Paperwork confusing to new teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 22marmosets, May 15, 2014.

1. 22marmosets

22marmosets New Member

May 15, 2014

Hey all, I just got my credential. I've just started looking for jobs on EdJoin, and all of the applications require a bunch of attachments. I am totally stupid about how I should fulfill these requirements, so I am asking a number of different sources for their input:

1. TB Verification
    2. Live Scan Clearance

I've done TB and Live Scan for jobs before, but the company usually gives me a form that I take to the Live Scan location, and they send it directly to the company. How am I supposed to attach TB Verification and Live Scan?

3. Official Transcripts

From my understanding, any transcripts I access online are not official. So how am I supposed to attach a file that is considered an official transcript? Should I order an official transcript for myself and then open it and scan it? I thought that if the transcript is opened by anybody other than the employer, it's not considered "official," either.

4. Verification of Experience, if applicable

I don't even know what this means.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 15, 2014

They will want a t.b. test within the last 2 years. Go to whatever clinic or organization that did it in the past and ask for a slip saying you were negative that you can scan and attach. Some can actually send it to you online.

I have never got anything from LifeScan either, and the next school can just look it up. I guess you should contact LifeScan and ask them.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 15, 2014

Can you find a generic live scan form, fill out your areas, then scan that? There's one for California at this link http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/fingerprints/forms/BCIA_8016.pdf?

As for the transcripts, I would attach an unofficial transcript, then bring the official ones when they have you come in to fill out your tax forms, benefits, determine your pay scale, etc.

Verification of experience I think is for those who have already been working as a teacher for some time... so that they can determine where you would be on the pay scale.

5. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 15, 2014

TB Clearance - I have this and I agree you can get it from the clinic OR get it from your current school/employer. They have to keep your copy on file.

Livescan - I have never seen this asked for on EdJoin. It makes no sense since you have to pass a fingerprinting test to get your certificate of clearance. I would just attach my certificate of clearance/credential (they can look it up only if you give them your SSN).

Attach unofficial transcripts. I think they just mean it needs to be final and not something you wrote up yourself. Never an issue with this.

Verification of experience is just a letter from your supervisor saying "This person has worked in X capacity from y to Z dates."

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

May 17, 2014

I use my printer/scanner to scan the documents and save them to my desktop. I attach the documents to the application. That's how you deal with this type of attachment. Scan them, browse, and upload. Remember you can save attachments in edjoin to your profile and use them on future applications. That is one option - do you want this attachment only to be used for this application?

1. TB Verification - get a verification when you get the results of the TB test. The place you had the test done will keep results for a certain period of time. You can also ask your current employer - people need TB test results for a variety of reasons so it shouldn't be a problem. I couldn't find mine at one point and had to ask the school secretary for a copy (twice!).

2. Live Scan Clearance - You use an employer code, get it done, and a copy is sent to your employer. You need to get the employer code and/or form from that employer. It's done for the future employer - each district wants their own copy on this.

3. Official transcripts - I get transcripts from my university in two forms - unofficial (not sealed or sealed and then opened) and official (envelope is sealed and typically labeled official transcript). Scan the transcripts and attach to your application. Upon hire you would submit your official transcripts. If you are worried, call the Human Resource Department and how/when to submit the official versions.

4. Verification of Employment - you would have:
    a. letters of reference (job description and dates of employment) and/or
    b. letters of recommendation (job description, dates of employment, and recommendation/praise for your work)

7. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 17, 2014

I hate applying for jobs on EdJoin. I have probably sent in close to 150-200 applications within a 2 year span looking for work. I'm glad that part is over. It's a nice system in its intentions but it is also daunting, inconsistent, and buggy. I guess it's still better than the traditional mail in the paperwork route.

One thing I can say about official transcripts is that they only want official, unopened ones once you are hired. Even though they request official ones online, unofficial ones are fine.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 17, 2014

- transcripts: you can just scan an unofficial one. When they hire you, you can get them an official one.
    - fingerprint clearance: this is normally done by the school (at their expense) when they offer you the job)
    - verification of employment: reference letter from your current boss.