Paraprofessional Question

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by teacherchick, Jan 5, 2006.

1. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 5, 2006

Our district islooking at how we assign 1:1 aides and classroom instructional/inclusion aides. WE really have no criteria on when a child gets an aide and when they don't. I was wondering if anyone here has any checklists/criteria that they use in their TEAM decision making for aides. Thanks

Michelle

3. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 5, 2006

anyone??

4. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Jan 11, 2006

Children are often given one to one for the following reasons: Danger to self & others, medical necessity, and impulsiveness (ie: escape artists, unable to stay on task to an extreme degree)

5. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Feb 2, 2006

I work in a special education program which is the last step before non-public school placement. My program is employed by the districts to serve their students that they have difficulty finding appropriate placement due to their severe disabling conditions. I know that we are only allowed one-one behavior intervention when the student is a danger to self and others, health-care medical procedures, or when a student has severe behavior difficulties. I would ask if your district has a policy on what they will consider before assigning a one:eek:ne behavior assistant. I would also recommend that you have data collection back you up if you need extra help.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    Aspieteacher

6. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Feb 3, 2006

Right now we have no criteria on who gets a 1:1 specifically they have in the past jsut decided. We are now attemptingto put together a formal piece of paperwork/checklist to go thru at a mtg. when we thinka 1:1 may be necessary.