Paperwork Organization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kme93, Jul 29, 2011.

1. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I have an organization question.

I don't have any good ideas about how to organize all of the "extra" paperwork. I'm thinking about stuff like parent contact sheets, behavior documentation, etc. Should I just make a separate folder for each student, or is that overkill? How do you keep all of that "extra" stuff organized?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

I have a hanging folder for each student, with two file folders stuck inside. The first file folder has a behavior documentation form stapled to one side, and a parent contact form on the other. The other folder is used to keep assessment info. and sample work. I like that I can easily pull the folders in and out to record things, but that I can also drop in notes, papers, etc.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

Oh--just saw that you teach HS.

What about a folder for each class, or a binder with tabs for each class period?

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

I would get a really big binder and just have seperate tabs for things like "behavior" and "parent contacts." I'm assuming you're not going to have to document things for the majority of your students, so it seems wasteful to go ahead and make a folder for everyone. If you have a few students that you know you're going to need a lot of documentation for, you could get folders with the punch holes in them and just go ahead and keep them in your binder so that all of the stuff for that particular student is in place.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 29, 2011

I have 8 classes, so a total of around 150 students. I have one large hanging folder that has two more of them placed inside to represent the 2 classes from each grade that I have. In each class folder I have one folder per student. Student work, contact info, etc goes into the folder. Since I have students from 3rd grade to 6th grade, I just have to bump them up to the next folder each year.

For lesson plans, copies, etc, this year I've purchased two 10-pocket hanging folder. For each grade, I will use 3 pockets for daily lessons (I see each class 3 times out of a 6 day cycle), then one pocket for work to grade and another pocket for work to give back and go over. That's 5 pockets per grade-- 4 grades-- 20 pockets. :)

7. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I'm with waterfall... I prefer to keep my papers in a binder, rather than in hanging files, but that's just a personal preference. Get a big 2" binder and index tabs. Label each tab with a number, give each student a number -- that way you can reuse the binder/tabs next year. I suppose you could do the same with hanging folders, but I find a binder is more portable :)

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

I have a large (I think 3 inch) three ring binder and I seperate each period with a divider. At the beginning of the year each paretn fills out contact info etc about their child. I put those in the binder in alphabetical order. When they get a discipline referral, contact home, anything, I put a copy in the binder behind their sheet. For phone calls home, I have a sheet I fill out with details about what we discussed. The binder stays on the shelf by my desk.

9. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 30, 2011

That sounds perfect!! I'm totally a binder person and that seems manageable.

Thanks for all the responses!!!!!:thanks:

10. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 30, 2011

I have a color coded file cabinet...lol, i'm a little OCD with my organization skills.

Blue hanging folders for Calc, Purple for Stat, Green for Algebra 2, Yellow for Geometry, and red for Algebra I.

then in each color coded section i have Manila folders for: signed tests, student contracts, handouts, etc....

11. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 30, 2011

My favorite has been an Excel spreadsheet.

I take an hour at the start of the year and type in my student's names, guardian, home and cell numbers, and email address.

I then document contact right there. It's pretty awesome and can easily be shared among teachers if you work on a team.

12. lovelit

lovelit Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I have color-coded file folders for each class (ex: pink for 1st period, blue for 2nd, and so on).

Any time I have communication with a parent or have graded work I would like to hold on to in case of a parent conference, it goes in the folder. I keep the folders organized alphabetically so that if a parent wants a last-minute conference, I have easy access to his or her child's records.

13. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

Good Idea.. I've often wanted to figure out a way to keep student work but was concerned about the excessive amount of papers etc. I think I will do it this way with the color coding ... :)

BTW: you're welcome for the tip, if you need further details or even the sheet I send home for them to fill out let me know ... ;)

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

I have a large (3-4") binder in which I keep all student records (contact info, medical notes, etc.). I have dividers numbered 1-31 (I hope I never have to USE 31, lol), and each child is given a number, under which all of their "stuff" is filed (school work is filed separately). This year, I plan to carry a clipboard on which I will have a sheet of address labels. On the labels, I will make anecdotal notes regarding behavior and academics, as well as parent contact documentation. I will date each entry and then "stick" them on a piece of looseleaf paper in the appropriate student's section. Does that make sense?

15. kme93

kme93 Companion

Aug 1, 2011

That's a really cool idea!

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2011

I have color-coded hanging files for each student. The file contains work samples, paper IEPs, conference notes, medical plans, etc.

My binder contains a phone log (I enter each call in the color ink assigned to each class), email log, comp log (which has a record of each conference), discipline log, etc.

17. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

I do the same thing as HWilson. On the first day of school, I have students fill out a general information sheet, so that's what I alphabetize in the binder first. Everything else for that particular student goes behind that sheet (e.g. signed expectation sheets, discipline referrals, IEPs, etc.) I also copy a "Communication Log" to the back of the information sheets, which includes spaces for the date, person contacted, and notes.

18. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

:thumb: I like the communication Log on the back of the form.... Good idea!! ;)

19. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 4, 2011

On the first day of school when students turn over their information sheets and see the communication logs, they immediately know that I'll be in touch with their parents throughout the year. It's an easy way for me to inform them of that without even saying anything! :D

20. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 4, 2011

:thumb: Perfect!! I'm "borrowing" that idea!!! :D

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

This is exactly what I do:)

22. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 4, 2011

In my binder I have for each student with tabs 1-31 like the other posters the following:

Student Info Sheet
    Contact Log
    Discipline Log
    Clear page protector to file slips of paper in

23. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Aug 5, 2011

This sounds so simple but so logical - why didn't I think of this myself :whistle:

Thank you for a great idea, I will definately be doing this one :thumb: