paperless class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Nov 7, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 7, 2013

hey guys,
    do any of you guys have a paperless class? I teacher 3 periods a day. I have one class that is now completely paperless. I am pretty close to having the other two paperless as well. All the students at my school have a samsung chromebook, I love it.

I use google apps for pretty much everything. Students do all papers, presentations, spreadsheets etc on google docs. My class website is on google and I can upload everything that we do in class to my website. Students that are absent can go on there and see what we did for the day.

I just have students create a folder in their google drive and share the whole folder with me. Then I can see anything that they put in that folder on my laptop. I don't have to take anything home except my macbook (which the school gave me!)

I know this could be pretty hard for a school that does not have much technology. My wife wants to do this but she cannot do it as she only has one computer lap at her school and there is high demand for it.

3. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 7, 2013

I'm looking at going as paperless as I can in the next few months. We're going 1 to 1 IPads after Christmas. My only concern is that I teach math and I'm concerned about the logistics of having them show their work, inputting equations, etc

4. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 7, 2013

That'd be pretty amazing, but a pipe dream for my school.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 7, 2013

I have no desire to do it. None. I get eye strain from staring at a computer All day and I've never once had a sheet of paper shut down and not restart.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

I teach 7 classes a day. 3 of them are VERY close to being paperless. It is awesome!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

Haha, 2nd Time. ;)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2013

How would you do a paperless math class?

My kids need to show calculations and algebraic steps.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 7, 2013

We just implemented Google Docs, and I've used it for years to keep paperless copies of all of my lessons for easy retrieval, and for sharing materials with students via the web if they are absent. But I don't think we could go 100% paperless. There are enough issues troubleshooting the 20 Chromebooks we do have (not enough for my classes of 34). I basically break out the Chromebooks if I have a project in which I want to integrate one aspect of technology. Or I'll have them analyze and share data using Google Sheets, etc.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2013

What are the advantages of using Google Docs instead of posting a worksheet on your own personal class page?

We're starting to move in this direction, and I could use any info you could share.

11. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Nov 7, 2013

I took a few online math classes in college, and it was a pain to do it on a computer. I would do it on paper, take a picture with the camera built into the computer, and submit the photo as my assignment.

Now I have an iPad, and when I use a stylus, it is very easy to do calculations by writing them on the screen. My friend is an algebra/SAT math tutor and uses a really cool program for math. She writes the equation, and the program "translates" it into a font so it stays streamlined, organized, and doesn't look messy. I will ask her what apps she uses.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2013

OK, I started a thread on this myself so as not to hijack this one.

13. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Nov 7, 2013

I agree. The excuses would drive me bonkers too!

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

Try the course management system Canvas. (There is a paid version, but the free version is truly FABULOUS!)

http://www.instructure.com/ - Canvas site.

We've been 1:1 for 6 years. I've tried every digital tool under the moon (including GoogleDocs, which I use, but ...) Canvas does EVERYTHING! The Speedgrader is AMAZING!

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

Our students have tablet laptops. They write on the screen with a stylus.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

I've had students say "I turned that in" (implying I must have lost it). With the course management system I use, I can see if they have submitted an assignment (document, PowerPoint, worksheet) or not.

Tech isn't flawless. But, I can't imagine (anymore) teaching otherwise.

Because my classes are not fully online (i.e. like many college courses are these days), I am not (and my students are not) staring at screens all day.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 7, 2013

But if I were grading papers that were all submitted electronically, *I* would be staring at a computer all day.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2013

I do have more computer time. I don't notice any eye strain; I guess I am lucky.

19. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 8, 2013

I do not have to stare at a computer screen all day.... but most of the grading I do have to look at the screen. I don't mind this though, for me it is easier than keeping track of papers etc. I can see why some people wouldn't want to do it though.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 8, 2013

Alice: Mostly it's an ease of use thing.

So I keep all of my files in Google Docs anyway, because it's easy to organize and file and access from anywhere.

Because my files are already in Google Docs, all I have to do is drag whatever lessons I am using into a folder that is shared to the world, just like I would with a regular windows file system. Then it's automatically there.

If you were to post it to your website, usually what you'd have to do is to log into your website, open the page that you use to upload things, upload your file, and put a link to that specific file on your webpage somewhere.

There are lot more steps. With Google docs, once you initially just put the link to the folder up, anything you add to the folder gets automatically added.

21. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 8, 2013

Also, if you just post stuff on your class website, for example a word document, they students would have to email you the paper after they are done. If it is a google doc then they can either have a shared folder or share the document with you.

22. teach time

teach time New Member

May 30, 2015

At most schools teachers rely on ample amounts of paper & print, resulting in financial loss and disadvantages for our environment. The paperless classroom sounds like the inevitable solution- technology promises to make our lesson’s more engaging and apparently the kids love it because they’re so tech-savvy. But students do still love the tactile qualities of physically highlighting, annotating & decorating the printed handouts we provide. As an art teacher- I feel my need for colour printing is justified. Still, expense and environment considered I decided to conduct my own research- ask my students suitable questions to discover their learning preferences. I surveyed 51 of my Visual Arts students from various grades and found 90.2% would not feel comfortable studying from electronic devices for a Visual Arts test (rather than a paper document). I also asked my students whether they would like to replace their art diary books and use a computer or ipad instead. 96.1% opted to keep the art diary and I noticed most students where physically distraught at the idea of not having art diaries (in paper form).
    Research suggests that reading on paper still boasts unique advantages that can’t be recreated in the paperless classroom, as the paperless classroom: interferes with intuitive tactile experiences, is more physically & mentally taxing, and consequently students are less engaged with metacognitive learning regulation (Dillon, 1992; Keller, 2001; Sellen & Harper, 2003; Jabr, 2013). The paperless classroom also presents learners with navigational issues; as their learning material becomes hierarchical, rather than linear (Keller, 2001); and copyright issues surface frequently. Navigational issues from electronic text can inhibit reading (Jabr, 2013), whilst printed text makes it easier for students to create mental maps of information. Whilst short-term outcomes for students who have studied from paperless or paper documents may be similar, the actual reading processes differ and the latter will understand their reading with better clarity. This is due to the factors outlined above as well as students’ likelihood to take short cuts when reading electronically, scanning & hunting for key words- largely due to a subconscious belief that reading on an electronic device is a less serious and more leisurely activity than reading on paper (Jabr, 2013).

I strive to offer an inclusive education that is relevant and engaging for all students. So whilst the paperless classroom seems to be ideal- consider your students unique needs and interests before you put it into action ☺ BTW I’m only 24 and yes I love technology- but it has its’ place

RESOURCES

Dillon, A. (1992). Reading from paper versus screens: a critical review of the empirical literature. Ergonomics, 35(10), 1297-1326.

Jabr, F. (2013). “The Reading Brain in the Digital Age: The Science of Paper versus Screens” Scientific American. Aprill 11. Scientific American, a division of Nature America Inc.
    Keller, D. (2001). Thoughts on the paperless classroom. Manuscript in preparation.
    Sellen, A & Harper, R. (2003). The Myth of the Paperless Office MIT Press Cambridge, MA, USA

23. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

May 30, 2015

There is an app called Geobra it's an interactive math app that according to the math teachers I know: it's amazing....

I have no idea as math and me go together about as well as oil and water

24. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

May 31, 2015

This is a really interesting discussion!
    In the middle school where I student taught, they had 1:1 laptops, but they were really...really...bad. Slow, flimsy, and constantly having problems. There were also endless issues with internet connection. Every time I planned a lesson using the laptops, I had to have a back-up plan. There would always be students who
    - had lost their laptop usage due to discipline problems
    - left the laptop at home (since they take them home for homework)
    - had a broken laptop being repaired
    - couldn't connect to the internet
    - just couldn't get the laptop on....and on and on and on!
    Also, many students didn't have internet at home, so their laptops were essentially useless after 2:30. Teachers chose to ignore that fact when assigning homework.

My host teacher was big on having a worksheet-less classroom. He didn't like to use any worksheets that required preparation and printing. Instead he would have students just create their own worksheets on lined paper. It was not my favorite thing, but it is cheaper than using copy paper and printing out worksheets.

I think a paperless classroom would be a.ma.zing. for older grades, but only if the tech was reliable and all students had internet access at home (or homework that doesn't require internet). So, probably not a reality for most people.

25. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 31, 2015

I was sent to visit a paperless school some years back. Every kid had a laptop and lessons were done from the front by the teacher with his laptop. The place was so sterile. There was no practical work in science as every experiement was virtual! However that same school today has gone back to traditional paper. The main reason being that the extreme cost of the equipment was unsustainable once the sponsors supplying the equipment at a cheap price put the price up to normal. The attrition rate on the laptops was also unsustainable with something like 20% needing replacement each year through loss, damage, theft or breakdown.

26. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 31, 2015

Of course paperless has no environmental issues! Apart from the mining and refining of the exotic metals used in the batteries and their subsequent disposal at the end of their life. The generation of all the extra electricity required to drive all the hardware involved.

27. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 31, 2015

I wouldn't want to do it because I don't like staring at a computer all day. Furthermore, I think it is very important to be able to use a pencil and eraser in math class. I know that this is possible on a tablet, but it just doesn't feel the same.

28. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 31, 2015

I'd want no part of trying to run a paperless classroom. Young children get too much "screen time" already as it is.

29. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 1, 2015

I've had a paperless classroom for two years now. My school has a 1:1 iPad program, and we use eBackpack, along with PDF annotation apps such as Notability to disseminate assignments. I love being able to check all assignments on the computer and send grades immediately. No time is wasted passing out and collecting worksheets. It's also easier to check past assignments that I would have ordinarily have passed back to the student by that time. Last month, I had to fly home due to a death in the family, but I was still able to upload assignments for my students. We also do some project-based activities, such as creating a movie of a science experiment, creating graphic organizers, and presentations that can be submitted through eBackpack.

Even before we had the technology to be able to go paperless, I had already started using less and less paper. I kept all worksheets in files, and students would use sheet covers (I can't remember what they're called) with dry erase markers so we could re-use the worksheets each year.

30. WISpanishELL

WISpanishELL Rookie

Jun 1, 2015

Tests?

The school I will be working for this fall has a 1:1 laptop system. Because of this, I would like to go as paperless as possible. The district where I student taught had a 1:1 program as well, so I have a little experience with using Edmodo to grade documents, but an looking into the websites listed here. My only question is: how do you give tests? I feel like I'm fairly computer savvy, but I know my kids would find any way possible to cheat on a computer-based test. Or is this one of the few exceptions to a paperless classroom?

Any thoughts would be great!

31. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2015

Without some sort of program that allows you to see what each student is doing on their computer, testing can be difficult. My dual enrollment students have to test on the computer and I test them in small groups with me behind them so I can make sure that they are only on the testing program.

I use Schoology to cut down on the amount of paper used. Schoology is a course management system and students can post assignments and could test on it. I actually use the testing part for their homework. I teach only juniors and seniors and they need to start getting used to doing their homework online.

32. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 1, 2015

The district I sub in has 1 to 1 ipads, and the kids in one math class write out their notes in Notability. They can zoom in to make it easier to write in a size that fits, and the teacher just loads their problems or worksheets into web backpack or google docs for them to download. It works really well, and it makes it easier for me when I sub because there's less or nothing to pass out haha.
    I don't know if that would work the same at the HS level in this district though, because the high schoolers have macbooks.

I think the idea of a paperless classroom is great for older students, but a lot of younger kids still need the tactile aspect of actually writing on paper. I wouldn't go paperless in an elementary room, but middle or HS for sure.

33. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 1, 2015

I've taught in a 1:1 school that was trying to go completely paperless. It was horrible. Students took longer to log onto their devices than I would ever take to pass out papers. There were always students that had dead batteries because they forgot to charge over night. Or left their laptops at home, on the bus, lost them, dropped them, etc.

Grading was a nightmare and I was always having to extend deadlines because of "glitches." Either on my end or theirs.

34. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 2, 2015

Testing can be done with programs such as Polleverywhere (with a paid subscription for graded quizzes). They will allow you to create a bank of questions and it will randomly choose questions for each student. For example, I can create 40 questions, students will get 30 of those questions, including 2 essay questions out of a specific set of 4 essay questions. The answers are randomized also. This way, not all students will get the same questions or answers. I also use questions that can't be Googled easily. For example, I'll have a picture of four items, and the question will be "Which of these items will conduct heat?"

35. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 3, 2015

I would absolutely love love love to have a paperless class.

36. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 3, 2015

My high school English class has been 95% paperless for nearly 9 years. I love it! I can't imagine going back.

37. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 3, 2015

:lol: :thumb:

38. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2015

My sons 7th grade math class is paperless and I needed to see it for myself...and it's jaw dropping amazing!
    They function like MIss M said.
    In class, they also use the reflector app with i-pads.
    The kids were incredibly engulfed in the lesson...I'd say 25 students.
    Gone were issues of lost papers, no name papers, making extra copies, etc. It seemed so organized and laid back.