Papers not returning?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 10, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2010

We are required to send home "Tuesday Folders" each week, containing each child's graded papers for the week. My only problem with that (because I hate to get behind on grading) is that I always have several children who do not return their papers - ever! This bothers me because, if I need to conference with a parent and they haven't returned the papers, I have lost a ton of documentation! Any ideas as to how to handle this situation?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

Are you talking about a parent signing that they saw the grades?

That would frustrate me too-some parents would sign and send them back immediately-others would never send them back. What I started doing is just sending a cover sheet with the weekly grades filled in and ask for a signature on that-they could keep the actual work. I had documentation that they saw the grades, what the grade in each subject was, and a lot less papers to file. I also keep a portfolio of random work they've done in class if I need an example of their work for a conference.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I'm sure you have "habitual offenders" who don't return it and those who bring it back each week. I would photocopy any work you may want to discuss in a conference if it is important.

You could also put the responsibility on the students and have rewards/consequences for returning the folder and work.