Paraprofessional difficulty:

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anewstart101, Apr 25, 2012.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Apr 25, 2012

It is a long story. I am having difficulty with one paraprofessional with things such as going over my head and having some mis-preceptions. The special ed. director is involved and so are others. Things are snowballing out of control.

It has really overwhelmed me and I am exhausted physically and mentally. Please give me some tips on how to put this in perspective.

I am now taking it home with me and need to be able to put it aside but it really is what will happen next.

Thanks

3. cult

cult Rookie

Apr 25, 2012

This is really tough, and I don't know what I would do in a similar situation.

Before I became a teacher I worked for several years as a para, in a few different districts. There was one position where I inadvertantly found myself at odds with my supervising teachers. I did not mean to cause problems but I did so accidentally, because the school culture was a very poor fit for my working style. I have no idea if my situation mirrors yours in any way. What I can tell you is that if my supervising teachers had communicated with me instead of silently stewing (and then allowing things to explode in a very uncomfortable and humiliating way, for me), that I would have cleaned up my act and done what they asked. I truly did not understand (at that time) how disruptive and disrespectful my actions were to the functioning of the department.

I don't know if this helps or not but I do sympathize with you.

4. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Apr 26, 2012

para difficulty

Sounds like things are beyond repair at this point, and you'll have to do some reflection in the future to possibly prevent it from happening again. In my district, the teachers eval paras, not the other way around, so hopefully this is the case for you. It is hard not to get defensive, but this is probably the last thing you want to do. Listen carefully to any statements the para is making, rephrase what the para is saying, and then state your response using "I" statements. Do not attack, do not defend your actions. You are doing the best you can and your ultimate goal is to do the best by your students. Treat this as a learning experience and practice doing an FBA on the para. I there something in the working environment that I can change to improve how paras feel about their job? What is he/she trying to communicate by their behavior? Unfortunately, sometimes difficult paras can be just as hard to manage as a student's difficult behavior. Good luck. It was a shock to me how much teaching involved people management skills with co-workers and colleagues.