Parapro Problems

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by teresaglass, Nov 2, 2006.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 2, 2006

I am working a long term sub position as a resource teacher. I replaced a teacher who went on medical leave. I have been at this high school for a monht. I have had a really squirrelly 9th grade class and I have had to really discipline them. My 10th grade class is okay but 2 boys talked rather loudly today in the 20th grade class and my parapro yelled at them. I was teaching from the overhead. I kept them after clas, had a conference with them and was about to call their parents when my parapro exploded at me. She told me that the kids in my 10th grade class were not learning anything and that the two boys were too noisy. She also said that I was lax in my discipline. She is leaving soon and is not helping me at all. This is the third time she has criticized me. During the first few weeks I was there she remarked that the department chair had to come to my room all of the time. I wish she would just quit. The kids in my tenth grade class told me they do not like having her there because she yells at them. I am fraid to talk to her because the two department chairs are friends with her and they are constantly telling me how to run myclassroom. I am doing what they say. I feel that I do not have any authority and that I sam being treated like a rookie teacher because I am a sub.I have had several years teaching and I possess a special ed. credential. It is starting to get better but I do not like having this aide in my room. She compares me to the other teacher and tells me how great the other teacher is. I feel like I am a burden and I am so unhappy I would like to quit but I really like the students and I feel they are doing better. The people at the district office and the department chairs think I am doing okay. I am just worried that this assistant wants to get me kicked out because she wants the other teacher to come back. the parapro:( is leaving in a month and she either takes sick leave or hardly helps me when I am there. I am overworked and burned out. What can I do? I am miserable. TErry G.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2006

Fortunately, you're a sub, so you can just say you're not coming back. I wouldn't worry about the aide thinking that you couldn't hack it. After all, you never have to sub for that class ever again if you don't want to. Why put up with that madness?! You can be subbing elsewhere. Unless you want to stay to prove the aide wrong & that you are a good teacher, that of course is your choice. How much longer is this assignment? Another week or two is one thing. You can probably hold out till the end, but another month or two is a different story.

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Nov 3, 2006

How long is the LTS? And when is this aide leaving?

If you can, just hang in until she leaves. If it continues, you may just have to mention to her that you are following procedures learned during your coursework and sped certification. You were chosen over other candidates to fill this position because of your qualifications and she needs to remember that all teachers have different teaching styles. You ARE NOT that other teacher, and do not need to follow her procedures. You can be perfectly capable AND successful teaching in your way!!
    Try to look at it as a learning experience in how to deal with difficult people! Good luck with it - as if you weren't working hard enough to teach the kids, you have to deal with her! :(

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Nov 4, 2006

She is leaving at the end of November. I am supposed to do the LTS assignment until February. It may work into a full time position if the regular teacher decides not to come back. I am following the school discipline procedure. One of the other new aides in the department told me that this aide treats all new personnel this way.
    Anyway the toher teachers including the two department chairs think I am doing fine. I am following their suggestions and it is getting better. I fell that they really want me here. Thanks for asking. Terry G.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2006

Terry, the way I see it, she is hoping to intimidate you along with her cronies. She is probably the one inviting them into your room all the time too. She wants you to break down so she has power.

I say hold out till she leaves. It sounds like she is the real problem. She may make your life miserable for a few more weeks, but don't blow an opportunity to possibly get a full time position either. She's leaving. She has no investment in this district.

Good luck. Stay strong. You don't owe her anything.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Nov 4, 2006

Terry, you can make it! She's only there a few more weeks.
    Keep up the good work!
    Just think, once she is gone, the administrators will see what a good job you are doing, and you will not have her negative comments hanging over your head!