Paraprofessional paid during winter, spring , summer vacantions?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by WayOfTeaching, Feb 10, 2016.

1. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Feb 10, 2016

Could someone please tell me if paraprofessionals are paid during winter, spring and summer vacantions?
    I live in Austin, Texas.
    Do they usually work part time or full time in a public school?
    Thank you in advance!

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 10, 2016

The answers to your questions will vary widely from state to state and even between districts. You should contact your HR department for specific information.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2016

I agree.

In my district, paras are typically paid hourly, so they do not get paid for breaks from school. They don't have their pay spread out over the year like teachers do, either. We do have both full- and part-time paras.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 10, 2016

Definitely depends on district!
    I had a friend who started as a para due to not being able to find a teaching job. The district she worked at paid hourly, but she was also paid during no school days (minus summer vaca). And since she was certified, they allowed her to sub in the school she worked in with higher (sub) pay (that's one way to get your foot in the door!!)
    One of the districts I interviewed in last summer paid salary so their paras do get paid over breaks/vacations. It came out to about $16/hour for actual hours worked, but obviously was very low in terms of yearly income. They are also given full benefits!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 10, 2016

Ours are paid hourly.

7. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 10, 2016

When I was a para, I was salaried, so I got paid over holidays and summer break. This was in PA.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2016

Not in my district. Paras are hourly employees. Hours are kept below the threshold for any benefits.
    This varies by district.

9. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Feb 11, 2016

Does anybody live in Austin, Texas?
    Do you know how paras are paid in Round Rock ISD, Leander ISD or Austin ISD?
    Thank you so much for all your help!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2016

I live about two hours from Austin but I don't know how they're paid. When I was going to college, I interned in a few Austin schools. They had a lot of certified teachers as aides since it was so competitive.

I've worked in several different parts of the state. Everywhere I've worked has been hourly and miserly.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2016

Austin's website says $12.82 - $16.02/hour based on documented experience. Some positions have benefits.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2016

Leander is $12.15 to $14.58 per hour.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 12, 2016

Round Rock has several pay scales for assistants. They list assistant I to assistant III. Their pay ranges from a little over eleven an hour to almost fourteen an hour.

14. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Feb 14, 2016

As others have said, this will vary widely. I have worked as a para in both public and private schools in two states and have been salaried at both jobs, and have gotten paid on the same schedule the lead teachers do.

15. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Feb 19, 2016

What does assistant 1,2,3 mean? Thank you!

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 19, 2016

Contact the district. I have no idea.

17. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Apr 10, 2016

Hi, I work as a Sped Para in Connecticut.

We are now salaried employees (thanks to our new union) it comes out to about $16.00 an hour and we get a full benefit package, including health insurance, sick & personal days, holidays and a Pension plan.

And again, because of our union, we now get paid over Winter and Spring breaks..our pay started on the first week of school, September 4th this year and goes until the last Friday in June..regardless of when school lets out. We never lose a weekly paycheck..we get 43 paychecks now, in the past only 39 checks I believe, it was rough!!!!

This year we are getting out on the 15th of June but will continue to receive a paycheck until the end of June (2 additional checks) until Summer School begins in July.

You only get paid over the summer ONLY if you work Summer School which I do...not everyone does though.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  18. LishaGisha

LishaGisha Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

I started at my school two school years ago (14-15) and was hourly, but got a "raise" to salary this past school year (15-16) and will remain salaried through at least next year, as I just signed my contract to stay :)

19. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

Jun 7, 2016

We are signing our contracts on Friday, next week is our last week (Wednesday last day) so they are cutting it close this year. And yes, salary is nice....very nice:)

Just curious..was that automatic? Or is it based on years of service?

Ours was a union thing, and I am so glad they stepped in to fix things for us.

20. americo Galindez

americo Galindez New Member

Aug 11, 2021

In NYC paras are paid during all breaks... and certainly not $16.00 an hour even 5 years ago.... depends on your level of education (how many credits you have) and years of service.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 12, 2021

My mom is a teacher's aide in a public school and I know she gets paid for September to June but not during the summer since she has the option of working in summer school if she wants. Full benefits but paid hourly which would depend on your district. I only subbed when I had another side job that had benefits.

22. americo Galindez

americo Galindez New Member

Aug 12, 2021

Depends on the state.. paras in New York City get paid during the summer and can make extra money called per session if they work the summer. Per session is an hourly salary received on top of your regular pay.