Paraprofessionals?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Sep 11, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 11, 2006

Does anyone have paraprofessionals that work with your students? Each one of my students has a 1:1 para that accompanies them in the general education classroom and at their specials.

Today I was informed that when my students come down to my room that their paras will not be with them in my room. But my problem is that all of my students are at different levels and require assistance with basic activities. I do have a para that stays in my room all day, but there is no way that she can work with a group of three-four of them while I am doing 1:1 instruction.

I need help/advice on what to do next. If they require a para for the general education classroom to stay on task and complete work then why is it not the same in my classroom?

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 11, 2006

What does their IEP say? What will you be teaching them?

I have a K-2 mild autism class with 6 students and only 1 parapro. The year before last I had 10 students with one pararpo. They function anywhere from pre-K to grade level in some subject areas. When my parapro does mainstreaming I am left alone with whoever is left. Can your parapro do the 1-on-1 and you do the small group or have the small group do centers with your parapro supervising them while you work 1-on-1.

4. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 11, 2006

My students are at various levels in their academics. I teach writing, reading and math. Right now I have been teaching reading while my para works on writing with the students (a.m.). Then in the afternoon while I teach math I have been having her help finish worksheets or create a craft. I tried small group my first week and it did not work. My students need 1:1 time to demonstrate their knowledge.

I have not yet begun my centers. I will try that tomorrow in the p.m. I will see how that goes.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 11, 2006

It can be done! It took me a year to figure out how it will work for me and for me to feel like my students were getting all that they could out of my class.

I do teach all of my students reading at the same time. My group includes non-readers and readers, students with high receptive skills and students who need everything reprased to ensure their understanding. I divide my students into 3 groups. I work with a group, my parapro has a group and a group is at centers. I have the lowest group so I stay with them for the whole reading period and I have the other 2 groups rotate through my parapro. We are doing the SRA reading program, so it is scripted and I am therefore not worried about my parapro teaching my other 2 groups. Twice a week I do a large group reading activity and we may do the same assignment but they are modified for each student. My parapro assists students as needed.

Everyone is at different levels in math but we all have the same essential question -- ie. we will all be working on addition or subtraction or patterns.... They will just have assignments on varying levels. I work with my 4 first graders together. They all have different assignments but I give 3 students review work while they wait for their turn with me to get their assignment. When I do whole group hands-on activities, I send students back to their work area when I reach their learning goal and they work on review work or a simple assignment that they can do without assistance while I elaborate on my lesson with the other students.

I teach a whole group writing lesson and usually assign the same assignment but modify it as needed. I give 1-on-1 instruction during journaling.

6. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 11, 2006

Thank you so much for all of your help. I know that it will work, but right now I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I just need to give it a shot and it will be a trail and error for a little bit. Again thank you so much.

7. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

8. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 12, 2006

Actually we write fall IEPs. I will be writing them within the next month.

I have been considering rotating the paras so that there is at least one of the paras in my classroom.

Thanks for everything, it really helped me.

9. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Sep 13, 2006

I am a 1:1 paraprofessional, and I need to be with my student at all times except for ST, OT, PT, and adapted gym. I enjoy being with my student during the special education classes, as I am learning some good behavior management techniques.