Parent, again. Preferred Pencils?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Justamom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Justamom

Justamom Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

Sorry to keep bugging you guys. I don't know of any better HONEST resource. :eek:

I received a wish list and was wondering which bulk pencils you would prefer to have.

I overheard a teacher saying that she'd prefer to just buy them herself since they would just get the cheapest *** anyway. I am sure she would crawl under a rock if she knew I heard :p.

I am looking at bulk cases of Ticonderoga, I Scholar or Mirado. I also considered simply ordering the bulk ones from Oriental Trading Co. with each individual Teachers name printed on them to maybe help keep them IN their class supply?

Which would you prefer if given the option?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2011

Of the ones you listed, I'd prefer the Ticonderoga, but they can get expensive. I'd actually prefer mechanical pencils, but I teach high school. I'm not sure what kinds of pencils the elementary teachers prefer.

4. Justamom

Justamom Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

It will be for both a junior high and a high school.

Maybe I could do half standard and half mechanical? Is there a prefered brand on mechanical ones?

The price I am not too worried about as I own my own (small) business and have credits built up. I just wish I had been aware of a need earlier...:blush:

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 18, 2011

I like Ticonderoga, too. :)

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 18, 2011

that would be my vote as well :thumb:

7. Justamom

Justamom Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

Thank you!!!

I never realized there WAS a difference :confused:.

I just found the company site (instead of my supplier). They have EVERYTHING I was looking for. I did not realize they made BOTH mechanical and wooden ones :whistle:.

Funny what you take for granted....:rolleyes:

Thanks, again!!!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 18, 2011

Ticonderoga is the only pencil worth buying.

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 18, 2011

I also prefer Ticonderoga.

Our junior high students are not allowed to use mechanical pencils. They like to pull the lead out and throw it on the floor. They roll it around with their feet and mark up the floor. The custodians really hate mechanical pencils around here.

10. kme93

kme93 Companion

Nov 18, 2011

I like the "cheap" bic mechanical pencils. They work great, erasers last, and if you lose one it's no big deal.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011

Our primary teachers request Ticonderoga. I always that was kind of strange, until I moved down to third grade and took over pencil sharpening duties. They rarely break and don't get chewed up in the pencil sharpener like cheaper varieties. It's amazing how much of a difference there is in how long they last!

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 18, 2011

The straightness of the lead makes a HUGE difference!

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2011

These are my favorite as well.

14. Justamom

Justamom Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

Funny you mention this.... I just pulled out the kids handbooks and "no mechanical pencils" was in them both. ;)

I went with the 72 pack, #2 soft per teacher, for now... I can add a box or two per supply order during the rest of the year.

I was thinking of adding the 5 pack mechanical sets a part of their personal Christmas gifts. Tacky? I planned on including chocolates....:confused:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 18, 2011

16. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Nov 18, 2011

I second the Ticonderoga pencils. They're the best!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 18, 2011

Ticonderoga.

By the way, you are welcome on here any time. You are not bugging us.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2011

Dixon Ticonderoga.

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 19, 2011

See, I had no clue about this. When we got my daughter's K supply list back in the spring with the buy-it-now whole kit, it didn't mention a specific brand. So, we went by that list to get her things later during the summer. Well, the first week of school a list came home with basically the same things on it but Ticonderoga was mentioned. Too late then. Her list was complete. They should have put it on the list way before the first week of school.

Now, I do know those cutesie decorative pencils are a piece of crap. I hate the pencils that are off center... you know, they always have wood on the side of the point that you can NEVER get off to where you can write with it.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 19, 2011

I'm just happy when mine HAVE a pencil.

When I buy them myself, I always buy the Dixon ones, which are made by Ticonderoga. They're a cheaper version, but they are good for loaners because I have a bunch of kids who are hard on pencils. I buy Ticonderoga--the black ones--for myself.

I have been really happy with the pencils that I bought from For Teachers Only, which is part of Atlas Pen & Pencil company. I bought a gross of pencils and had "Return to Mrs. Teacher" put on them. They sharpen well.

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 19, 2011

The best are American made wooden pencils. Other pencils just get chewed up by the sharpener. They are cheap, the lead is not put inside the pencil straight. So the leads break. In this case, American made is the best quality, and ends up being the cheapest because they last longer.

22. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Nov 19, 2011

For primary school nothing beats Ticonderoga. They are the only pencils that don't continually break and the erasers actually work. If you get any other brand they tend to break constantly. The kids have to sharpen them so much that they don't last very long. So in the end you probably spend just as much money on the other brands as if you bought the Ticonderogas in the begining.

For middle and high school the mechanical pencils. Even the cheaper ones work really well. They lose them so quickly that you might as well just buy the inexpensive ones. However the other kids find them on the floor and they use them also. How environmental!

23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 19, 2011

TICONDEROGA. Period. My admin gave us a pack of Oriole pencils which I thought would be fine cause they're both Dixon. The sharpener would eat several pencils a day. I would sharpen them MYSELF and they would be down to nothing after one or two times. Terrible. Ticonderoga's almost never break and they last forever. Worth the money!

24. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Nov 19, 2011

I also vote for Ticonderoga! They are the highest quality pencils and they just last so much longer. My second graders are hard on pencils and the ticonderoga ones are always the best! They also help preserve the life of our pencil sharpener as we don't have to continually sharpen them! :)