PARCC: Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Career

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Feb 20, 2013.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Feb 20, 2013

To those who are taking part of PARCC, are you practicing this already in your classroom? How are you implementing this in your classroom? How are the students reacting to it? Do you think you are attaining success with this new assessment?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2013

There will be PARCC-like questions on NJs state test this year.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2013

I think as long as we are mindful to increase rigor in lessons and assessment expectations, our kids will be fine.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Feb 20, 2013

I don't know how the elementary is, but some of the high school math problems are pretty tough. I teach in a highly ranked, affluent school district, and our admin is a little worried about it. I can't imagine how less well-off districts will fare.

I don't think it's the topics tested, but rather HOW they are worded and how the problems are posed. I guess we shall see though.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 21, 2013

There is no PARCC for 12th grade, so my teaching team is the first one to change to Common Core as opposed to aligning with state standards for the state tests. The other teams are already planning their structures to teach to Common Core standards, which will include practice for PARCC.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2013

We're working on short response answers this year. It has been a huge struggle.... they're constantly asking for multiple-choice. But I know that they need this and so we carry on.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 27, 2013

My second graders are struggling with the increase in rigor. Their parents are flipping out because suddenly little Johnny no longer gets all A's. Johnny is now getting C's.

9. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Feb 27, 2013

I'd like to see some sample questions for 8th grade math. If anyone has seen them, please let me know. I was able to access the PARCC site and see some 7th grade math sample items.

The 7th grade samples looked rigorous. I expected this with the new common core standards, but would like to be more prepared as I teach my 8th graders next year!

10. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Feb 27, 2013

PARCC is killing my kids! We are starting to do practice problems with them, and they are bombing them. Even the high kids are getting 0/7 and 2/7's. Luckily we won't switch over completely for 2 more years but were trying to get kids ready for it.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 27, 2013

We are dying. Our high kids aren't even doing well. And don't even ask about ELLs or SPED kids. We are doing to have a huge nosedive in our scores. I kind of wish it would just happen already so we can just see where our biggest weaknesses lie.