Paperwork?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by webmistress, Jun 1, 2009.

1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 1, 2009

When teachers say they are drowning in paperwork, all I can think of is grading papers and forms to go home to parents. SO what exactly is the paperwork? What does it consist of?

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 1, 2009

IEPs, BIPs, student success plans, office referrals, everyday documentation (parent phone calls, documentation of disruptive students, etc.), school improvement plans, analyzing standardized test data-- to name a few.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2009

to add a few:
    PEPs (different from IEP), special ed testing referrals (and documentation with it), ADHD observation forms, IGPs, update cumulative folders, etc...

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2009

Lesson planning, curriculum mapping, IEPs and all associated documentation (including modifications), discipline referrals, behavior issues, parent contact, grading, report cards, progress reports....

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

Weekly I must turn in - problem solving prompt for all my classes with three copied responses, this year 10 weekly progress reports for students, this year 13 probation reports to the court, and discipline reports for 23 students on discipline contracts this year. This is on top all the other daily paperwork mentioned by the previous posters.

It has gotten more difficult over the years. It I compare the amount of paperwork when I started teaching compared to now, it is unbelieveable :(

7. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

At the beginning of the year, we collect signed handbook forms, Internet permission forms, etc. by homeroom. In class we maintain textbook assignment forms, initial parent contact forms, yearly pre-tests, learning styles inventory, progress reports, etc. The daily paperwork includes daily grades, homework, absentee reports, behavior reports, parent contacts, etc. Besides the daily grind, we maintain test averages and do intervention documentation for students who are at risk of failing. We must document differentiated instruction in our lesson plans, keep student samples, and show student improvement by filling out weekly charts. We also do end-of-the-year cumulative records. Of course, lesson planning, creating assignments and tests to match state requirements, making syllabi, etc. are required. All teachers do a slue of paperwork besides grading papers. The general public is usually unaware of what a teacher's job entails. But this is all secondary to being able to properly maintain several classes of students each day.

8. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

What do you mean by "problem solving prompt" and "three responses"? That sounds interesting. Do each of your students reply to the prompt three times? Where do you get your prompts?

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

Other's that haven't been mentioned IRI's, DIBEL's, ACSIP, weekly assessments, etc.... There's always something that has to be filled out and turned in.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 2, 2009

One of the missions of my school is to develop students to be problem solvers :) so every week we must submit to admin a weekly problem solving prompt or questions for each class/prep we teach. We have to make them up ourselves :D I like for my to be content driven so I have to make up one for AP Euro, APUSH and World History. After I have made up these three and assigned them during class, I have to turn in all three questions with three students responses for each one. We need to submit one low, middle and high response. For example, one of my problem solving prompts for World History this year was "How would you have "fixed" the Treaty of Versailles to avoid future problems?"

So the process isn't hard if you only teach one class, but the more preps you have the more paperwork it generates :( It is a great idea and I receive really great responses. The best part is by the end of the year, my low's were pretty darn good.

OH and BTW - we have to grade all of them too :D

11. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 2, 2009

Wow, lots and lots of paperwork. I understand more clearly now. Thanks for your responses.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

INTeacher-I'm just curious, who do you turn these in to? And what does that person do with the data?

This is one beef I have with the deluge of paperwork I have to turn in. We give it all to a person, who basically puts it in a file, and it sits there, useless. Recently, we got some new school improvement people who do use it more, but it's kind of like assignments for students-if I have to do it, it darn sure better be for a purpose!

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 3, 2009

That is exactly what happens to it - it sets in a file until the accreditation team comes in. Then our P can show the team "look at what we are doing to meet our mission statement." Also, this is our weakest area school wide on our gradation requirement test. So again, in a file to show we are trying to work towards improving our testings result. I am on the school improvement committee and we are working towards using the data for something :D The problem is how do we generate the data, how do teacher's have access to the data, and how does a teacher interpret the data into a useable classroom resource.

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

And multiple test results, with copies of the tests and results going a bazillion different places! And documentation for things like ESLs for which the district can't provide services anyway!