Parapro Job? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by isabunny, Aug 5, 2013.

1. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

I just emailed a whole bunch of resume/cover letters to principals in my local elementary schools asking if they had any unexpected openings to keep me in mind. I immediately got a response from a principal asking if I would be interested in a parapro job running a Advanced Strategy Lab for 1-5th graders (game lab to encourage critical skill building).

I got so excited! I went online to see how much parapro's make.... $13,000 a year for full time. Is it worth it to get my foot in the door to maybe get a teaching position next year? I actually have an interview at Trader Joe's next week. Of course, it is not my true profession, but will pay double the parapro without any homework. Decisions, Decisions..... It just seems like $13,000 is really low to run a whole lab. What do you guys think! Am I crazy to skip an opportunity to teach?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

Can you afford to live on that salary? If you can, do it. If not, you need to move on or secure a second job.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 5, 2013

Could you do both? Trader Joe's would likely be part time.

Oh wait, is the parapro job full time? Those are SUPER rare around here (actually, basically nonexistent) so I just assumed it would be part time.

If you can swing it, I think being a parapro is very valuable experience. I was an RSP aide for a semester because I graduated in December. That experience was looked upon very favorably by my current school.

Depending when schools start in your area, I wouldn't give up on a classroom teaching job just yet...

5. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Sorry but 13,000 a year wouldn't pay my rent for the year so I wouldn't take it.

6. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I just accepted a para job after being out from teaching for 10 years. It was almost impossible to find a teaching position because of my long absence. But I wouldn't change it for the world because I've been blessed to be able to stay home with my 3 children.

Now that I'm back into my career path, I want to explore being a special Ed teacher (I was a kinder teacher). I'm working to add the sped certificate this coming year in hopes to find a sped teacher job in the next year or two. But I chose to be a para in a sped class to put it in my résumé. I feel it can really help me to have that experience.

The pay is roughly 20,000-27,000 a year. $14-20 an hour pay depending on experience.

7. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

I would take it for the experience if you can afford to live off of that salary.

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Its exactly the same for me. This year I am full time with benefits as a TA (i was part time for 2 yrs) and I love it :D I am working as an ECE Resource/Sped TA at a new school this year.

I am so grateful to have this position and with a great benefit package too! And yes our Sped TA's start out at $14.06 to $20.72 an hour (ABA assistants make the most) per our new contract agreement..we are on a salary step system. We have a union as well which is good.

Good Luck to you. Many TA's in our district are Certified School Teachers and want to keep their foot in the door while bringing home a paycheck.

9. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

:2cents:If you could live off the parapro income, you should take it. It will look better on your resume to have that experience, and you will continue making connections in your field. I think Trader Joe's would be good in conjunction with the TA job.

FYI... I am currently working ESY in my dream district, and my supervisor (also a teacher in the district) told me I could be a TA there to get my foot in the door, and my chances of getting a teaching job would be greater because the district prefers hiring from within. Food for thought.

10. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Thanks for all the great insights. If the job was closer to home I would be more excited. It's about 35 minutes (without traffic) one way. With Atlanta traffic it could take an hour. Not too bad, but with gas prices the low salary would be hard to take.

If it was $14 hourly, that would be worth it! I figured it is only $7.25 and not hourly. I would definitely be more into it if it was a standard TA job also. That way I could get some on the job mentoring! I am thinking they are using the term Parapro to keep the salary low, but the job is to run a whole lab for all the students. I am thinking it is like art/pe where whole classes come in for a specific time period during the week. That could mean I see 600-700 students a week.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 5, 2013

I think that type of para job is very valuable experience. My friend was a tech lab para last year and she was able to get a job in another state afterwards.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2013

:thumb:
    This para job would give you great experience.

13. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I interviewed for a job like that. Basically a para salary to teach a technology special. But I would have done it in a heartbeat to get the experience. Instead I am doing a long term sub as a sped para to see how it goes. Good Luck!1

14. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 6, 2013

That is great pay for a Para.....the pay for Para's here is between $13k - $17k depending on experience and school division.

15. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I just started a job as a para...$7.36/hr! Depressing, but it works on to be the same a day as subbing.