Paranoid about resigning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Jul 15, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

I went in today to fill out paperwork for my new job. No contract or anything- I can't be given one until after board approval on the 28th. They can't even give me an income statement for my apartment until the 29th. However, in my paperwork were two forms that will go to my old district- one requesting my background check, the other regarding disciplinary information. So my old district will know today, or at the latest, by the end of the week.

I'm nervous about resigning until the 29th. But I feel guilty. And they are going to know!!

I'm going to be teaching summer school in the new district. I thought about emailing my P and telling her about this. It will also mean that I will miss a voluntary training. So my email could be something like "I just wanted to let you know that I will not be attending XYZ training in August. I've taken a summer school job at ABC district. Thanks, giraffe" Then they would think the information being requested is about summer school. While not an outright lie, it is one of omission.

I'm 95% sure that I have nothing to worry about. I was sent for a physical and drug test today. They wouldn't pay for things like that unless they were going to hire me. It is just after this last year, I feel like I need to protect myself.

Opinions??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

I'd probably go with this.

4. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 15, 2014

Is there some way you can let your old district know you might not be returning, without officially resigning yet? That way the P could start thinking about filling your position, and when you do resign, will not be caught by surprise. I just think if you tell them the forms are just for summer school, then in two weeks they find out you are taking a job there, they will feel you have been dishonest, know what I mean?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

Dear P,

As you know, I have applied to positions in such-and-such district. I was recently offered a position with them, and have accepted the position. While I love my current position and school, this position will be a better fit for me professionally and personally. My job offer is contingent on board approval on July 28, and I expect to turn in a letter of resignation at that time, should the job be formally offered to me. I wanted to make sure you heard this from me first, and should the job offer fall through, I will happily be returning to my current position.

Sincerely,

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

She has already been contacted for a reference check. So she knows I've interviewed for SOMETHING.

7. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 15, 2014

I wish I could give you some advise, but I'm in the same position. My P was extremely mean last year when I let him know that I was interviewing because of distance. This year I got my dream job. I accepted verbally almost 3 weeks ago and have been waiting on paperwork ever since. While it's driving me crazy waiting, I'm not officially telling my old P until I get my contract. It's unfair to him to make him wait this long but I feel like if he didn't over react last year I could have been up front with him this year. I haven't even gone to clean out my old classroom because I don't want to tell him yet. My new P agreed that I should wait until I get the contract. She has already told me what I'm teaching and given me the key to my classroom.

Good luck.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 15, 2014

I'd go with summer school, but I would also be prepared to fully resign if asked about next year. As long as you aren't breaking next year's contract, there's not much they can do about it anyway. Schools fill positions last minute all the time for various reasons. Your old P will be fine.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 15, 2014

I like this if you want to be truly honest. However using the summer school reason will work too.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to email about summer school and mention that they are considering me for next year too.

Luckily I took all of my personal belongings with me so that is not a concern :)

11. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 15, 2014

Nice stealthy work there.

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

I think going the summer school route is being very unfair to your current principal. You have a new job, barring some unforeseen technicality. You can be honest to them without turning in an official letter of resignation, and by doing so, you give them the best opportunity to find a worthy replacement.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

You should let your new school P know that you are concerned about resigning without official paperwork/board approval in hand. There's a good chance the two Ps have lready spoken and leaving your former P unaware is not good form.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Well, I was a mid year hire. I only took about 4 boxes of my own stuff there. I knew I was changing grade levels and classrooms, so I just took it all home.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2014

You seem to have the correct idea on how to proceed. Formalities are SO aggravating.

16. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

This is a good point. Do you know, when your new P did the reference check, whether she stated what the check was for?

17. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

I'm in a similar boat.

I'm also worried about health insurance? Does it stop when we resign?

I would love to send an e-mail letting them know I won't be returning but I'm afraid I'll lose my health insurance. I haven't signed yet, but pigs will fly before I return to that school.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

I don't know about health insurance. It is one of my concerns as well. I need to ask when my insurance will go into effect. I only have one workday/PD day- August 28. Maybe I will shoot the HR lady at my new district. Maybe she will know about insurance with the old district, too. If I find anything out, I will let you know.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you all for your opinions.
    I ended up sending an email stating:
    A. I will be teaching summer school at ABC district.
    B. I will be unable to attend the optional PD days due to summer school.
    C. That ABC has offered me a position. This is where the truth stretching comes in- I am telling her that I am undecided, but will tell her ASAP. I figure I can buy myself a week. Then send her a poorly worded email stating that I chose ABC district, and I have mailed her an official letter. I will drag my feet about sending said letter.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

I feel terrible. I really, really do. But every single time I've thought "It is going to be OK! I'm finally back on track!", a rug gets ripped out from under me. Financially, all the drama (between my house that took forever to sell and the fact that they screwed up my pay and I'm not getting paid this summer) has ruined me. I can't afford a misstep. Literally. If not for my parents, I would have lost everything and declared bankruptcy.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

Poorly worded? Dragging feet? I'm sorry, giraffe, but at that point, it's all moot. I understand you are trying to protect your job security, but preserving your integrity and reputation are just as, if not more, important. Leave on good terms.

22. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 15, 2014

I would get behind this 100% if only companies/employers would extend the same line of thinking.

I am not giving any advice one way or the other.

I am just tired of the employee having to be the one with integrity, reputation..etc when corporations simply put a chain-link lock across the doors on Christmas to let the employees know they don't have a job.

Giraffe would prolly have a much easier time letting her employer know the truth, it the truth wasn't, that the company wouldn't extend the same integrity or respect to her if they wanted to let her go.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

The 'company' isn't letting her go. Probably best not to base one's own integrity on the perceived lack of such in others. The best course of action might be to express concerns to the hiring P and get advice on how to proceed rather than playing fast and loose with a soon to be prior employer. Best not to burn bridges.:2cents:

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Right now, paying my bills is a higher priority than burning bridges. They will still have my resignation well over a month before the school year begins.

The last year has taught me to stop judging people for looking out for their own best interest. Previously, I've advised people to take jobs they weren't sure of, commit to them, stop looking, and I've looked down at people who broke those 'rules'. Well, since I've now been there, I can no longer pass judgement. I know what it is like to be in a nightmare situation. To cry hysterically at the thought of spending one more day at a job. I now truly believe that you have to take care of yourself.

25. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 15, 2014

Like I said, i gave no advice at all. Please read what I quoted, I responded pretty specifically.

My response was to the employees being the ones with respect and integrity while companies typically have a very different approach.

26. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

I totally understand the feeling of wanting to make sure you have a job... I just don't understand what you'd stand to lose by telling your current principal that you have found a new job and will be resigning once it's official.

27. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2014

Tough lesson to learn, but I think you're on the right track now. :hugs:

28. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 15, 2014

Agreed, why is the truth an issue?

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

I told her I had an offer. Which was more than I was originally leaning towards.

Had I worked at this school for years, I would feel more comfortable being straight forward. Since I've only worked there since February, I just don't feel comfortable stating I'm going to resign in case something happens and I don't.

30. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

giraffe, you need to think about you, your life, health and overall well being. I have been there where losing your home, lost pay and worry over paying bills becomes so over whelming you lose sleep and can't eat...its literally depressing!

Take care of you and Congrats on the new job!

You deserve it:hugs:

31. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

I think you have given your p enough hints so I doubt you are leaving her completely in the dark. She has her nightlight on from your hints and is probably interviewing (my p interviews when he is given hints). You come first, and with your past history I think you are doing what is best for you right now. And technically, you are not 100% hired so there is no reason to tell her that yet. Best of luck :love:

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks for the kind words and understanding.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks :) They posted a music position in May and they haven;t interviewed. Plus they will actually have to hire a pre-K teacher- a fact they've known since April, and they've yet to post that job. As I said, my resignation will be turned in 5-6 weeks before the students start, so they should have plenty of time to find a replacement.

With my old P, I was totally 10000% honest when I was looking. She was very supportive. But I worked with her for 6 years! This P I've only worked for for 5 months. My job (either one!) is not secure enough to gamble!

34. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 15, 2014

I think you've said enough but not too much to your current P. I'm sure your contract will sail through, and then you can relax and enjoy preparing for your new job.

When does summer school run? This seems very late by CA standards.

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

August 4- August 21. As long as I start the new job, I only work August 28th as a salaried teacher. Then kids come back the day after Labor Day.

36. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2014

One thing I would be concerned about is if you are paid year-round. In some districts, if they pay you in July and August and you resign, you have to pay back your pay and insurance cost. I would definitely call hr and find out to avoid problems in the future.

Also, I was surprised they are getting your background information from your old district. Here they have to run a new check every time you change districts.

37. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 15, 2014

About the insurance, your union reps should know.

38. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2014

Here you have to go get fingerprinted and background checked at an ISD or RESA (intermediate school district or regional something something). YOU pay the $60 or so to get it done. Mine was just completed in September for the sub company I worked for. It is valid as long as I do not go even a single day without employment. If I resign even a day too early, I have to go back and get refingerprinted and pay another $60.

As far as pay- they screwed mine up and I'm not getting paid this summer, so that is a moot point :tired: (They overpaid me. I was given a pay schedule that told me when I was going to get paid. They even highlighted the days for me. The last highlighted day was August 22. They called me on June 19th to tell me that they made an error and that my last pay day would be June 27th. They had overpaid me all along. Which is why I am now having financial issues yet again. If I had had notice, that would have been a different story! Now I only have enough money to pay my August bills because I'm staying with my parents and they feed me. I have to work summer school to pay September's bills, since my next check won't be until September 5th. It is a nightmare.)

39. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

That is a nightmare :( I know it will work out though.

I'm too afraid to ask my union reps because they'll tell the Principal - same if I call HR.

40. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2014

Are you afraid to ask your school-based Union rep (your co-worker) or your network's Union rep (the person that your school-based Union rep "reports" to). Your network Union rep works for the Union and not at your school so things should be confidential.

If you are talking about your school-based Union rep; what type of shady Union rep is this, reporting things to your P? You and your co-workers need to vote this person out ASAP - although I know Union rep is a job few people want. Couldn't pay me to do it.

41. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

The issue is that the other job isn't official yet. If she resigns from the current one and then something crazy happens with the new one, she's left without a job.