Paper Paper Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Elcsmith, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Jul 31, 2009

How do you organize papers in your classroom?

Parent's notes
    homework
    handouts
    and more...YUCK!

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 31, 2009

I've been reading the Cornerstone, by Angela Powell, and I found the chapter Avoiding the Paper Trap very helpful. I have set up my desk this year to have a place for everything that comes my way during the course of a normal day. Hope springs eternal!

Here is a link to an article she wrote by the same name:
    http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/TR/paper trap.pdf

Hope this helps, and good luck with your organization!

4. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I have a binder that has all my lessons, assessment data, class roster, etc. I have the plastic pull out drawars that are labeled for each day of the week...all my handouts or materials I need for that day go in there. The bottom of my filing cabinet has hanging file folders with each student's name...parent notes, behavior notes, etc. go there.

5. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I was going to say "YOU MUST READ THE CORNERSTONE BY ANGELA POWELL" but the 1st poster beat me to it. But really. Order the book, immediately. I have read the chapters about paper many times and each time it blows my mind.

SS

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

My problem is I am really good at setting up an organized system that I think will work great but it all seems to fall apart sometime throughout the year and I start piling again. No matter how hard I try, I pile!

7. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I have a basket that students put notes from home, permission slips, lunch money, anything that I need to see of a morning. I sort this while they do their morning work.

On my desk I have a vertical file holder for papers that I use often. I have a folder marked originals for forms that I make weekly copies of.

I have 2 letter trays on my desk that are "to file"- originals that need to go back into the filing cabinet, which I do once a week.

I have a crate with hanging files labeled with each students names where I keep parent notes, writing samples, copies of tests, etc.

I have a small paper sorter for nurse notes, discipline slips, etc.

I have a small basket/paper tray where I keep extra copies of worksheets, permission slips, etc. I empty this about every 1-2 weeks.

Students have their own mailboxes. I put mail that needs to go home in a basket for my mail person to sort. Every morning when I empty my bag, I put the graded papers in this basket.

Students have a stack of letter trays where completed work is turned in. Each tray is labeled by subject.

At the end of the day I mark off each student's name on a list if their assignment was in the basket. I know the following morning whose papers I need to be watching for. (Even if I haven't had a chance to grade the papers, I will ask the students for their work. If an extra day goes by, they will lose it, or forget about it.

I have to make a continued, conscious effort to stay organized. In the long run, it saves me time and energy.

8. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Like the above poster said, I have a binder for lesson plans. I have another binder for student assessment. I have another binder with pocket dividers to record parent contact and store notes etc in. I have file folders marked (and laminated) for each day of the week. I file handouts and materials I'll need that day in those.

Yet, somehow.... I'm in the same boat as scmom! In an article I read about organizing they suggested a rule that no pile is more than 2 inches deep. When it gets to 2 inches (or more) it's time to go through it.