifically with upper elementary kids?

Thanks! :D

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 12, 2014

A thank-you letter with a picture, maybe?

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2014

I still have a little flowerpot that my daughter made in elementary school. It has flowers made with her fingerprints dipped in paint.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 12, 2014

Snowman made from a tube sock. I am doing this with my second graders.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 12, 2014

One year I had them use glass paint and paint on small glass votive candle holders. We made a stained glass look because I found an inexpensive set of paints for that project. They looked beautiful. I've also had them make little mini Christmas trees with pieces of silk pine boughs cut into about 4 inch lengths. We potted them in tiny clay pots. So cute. Another easy one is to make 'trees' with popsicle sticks and decorate them with buttons. Just add a hanger and it's a cute ornament. I tried the little snow globes and it turned into a big mess because they leaked.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 12, 2014

I trace my kids foot and paint it on a rug sample that is donated by a carpet store. Then dip their hands in black paint and make antlers. They use their fingers for eyes and thumb as a nose.

8. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 14, 2014

I found a calendar on TPT. Kids color it and it has a little writing prompt for each month. My sister works at a bank who has tons of office stuff for PR. I'm getting some magnetic clips for them so that parents can hang them on the fridge or whatever. I teach 3rd.

This was the cheapest option for me, lol. The calendar was like $5 or real close and the clips are free. The kids have worked on it in their down time.

Beth

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 14, 2014

A creative fold out picture book where the students share what is special about their parents. I have done this and the parents love it. The students also get some needed writing with it. There are some great ideas for book cover design ideas on pinterest.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 15, 2014

Thanks for the ideas!

I love this! What do you mean by a fold out picture book?

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 15, 2014

I'm looking for ideas, too...I was going to do an ornament out of popcicle sticks, but I honestly don't feel like going through the trouble of having them paint both sides, and glue it together. It seems like a lot of work...

I'm looking for something that I wouldn't have to spend a penny on, and it has to be finished by this Friday. :(

Edit: Right after I posted this, I found this idea, and I think I'm going to go with it: http://acupcakefortheteacher.blogspot.com/2012/12/snowman-ornaments.html

I already have all of the materials, except for the ornaments and decorating shred, but I'm sure they are super cheap, especially this time of the year. I think they cute and simple.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 15, 2014

Those snowman ornaments are adorable. I wonder how easy it is to get the shred into those small holes.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 15, 2014

I'll find out in a few minutes here! I just bought all of the materials, and now I'm going to test one out before my students make them tomorrow. The description said that she used a pencil eraser to stuff the shred inside.

The shred wasn't cheap, which stinks...I found 2 oz bags at Hobby Lobby for $2. I purchased 5, which I'm thinking will be more than enough, so I can save the rest for next year. The ornaments were really hard to find. I found them at Hobby Lobby, as well ($4.50 for a pack of 12). I bought glass, though, because the plastic ones were $1 each.

If they turn out really well, I'll just look for clearance ornaments after the holidays, and save them for next year. ;)

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 15, 2014

Those are adorable! I would be interested to hear how those turn out!

I ended up deciding on this: http://teachinginroom6.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-project-to-share.html

They started the letters today and are doing a great job. It's really sweet to see how much they love making them for their families. I wouldn't do this with much younger than 5th though (maybe 4th) unless the letters were printed out instead of hand drawn - some of my kids had a HARD time drawing the letters!

15. Alika0121

Alika0121 New Member

Dec 16, 2014

We are also looking for some gifts.In my opinion I think parenting book is best for your kid...

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

Might not be enough time, but I get a pack of 18" x 12" white construction paper (your school might have it otherwise your school supply store will have it.) I give one sheet to each student. I have them fold it in half (hot dog style) so it is 18" x 6" after they cut it along the fold. Now have them take the 1st 18" x 6" sheet and fold it in half and half again. Do the same with the second paper. Now you have 8 squares. Have them use a glue stick to paste the last page of the first sheet completely over the first square of the 2nd sheet. You now have 7 squares of which to write and create a book. Use the first page to glue to a "book cover" which is just a 6" x 8" rectangle of card stock or poster board. Have the poster board covered by a students drawing (or art work) that they create on a regular 8 1/2" x 11" inch copy paper. Wrap it around the poster board similar to the way you wrap a present. Make sure the student glues all sides to the poster board. Repeat for the back cover.

This is how I do it, but you might have a different way that might be simpler or fancier.

Have fun with this. :)

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

They were REALLY easy and only took about 30 minutes to make. Of course, I had to hot glue the pipe cleaners and pom poms on, and that took about an hour of my own time.

I love the idea you came up with, too!

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 17, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, DrivingPigeon. I'm glad the project worked for you. They are adorable.

I made those filled-in letters for back-to-school night several years, yellowdaisies, and put a photo next to each one on a bulletin board. They turned out great. It was with 5th graders.