Paras- salary/benefits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 23, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

I just applied for a Para position. It is an hourly position. Do they still get paid over Christmas break at all, or no since they are not working? I wasn't sure if they had holiday days or leave days to use.

I can totally swing the salary as long as I don't have to worry about not getting paid for weeks at a time.

(Pay is $24/hr for this particular position.)

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 23, 2013

I've never heard of a para getting paid for days they don't work...but I've also never heard of a para getting 24 dollars an hour! That's practically what I make as a teacher! Is there a reason it's so high- something that's really difficult in this position, or perhaps it's really more of a teaching position and they're calling it a para to save money? In my previous building they got benefits but only made 8 dollars an hour on days they worked. Most of them were basically working for the insurance rather than the money. They didn't have any paid sick days...they were allowed to take time off if necessary, but they wouldn't get paid for that day. Since it's hourly and not salary, I can't imagine any scenario where you'd get money for hours you don't work.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

$24 an hour?!?! Wow!!! I'm in an extremely high COL area and I've never heard of more than $16 an hour, even for paras working with students with severe special needs.

When I worked as an after school para, I actually did get a few vacation days - I think I got maybe 10 for the year. They were spread out so we got paid for maybe 2 days of Thanksgiving break, 5 days of Christmas break, 3 days of spring...etc...something like that. I can't remember exactly. But you had to work a certain amount of time to earn those vacation days. It was awhile ago, so I honestly don't remember. I doubt they would get paid for the entire vacation, but vacation pay for paras does happen. If they pay such a high hourly rate, then maybe they treat them well as far as vacation pay goes.

Side note - that district I worked for may have given paras vacation days, but it was nearly impossible to work full time. They would make sure the paras stayed under 30 hours so they didn't have to provide benefits. That's par for the course around here. So it wasn't as good of a situation as it sounds.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

It is an interventionist position. It is listed as a para, but it requires a degree. It is pretty confusing. It is grant funded but not Title I.
    It is only 28 hours per week. But 24 x 28 = 672 a week. I'm only making $732 a week teaching full time, but of course I get paid year round.
    I was thinking I could work retail Friday and Saturday to make up for the weeks I wouldn't get paid.

If you figure my current hours (9.25 hours a day), this would be a raise!

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

That doesn't sound like a bad job at all! I would definitely go for it. They MAY offer vacation days - it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you worked retail also, wouldn't you be able to get more hours during Christmas, maybe helping to make up for not being in school? Just a thought. I have never worked retail.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

Interesting. I don't understand the para part of this.

When I was a classified employee, we did get some holiday pay...but over Christmas break there maybe have been two days...not two weeks.

8. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

Well, you live in Michigan. As of right now, there are two states (in my opinion) that it doesn't make sense/isn't worth it to be a teacher in, the other being Alaska. Go for the pay now, because the retirement in those states is below horrible (if you were hired after the switch to defined contribution).

9. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Aug 23, 2013

FWIW, I teach two-year-olds and am technically employed as a para by the school district. We get paid on the same schedule as teachers- year round (including during breaks) and we also still get paid on snow days/two-hour delay days. We also get a certain amount of sick leave and personal leave. That said, I am guessing that this is not the way all districts/schools do it, so you might have to ask them directly to get some definitive answers.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

I believe at 28 hours, they aren't required under Obamacare to give health care benefits. :(

11. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

I'm a part time para. I don't get benefits or paid for hours that I don't work, so no pay during holidays or anything.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

Don't view what you make now as $732. per week. That may be what you are paid, but they are stretching your actual salary over 52 weeks instead of the 36 or so weeks you are required to be there.

I have never heard of paras being paid for any time except when they are in the building.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

Teachers don't get paid for holidays either; we are paid for the time we are contracted to be there (185 days for me), but are paid on a certain schedule. The money I am paid in the summer, I already earned during the previous year.

14. kab164

kab164 Companion

Aug 24, 2013

Our full time aides get full benefits, no pay for snow days and probably 1/2 of what that job pays.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

Our paras get some holidays paid (like Labor Day and Christmas Day, etc.), but they do not get paid over breaks. They also get 10 paid sick days, I believe. I hate that part... because they don't hesitate to use them. Anyway, it sounds like it varies amongst schools and regions.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

You don't think they should get sick days? Or not paid sick days?

17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

I don't mind them getting sick days, paid or not. I guess I just wish there weren't so many. The ones I work with don't hesitate to use them for any tiny, little thing. Teachers get sick days, too, obviously. But knowing the importance of our job, most of us only use them when we're truly ill, have an emergency, or need a mental health day. We don't use them just because we have them... at least I don't know any teachers that do this. With paras, the ones I know anyway, it's a different story. They don't have loads of work resting on their shoulders. They just show up, do their job, and leave. Many I work with take every single one of their paid sick days because they're there. Now, if it was easier to get subs for the paras, I wouldn't mind quite as much. But 90% of the time a para uses a sick day, the teacher is stuck doing the para's duties on top of the usual teacher duties, as no subs take the job. Those days are always bad days. My thought is that, if paras were given fewer paid sick days, they may come to work more often, therefore leaving teachers in a bind less often.

18. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

I know, but that was OP's question.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

Teachers do get paid holidays in my district - not all holidays, but about 10 or so.

20. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

Paras here are on a salary. Their annual pay is divided equally over the paychecks they receive over 10 months. They do get health and dental insurance, same as the teachers.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2013

I worked for a grocery store and got some paid holidays.

In NC, we were only paid 10 months. The other days during Christmas break were 'annual leave' days, so they were paid time off.

It appears that holiday pay varies a lot. I expected that. I guess I'll ask if I have the opportunity to interview.

22. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 24, 2013

That's how it is here too for Teachers and Para's....in some districts you can opt to be paid over 10 months or 12 months and your pay, based on contracted days to work, is divided by 10 or 12.