Papers to keep/take home

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by newbie23, Jul 27, 2009.

1. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Can anyone share their procedures for student paperwork (passing back graded papers, school-wide notes, "work-in-progress", etc.)

During my ST I was in 2nd grade and we had mailboxes for each student that were numbered (each student was assigned a number alphabetically to make passing out papers a cinch since you could organize them before passing them out and you didn't have to relabel things for students who left or the next year). Most of the paperwork was put into the mailboxes by student helpers but I handled the graded papers before or after school for the next day. Then before students left for the day they'd take their mailbox items home. Students also had a folder in their desk to keep work in progress. Here's my take:
    Pros:
    -I could see who did or did not take papers home (whether they made it out of the bookbag, I don't know) and 95% of the students took home their work on a daily basis.
    -We didn't have to use class time to pass back papers, get out folders, etc.
    -Paperwork didn't fill up their desks. I find you'll always have a few students who just can't pull out the folder, open it up and stick papers neatly inside but instead shove papers in.
    -Students didn't see their grades until the end of the day usually so they didn't get distracted by them.

Cons:
    -Everyone was gathered in one area at the end of the day even when they were dismissed to go by table (some linger to look).
    -Students didn't learn how to keep their paperwork organized. I think by 3rd grade they should be a little more responsible for having their own filing system at their desk.
    -Oftentimes the first person students had a chance to discuss a graded paper with was their parent. If there's a question or something I'd like to hear it first from the student so we can try to resolve the issue.

Sorry for rambling but this is something I've thought about for the past week. I've even thought about doing a mix of both methods. I have milk carton files and probably a mailbox sort of thing in my classroom not to mention enough folders to open my own Staples so supplies aren't an issue.

Any thoughts?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I use a file folder box. Each child has a file and I quickly shuffle the papers in after I have looked at them. They all go home on Friday in their Friday Folder. Easy easy!

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Ok so papers get passed back once a week. In the past I've usually done it daily but then it's easy for parents to forget to check them. Sounds like a great plan.

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

I do the same thing...except our folders go home on Thursday and are returned on Friday. I found that parents are more apt to look at them on Thursday night than over the weekend. Our entire school does it the same way, so parents are looking for that Thursday folder every week. PTA and the school send home all notices in the Thurdsday folders, too.

6. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I use mailboxes and daily papers go in the student mailboxes. Then at the end of the day, all daily papers go home with their BEE binders.

Graded papers go home on Fridays in their Friday Folders. That way, the parent knows to look for all graded papers on Fridays. I allow students a short amount of time to sort their papers each day at their desk. They merely take their papers out of their mailbox and then go to their desk to sort and look through the stack.

Work in progress folders are kept in their desks. Does that help?

7. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I send home papers once a week on Wednesday with a progress report in the front with behavior, AR and other important information. I give a few minutes at the end of the day while we are packing up for student questions. In third many students do not understand percentages.

8. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be sure to ask my P if there's a school-wide policy or something that all of the other teachers do that I should keep consistent.

I'm thinking now that the mailboxes are the best thing. I might use hanging folders at first if there isn't already a mailbox center in my classroom. Then, I can use 2 crates of folders and separate them a little so students A-? can go to one area and ?-Z go to another. I'll try my best to only send papers home once a week (graded). Great idea to have students have a chance to review their papers. This way if something needs returned or there's a question about a grade or comment, we can certainly discuss it. Great to know this board is available to be the "tie breaker" and help me to reason out what I'd like to use.

9. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I call the students back to the mailboxes in groups. They sit in groups of 4 or 5, so it really isn't too crowded as long as they are 'trained' to just pick up their mailbox contents and go right back to their seat. I often go through the mailbox contents before they get their things, so they know EXACTLY what to do with certain school papers--such as school newsletters, camps, etc. I mainly do this at the beginning of the year until they get the hang of 'Keep at Home' and 'Return to School.' I do a LOT of training at the beginning but it makes the year run so much better! ;)

10. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I have never seen it where students take papers home once per week! In my student teaching we had students take home papers every day... though I don't know if the parents ever checked them or really cared since many students had papers piled in their folders from months in the past.

Do you tell parents with a newsletter which day to expect homework or is it a school-wide policy?

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

My school does not give routine homework, and we don't give grades. I have the students keep a full portfolio of their work, and at parent conference time they choose some samples to show their progress or mastery.

The process is like this: each kid has a 3" ring binder and an expanding folder. The 3" ring binder is for finished/marked/done work and the expanding folder is for unfinished work. I have a Finished Work basket, too. At the end of a work period, they put their work in the Finished Work basket or their Unfinished Work expanding folder. I mark their work from the basket and either give it back for rework, or put it in another basket where I keep their finished/marked/done work. During open work periods, they take out their expanding folder and finish what's in there. Once a week or so, I have early-finishers hand back the finished/marked/done work and the kids put that in their 3" ring binders (with tabs for organization). Anything they have not finished by the end of the week goes home as homework.

12. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

I put all graded work in their cubbies (aka mailboxes) to take home at the end of the day. I assign 1 person to sort papers for me for the week. As far as my newsletter and other important papers and notices, those go home on Mondays in their Monday folder. (unless noted by the office to send home that day) This way parents know what to expect for the week in my class. I would like it to be a Friday folder, but I never get my newsletter finished by then (I'm always changing up something over the weekend!! :rolleyes: ).

13. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

Well I got back into my classroom yesterday. There is a set of 25 cardboard mailboxes (still in good enough shape to get through this year at least). I'm thinking that school notices, graded papers, etc. will be passed back on Thursday. Students will have a folder (I really like the expanding idea but that might have to come next year) for their work in progress work to keep in their desk. I will have students turn in homework into my hanging files so that I can have some flexibility with organizing this by subject/type of assignment, whatever. It'd also be easy to collect notes from parents or returned permission slips in here and then just take the files home for grading.

14. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

Our school doesn't have a set policy, so it is up to the individual teacher to decide when and how to send home graded papers. I have almost always done a Friday folder, but one year I just let them collect graded papers from their mailboxes whenever they got filed (usually daily,though not always!!) Because kids were allowed to take home work as soon as I got it graded and passed back to their mailboxes, I felt like they paid a little more attention to their grades. I like for them to get immediate feedback on their assignments. HOWEVER, I don't know if parents checked their backpacks routinely, so perhaps from a parent's perspective Friday folders are a better way to go. Maybe I'll poll some parents.... :)

15. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I have done both ways as well. I feel that sending it home everyday (or almost!) is much more beneficial to the students and to the parents. Our units go so quickly, especially in math that if I waited to the end of the week or beginning, the corrected papers are doing nothing for either of them. i try to think about how i was as a student. If I took a test or did a project or something I wanted to know as quickly as possible how I did. If I waited too long i was off on something else and it didnt really matter to me anymore. I feel that by not giving a quick response to student work students are taught that their responsibility ends after the paper is turned in. My goal is for them to feel ownership of the entire process.

I do admit that sending papers once a week was easier for me as the teacher, less stress, and may be easier for the parents. However, I feel that in my class I need to make student based decisions, not teacher based or parent based decisions. i am after all there to teach them.

16. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I use mailboxes and students take home graded work as it is filed, sometimes daily. I like that they have immediate feedback. I don't see much point in holding on to it when I think it could help them to know how they did on a test or assignment.

17. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Fridays always works best for our school. My students have mailboxes too, and they help sort the non-graded papers. I sort the graded papers after school or during seatwork time, or while they are testing. I am a stickler about confidentiality. I tell them that only the owner of the grade has the right to show it to others if they choose, therefore, I am the only one that sorts the graded papers. On Friday we take time at the end of the day to do Friday Folders. One half of the folder is for work, the other half is for notices from the office. I also include a weekly newsletter which has the next week's spelling words, tests, etc. I also on this sheet give an update on AR for each student. The students are supposed to return the folder on Monday, but I reward those students that have returned them by Tuesday or Wednesday if I didn't have to remind them. It takes a while to get into this routine, but they eventually do. As for the immediate feedback- our school has a web-based grading program, so as soon as I enter the grades into the computer the parents can know how they did. That way it isn't always a surprise (or shock) when they see the test on Friday. Also sometimes, I will take the time to show the students how they did, especially if I know I won't be getting the grades posted.

18. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

:hijack: Teacher Shelley: Sorry, could you clarify: you don't give grades? May I ask where you teach? I haven't heard of this before.

19. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I have now taught in both an urban and suburban settings. In my previous urban school, I had students with almost ALL divorced parents (working more than one job.) In the suburban setting, the parents are super rich and most moms stay at home.

IN BOTH schools, the parents have said that they prefer my once per week "Friday folder" which contains classwork and homework. It's easy for busy parents that may not have time to check over work every single night.
    At the third grade level, I only review work with a student if there is a problem. I have found that reviewing nightly homework with students is not engaging. Besides, most of their parents "help" them with it. I feel that a true review of the previously taught concept in third grade is a review or a mini quiz.

20. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Graded papers go home once a week along with any notices and fliers. It's school wide the same day. I have students file papers into mailboxes as one of my classroom jobs.