Paperless in Primary?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Nov 3, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

The big buzzword in my district lately is that we will eventually be going "paperless." There are a few teachers who are attempting to go this route already.

As a primary teacher, this concerns me greatly. Yes, I do think that there are some great opportunities to have students complete projects and assignments electronically. However, they are still developing fine motor skills in the primary years. When I point this out, I am told that in the future people probably won't even be using paper and pencil to write anyway, and everything will be electronic.

I'm just not buying it. It scares me to see 2nd-graders that still struggle to write their own name properly. I can't imagine what will happen if we go paperless. :(

Does anyone else teach in a district that is trying to go paperless? I'm not worksheet-crazy or anything, but I just can't imagine not writing pencil to paper anymore.

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Nov 3, 2013

Wow! I cannot even imagine......I have not heard about this. Yet.
    I do know that monitoring ipads/computer work, dealing with technical issues would bring another level of craziness!

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 3, 2013

I am ok with not using copies, but not paperless. Kids need to paint, color, write, and draw!

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

I think that's what we're experiencing...This year, grades 4, 6, 8, and 9-12 are one-to-one with either iPads or MacBooks. Next year, grades 3-8 will all have their own iPad, and 9-12 will continue to use MacBooks. Eventually grades K-2 will have 1 iPad for every 3 students (the only grades that are not one-to-one).

It's a great opportunity for students, but I think we're going to need about 3 IT experts in each building just to keep up with all of the problems that arise!

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 3, 2013

Wow, this is the first I heard of this for primary. The "paperless" schools that I know of have been either high school or middle school. the youngest I know of is a school that is trying it out with 4th grade. I don't agree with "paperless" in grades K-3 at all.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2013

I keep hearing that there will be no new textbook adoptions ever, and that eventually we will just have our reading series, etc on ipads or netbooks.

Technology is great, but my littles still need to hold books. And what happens when the technology goes wonky, like it always seems to do? Right now with 4 student computers as a center in the morning, there is ALWAYS one that won't connect, isn't working correctly, or something. I can't stop my small group, and make those kids wait, because one kid's tech isn't working!

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

A 2nd grade teacher at my school is working on making her classroom paperless. She is going to go back to 1st next year, too...Paperless in 1st! :unsure:

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

I just can't even imagine the day when all the schools will have the technology available to do this. We don't have ipads on our campus yet. I was reading a blog the other day where the teacher still uses an overhead projector. Plus technology does not always work-internet connections go down, things don't get charged properly, etc.

In addition to the concerns you raised, I would add that. I think the day when paper and pencil doesn't exist for people is way far off.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 3, 2013

:yeahthat: I have this same thing happen all the time. I've actually started keeping a basket of books near the computers because you just never know when one will freeze, shut off, not connect to the Internet, etc. It's a pain!

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 3, 2013

My school has 1:1 ipads for every kid, and we still use paper! Our state testing is going to be all computerized starting next year. I'm sure once that happens, people will be saying, "Well, they don't have to write on the state test, so how can I waste time teaching handwriting?"

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 3, 2013

I think the whole paperless idea is nuts.

I've heard whispers of our high school going that route. I honestly will never be comfortable with it. I have coworkers that love to have assignments submitted to them electronically. I don't. I want something in my hand. I don't want the eyestrain and headaches that come from staring at a computer screen all day. I want the flexibility of taking student work home to grade. And to baseball practice. And to the dentist's office when I sit and wait for my kids to finish.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2013

I hear a lot about how things will be in 5 or 10 years.

But you know what?? We're not there yet.

Right now, I think paper still has a very solid, important place in the learning enviorment. If and when that changes, fine. but it hasn't changed yet.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 4, 2013

My answer: because not everything is about the test (although it seems like it is).

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 4, 2013

Back in 1989 at my former company the buzzword was paperless. At many workstatons were PCs with dos(if that's how you spell it) Managment had to enforce the no pen rule! It lasted almost 4 days. LOL. To this day my former company still tries out the paperless enviroment...unsuccessfully!

I hope handwriting skills will always be taught.

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 4, 2013

I would love to teach paperless... I'm a big proponent for tech in the classroom. Having said that, I don't feel it's appropriate for primary at all... I don't even think upper elementary is a good idea. I think it's wonderful to increase their accessibility to tech, but to rely solely on it at that age is simply not appropriate imo.

Some things are more easily done on paper right now... if I want to solve a difficult math problem (apart from the obvious solution of using a calculator) I can't show my work nearly as well on a laptop or even an iPad... could I? Yes, but it wouldn't really be any easier.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2013

Paperless is reality in many schools...it's "here" already and I am sure will continue to sweep through districts. Something 2ndTime mentioned which greatly concerns me is eye strain. I only accepted a writing assignment electronically once...no thank you after that! I LOVE the idea of saving resources, but healthy eyes are important to me. Kids and adults have their eyes glued to screens too much as is.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2013

My mom went to a baby shower where mom to be couldn't read cursive!!!! I think like many have said paper has a place in younger grades, but even in older grades...Many love the freedom of something colorful in hand & a blank piece of paper....

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2013

20. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 4, 2013

My textbook and notebook is online for 7th grade and I love it. I agree that elementary is much too young. But in the private high schools by me most textbooks are online and each child is given an iPad.

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 4, 2013

I am a paper person all the way. I love technology, but I need the paper in my hand to write on, sort, file, flip through, etc. I have a hard time right now when my students turn in writing assignments on USB sticks-I need to print them out to write notes, highlight, underline, etc. I also color code assignments so it's super easy for me to sort and quickly find extra credit ones.

We have 1:1 netbooks, but the district is still working on getting me internet access for them so all we can do is use word processing-there is no way I would trust all my class lessons to technology alone. I've had the internet drop out on my own laptop too many times to count-we would be screwed.

Lastly, we did a final Native American project on our netbooks and I can't tell you how many students didn't save properly, or the netbook froze, etc and they lost their projects. Then they had to start over and they turned in junk. I am not an IT person-I have no idea what to do to recover work, if it's even possible. All I can do is tell them they have to do it again, which STINKS.

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2013

I hear you. I really do. So I'm not disagreeing with you. I do think though that the IPADs are amazing in how you can take your work with you all the places you mentioned. Also, the IPADs, Kindles, and NOOKs, read even better than regular paper without eye strain like regular computers. Have you tried an IPAD?

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 4, 2013

Ok, I love technology. I really do. But this is totally nuts.

Paperless in K-2 is just horrifying to me. Kids NEED to learn to write, calculate math problems, form letters, create sentences, etc. They need to DRAW. Drawing in a program on an iPad does not count. They need to draw, trace, cut, glue, and create. I am terrified for our future if we are seriously gong 100% technology.

As much as I love technology and tech gadgets, I would have HATED being a student in a paperless classroom/school. For one thing, I can't imagine doing math without paper and pencil. I just can't. I also loved creating illustrated books and stories in elementary school, on PAPER.

As a side note (because it was brought up in this thread), the whole computerized testing is the worst idea in the world to me. I student taught at two different schools with over 600 students and either one or two computer labs. I just can't understand how 300 kids (half the school would be testing) will take a test using only 30 computers. I've heard there will be grants, but I highly doubt those grants will provide the remaining 270 kids with computers.

24. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Nov 6, 2013

I don't understand this either. We're not a paperless society, so kids still need to have experience with writing on paper and using paper books and other materials.

25. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Nov 6, 2013

I completely agree!

26. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2013

No thankfully. I know I use too much paper and I'm trying to cut back just because it is bad for the environment, there are no pressures from my school to cut back, as we have unlimited copies. I don't use it for worksheets so much, more for printing out articles or short stories from the internet, the homework sheet, letters to parents, etc. etc.

Does paperless mean no notebooks as well?

27. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 10, 2013

I don't know if it necessarily means no text books...We don't use textbooks in my district, so I don't have any experience with them.

28. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2013

I asked if it meant no notebooks. I could mayyyybe get by without paper if my students still had access to their notebooks. We don't use textbooks.

29. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 10, 2013

My former district is trying to go paperless to save copying money. They have NO technology to back this up. They are having the kids use their notebooks for everything instead. For example, if you want to use a graphic organizer, you're supposed to display the graphic organizer and have kids copy it into their notebooks. So they're still using the paper but the school doesn't have to pay for copies. Of course the kids are supposed to bring in notebooks as part of their school supplies, but this is an extremely low SES area where at least half don't bring anything in. So guess who has to buy all of the notebooks?

30. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 10, 2013

Ooops! :lol:

I'm guessing notebooks would still be on the supply list.

31. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Nov 10, 2013

I was just having this discussion with a colleague. I'm a math intervention teacher 1st-5th and while in a meeting, we were discussing how a one-to-one classroom would change how we teach. The admin basically told us that penmanship would be obsolete in a few years because of technology use. When questioned about it, her response was, "when was the last time you hand-wrote a paper/document?"
    I didn't get too into it because I disagreed with her. The last time I hand-wrote something was the previous week, so...

Anyway, I actually see there being MORE of a use for penmanship and writing because of the way technology is going. The standard keyboard will become obsolete before handwriting with the use of dictation technology and tablets/hand-held computers. In reality, how many "papers" do students write/type before 5th grade that they would need to be exceptional typists (not saying they don't need to learn to type; just using this as an example). They do, however, need to take notes, draw diagrams, etc. I can see that the standard "pencil/paper" writing might become irrelevant, but not writing. If classrooms are using iPads and tablets, then students will end up using a stylus (pencil :thumb:). Students will actually need to have better penmanship for the device to recognize what they write. AND, they better be able to sign their names to documents!

What if there is a power failure? How will they "write" then? It will be like going to Walmart and having the cashiers not know what to do or how much change to give when they hit the wrong key on the cash register. :eek:hmy: