Paraprofessional interview tomorrow...HELP!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsK, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MsK

MsK Rookie

Aug 19, 2009

I am interviewing for a full time paraprofessional position. It is listed as a "Teacher Assistant" on their website (they also have "Teacher Aide" positions open...I am unsure of the difference between the two). It is for the junior high although I am certified in elementary ed. Any suggestions as to what they might ask? And what should I bring? I'm going to bring my portfolio and a mini-portfolio (resume, references, brochure). HELP!

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

I was a paraprofessional for a 9th grade class. I didn't prepare for the interview at the time, just winged it. Having an elementary certification was my ticket in, because the students were all on an elementary level academically.

I have a feeling that might be the case with the position you are interviewing for as well. So feel confident that you can do this job, and I think that whatever they will ask, you can answer!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

Good luck!

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2009

Good luck Ms. K!!! You'll do great!

6. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 20, 2009

Good luck! I just got a paraprofessional job. I brought the same packet I had been sending out for teaching positions- cover letter, resume, letters of rec, and I threw in transcripts and certification. I had my portfolio with me but I never had to take it out because the conversation never led there. She just wanted to know about my experience working with children similar to those I would be working with. I was lucky in the sense that it was very conversational. Hope you have the same results!!!

7. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

I've been a teaching assistant for the past several years - looking for a full-time teaching position. I agree with mccl14, just bring what you normally bring for a teaching position. Having a para with a teaching certificate is well worth their money! Usually a teacher aide is not certified. In NY teaching assistants have to be certified as a teaching assistant. We take a test to become certified. However, in your case, you may not have to take this test because you are a qualified teacher. You will do fine! Good Luck. I feel it's a great foot in the door.

8. MsK

MsK Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Ok...final question. If I am interviewing with two people, should I bring them both a folder with my interview materials (resume, references, interview brochure) and should I also bring a cover letter addressed to each of them?

9. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 20, 2009

If you know there will be two of them there, it definitely won't hurt to have one for each of them. That way, they won't have to look over each others shoulders for any information they want. If you know who will be there and can easily address 2 cover letters, go for it. Otherwise, just address them both to the principal. I wouldn't go crazy over finding the name of the second person, though. Chances are, they won't read it while you are in there because they already have- that is probably how you got the interview in the first place! For me, they just scanned my resume and asked questions based off of that.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2009

Good luck!

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Best Wishes....

as for the term?

"You say Tomayto, and I say Tomahto"!

Often times THEY don't even know the difference (and even if they DID...the next district has a WHOLE new idea). Go on the districts website. See if there is anything there that talks about job descriptions/compensations, etc.

12. MsK

MsK Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

My interview went really well and I will find out early next week if I have the position! Now, however, I am trying to write my thank you letters. I am trying to find the correct wording but am finding it difficult. I do not want to send both interviewers the same letter.

It was a pleasure to meet with you on Thursday August 20th. As indicated during the interview, I am very interested a teaching assistant position with the _______ School District.

As mentioned during the interview, I have had the opportunity to work with diverse groups of students. These opportunities have allowed me to work collaboratively with team members in order to differentiate instruction and develop stimulating lesson plans that accommodate each student’s needs. (I need another sentence here and feel that the wording is off in this paragraph)

I have enjoyed my time as a substitute teacher in your district and getting to know many of the students, faculty, and staff. I look forward to the possibility of joining the ________ staff as a teaching assistant. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.