paper organization

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by runnerss, Jun 9, 2009.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

I actually teach 5th grade math and I am the only 5th grade math teacher on campus. I had around 80 students this year and will have about the same amount next year. Here is my question.
    How in the world do yall stay organized with grading and all the papers turned in? I tried the baskets on the shelf for each class, but the papers got all mixed together and became chaos. How do you deal with make-up work? Being 5th grade in the area I live in is almost like being in middle school.

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

I have a separate in-box and out-box for each class, and I make sure I do all of my grading at school so that nothing gets lost in the shuffle. As soon as a stack is graded, I paperclip it and put in the appropriate tray. That's worked out pretty well for me... nothing lost yet.... *knocks on wood*

4. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

You need a turn-in basket labeled for each class. I think headings are very important, including the class period. Then have a separate basket for graded papers that are ready to be returned. I found some under-cabinet baskets at Wal-Mart to be very handy for the returned papers basket. (I do have some built in cabinets, but I know many schools don't.)

Make up work is one of the hardest things to keep up with. I have started printing out a form that tells what we do each day and stapling any handouts to the form. When the students come back, I have them sign a different form saying they have rec'd their makeup work and when it is due. I have 150 sixth grade students. I would very often hear "you never gave me my make-up work" so that does work kind of well to cover that. Do you have a website that you are able to use easily. That can be very helpful, too.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 10, 2009

Or if you don't have your own classroom to seperate folders.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

I use a folders system for my 5 classes. I have 2 folders of each color - ex: green for period one. One is marked "graded" and one is marked "to be graded." I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this one but ...I put all papers in the "to be graded" folder until they are graded and also recorded. I never move them to the other folder until I have recorded the grades in the electronic gradebook or in my paper grade book.
    I tried to collect papers in baskets but found that I would always be missing several and by the time I was finished grading the set of papers, several days had passed. It doesn't take much time to collect from students at the beginning of class. I then require students without homework to fill out a form which I keep on the attendance clipboard for that class.

7. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jun 10, 2009

Since I collect and grade almost every homework assignment, I have a lot of papers. This has caused some students that didn't do the homework to state that I lost their papers...now I know I don't lose papers, and should I accidentally lose one, it certainly wouldn't happen that many times by the same students.

So, to get the point across, I printed a class roster and everytime a student doesn't do their HW, they must sign off next to their name. I stand at the basket and watch each student put in their HW....so they can't avoid it.

This is an extreme measure and hopefully I won't have to do it next year, but my usual system is:
    1) A basket for each period...they place the papers in there
    2) At the end of the period, I pick up the papers and slide them into a folder marked for that period. I immediately take that folder and put it into my bag to bring home

This works great because then there's no lose ends: the papers are not sitting around all day for competitive students to take other student's work and hide it (this HAS happened!) or allow any chance that it may fall over, etc.

I have another basket on my desk for late work. The student must attach a little sheet at the top left hand corner that states:

Name: _________________________
    Period: _______ Today's Date: _____

1) Original Due Date: _____________________
    2) Why is this assignment being handed in late? Briefly explain.

I, ___________________, understand that because I am handing this assignment in late, I will lose credit for the assignment.

Signature: __________________________
    Mr. Gallagher's Signature: ____________________

(I require my signature because I had a kid make a huge deal about how he handed an assignment in one day late and that I said it was three days late, which would mean a 0. So now I say they must have my signature before its handed it. Yes, this is extremely annoying!)

I know this all seems very unnecessary, but I'm telling you, Honors kids will stop at nothing to achieve a high mark. Therefore, they won't mind lying to me to get me to NOT take off the 10% for its lateness.

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 18, 2009

I use the basket system, but don't leave them all sitting out for each class. I have shelves by my desk and at the bell, I put up the last class' basket and set out the next one.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 18, 2009

I don't have a lot of grading that I do, but I have 22 different classes (11 fourth & 11 fifth). When one grade is working on a project I usually keep their work product so nothing is lost from 1 week to the next. That means I'll have 11 sets of papers. I bought a large, sturdy file crate from Walmart (they have black & pink right now) and colorful legal hanging files. I have the fileslabeled by teacher in the order that I see them and a diferent file color for each day. It works well to keep the classes straight. :D It also doesn't take up much space & fits on the bottom of my overhead cart in the front of the room.

10. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

I have two sets of stackable wire baskets with six baskets each, one for each period (I have six classes a day); one stack is "To Be Graded" and the other is "To Be Handed Back." I also have one basket on my desk in which newly completed work is to be placed. As soon as the class is over, I clip the newly completed stack of work together and place it in the "To Be Graded" basket for that period. When it's graded and recorded, I place it in the "To Be Handed Back" stackable basket for the particular period.

For makeup work, I bought one of those organizers from WalMart that has the six little clear plastic drawers, and I labeled each drawer by class period. It's the perfect size for papers (I write the students' names on the papers so someone who lost his/her paper wouldn't be as likely to get them). The only problem is that it only works for handouts, worksheets, but not assignments like book work or makeup tests, etc.

11. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 19, 2009

I have a series of folders in the front of the room that I teach my students to access for their makeup work. I take a few minutes every day and fill out a "While you were out" sheet and make copies for each student absent, put their name on any worksheets or handouts, and staple together everything they need. The "While you were out" sheet takes care of bookwork, and I'm going to put my lecture videos on my website, so now I just need a better plan for makeup tests.

12. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jun 19, 2009

Anyone have a useful form you use for writing down all the work for the absent students?

13. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 19, 2009

I just made a word doc with the phrase "While you were out..." in a cute font at the top and made a boat load of copies. I just jot down what we did like 'talked about systems of equations - be sure to get ntoes, do pg. 123 # 1-20, quiz on Wed.' I put the student's name on it and staple any worksheets or handouts to it and file it away for the student to get. It worked out really well when I tried it this year and I'll definitely be doing it again next year.

14. LynnB

LynnB Rookie

Jun 19, 2009

Hey that is a good idea! but instead of re-writing the note for every student, run it (the paper you jotted on) through the scanner. I have a lot of students absent (I have a lot of students too) so rewriting a note 20x or more makes me cringe.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2009

Mine "While you were absent" is even easier I think. I use the same type of format - word doc with a table - and I record everything we did that day in each Mon - Frid box. I use a binder with front pockets. I put the extra copies of worksheets, readings, handouts, etc.. in the pockets of the binder. My students are then responsible for collect the papers they need. I do stamp all the copies that go into the binder with my "absent work" stamp. With this, I don't have to label papers with student names and they are totally responsible for getting the materials when they are absent.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2009

I have a similar word doc that lists the types of things we may have done in class (lab, activity, pages read, notebook pages added, notes taken) and I have a student volunteer fill out the page for each absent student. They give it to me at the end of class and I check to be sure nothing's missing. They even staple the papers on, reminding me to give them an extra when I pass out papers. I think I will get a vista print ink stamp to stamp "absent" on those papers so I remember who is allowed to be late with work.

17. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 20, 2009

Ooooh I like this! I'm definitely going to have to try it.

18. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

I use the plastic drawer set up, as well (one drawer = to be graded, another = ready to give back).

But...I add the following:
    *each kid on my roster is assigned a number (the first kid = 5, the second = 10, etc.). Everytime they hand in work, their name AND # must be written at the top. When I collect work, either I (or my student aide or another student) quickly put the papers in numerical order (which is also alphabetical order). This makes it easy to quickly see who has and has not turned in their work - and makes it much faster to record the grades since the papers are already in order.
    *I keep a big stack of rosters by the drawers and after the papers are put in numerical order, I (or my aide) highlight the kids who didn't turn anything in. I quickly mark an A for absent or an X for just missing next to those kids. The roster sheet gets stapled to the top of the stack.
    *Once the stack of papers is graded, the roster sheet goes in a binder as a record. Then the graded papers go into the drawer and get passed back out.
    *Make-up or late work also goes in the drawers but must be signed by a parent.

19. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I'm a fifth grade teacher as well but my husband is a high school teacher. I'm an obsessive compulsive organizer so I've been trying to come up with a way for him to stay organized with all of his classes. The teachers in our high school switch classrooms while the students remain in their classroom for the day. Here's what I've come up with for collecting and handing out assignments:

Find enough large envelopes that tie shut (or you can get the kind with brads) to have two or three per class, depending on how many assignments you have per week. Make a full-sized, laminated cover sheet for each one and tape it to the front with double stick tape. I would probably color-code them for each class, but like I said, I'm a super-organizer.

On the cover sheet (before laminating), make a box labeled, "Assignment:" Beneath it should be check boxes labeled, "To be given on:_______," "Needs Grading," "Needs Recording," "Make-up work incomplete," "Needs to be handed back,"and "Needs Filing."

With a wet-erase marker, you can label each folder with assignments at the beginning of the week (tests, homework, classwork, quizzes, etc.) with details in the assignment box. Then check which box in the list applies based on whether or not you've given the assignment, collected it, etc.

If a student is absent, just leave his/her copy of the assignment in the folder and check the appropriate box so you'll know that student still needs to make it up.

I would hope this would solve the mixed-up papers dilemma since the papers would always be in a self-contained folder unless students were working on them. My husband is not super-organizer, so he's a little weary of my system, but I think it would work pretty well. There are probably some kinks in it, but I'd love it if someone would try it out and tell me how it goes! I may try some form of it in my own classroom this year :)

20. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

PAPER! AGGGHHHH! I feel your pain. But, that said, here's my approach - works for me

1. I have a 12 slot sorter - 6 on the right, 6 on the left (from Costco). The left slots (1 per class) are for ungraded papers. I have secretaries in each class collect papers and insert them in their class slot. I place the graded papers in the slots on the right until I file them in their folders or hand them out.

2. I have crates - one per class - with a hanging folder for each student. In each folder is a manilla folder for all returned papers and a colored pocket folder for major projects/writing assignments. The students go thru the manilla folders once per marking period - usually right after report cards. TThey can keep or recycle all papers except major wiriting assignments and projects (if they fit in the folder). Those are stored in the pocket folder. At the end of the year, the pocket folders are emptied and the kids take those home to mom and dad. I post missing work lists just prior to progress report/report card dates - the kids can go to the folders to see if the paper is there before they come to me and say "but I handed that in!" If they find it there, I apologize. I'm human and sometimes a paper doesn't get recorded because it sticks to another one.

3. I have a tray on my desk labeled "Late and Missing". If a student is absent, their makeup work is labeled "absent" and placed there. If their work is late it is placed in the tray too. Every evening, I empty the tray and unless the papers are "absent", I stamp the rec'd date on the top of the paper so it stands out to me when I grade it that it was late. Then I put those papers in the ungraded slots in the sorter.

4. I also assign a number to each student according to the overall roster. It makes it easier for the sect'ys to put collected papers in order before placing them in the sorter.

5. For makeup work, I have a planner and one student fills it out with the bellwork, agenda, and homework each day. I am changing one thing this year. I have a hanging folder holder next to the plan book with a folder for each day of the month. I put extra copies of any handouts in the appropriate folder. I do have to tweak this part - some kids take the extras because they loose thier originals. THen there aren't enough for the absent kids. I think I'm going to have a buddy put a missing buddy's name on the paper before it is filed in the day folder. One less job for me!

21. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

One thing that worked great for me (for 6th grade) was to use folders, with one pocket marked "In" and the other "Out." I had 1 folder for each table or row. The kids put their homework in the "In" pocket, and take their graded work out of the "Out" pocket. What I liked best about this was that it kept me accountable for marking the work each day. I usually had 5 folders per class and three sections, and I could typically get a section or 2 done during the school day (if I am grading for completion).

22. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 3, 2009

I have a different folder for each class and one basket. The kids turn work into the basket at the beginning of class, and then I pick it up and put it into the folder for their class. If I have more than one assignment to be graded, I paper clip the assignments. If one assignment is graded and one is not, I lay the graded papers horizontally, and keep the ungraded stack vertically in the folder until the class comes in and I can return the graded papers.

23. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 3, 2009

Student Work:
    I have 2 bins for each class on the front table. An in-box and an out box. In the out-box there are file folders for each student. My TA places the graded papers in each students folder and a student hands the folders out at the beginning of each class or I tell students to get them. Student helpers also collect work for me, clip them, and put the stack in the in-box for that class. Quizzes and tests are placed directly in the in-box by the students once they are done. I also have 2 folders for each class: to be graded and graded. At the end of the day I clean out the in-box of each class and put the work into that class' folder.

Make-up and Late Work:
    I generally do no accept late work. Students are allowed to turn in 3 late assignments per quarter. They have 3 passes and must attach the passes to the late assignment. I have a make-up work stamp from Vista Print, which I use to indicate make-up assignments and when they are due. To keep track of late-work, I have one student update the blog on my class website daily, attached to the blog are hand-outs for all worksheets missed. I print out the blog daily and place it in the while you were out binder. I have a stapled file folder for each class on my walls where I put all make-up work with the students name on it. I will also put reminders about missed tests/quizzes in the stapled folder or on my back white-board.

Unit Materials:
    All units are given their own course binder. All materials, worksheets, projects, handouts, etc. are placed in the binder in the order that I will use them. A Table of Contents and Unit Lesson plan is kept at the start of each binder. I organize my electronic files the same way.

Papers to be handed out:
    Each worksheet or hand-out which I will give out in class has its own hanging file folder. I have two file cabinets. In one I keep all the file folders for the current unit and in the other I keep all past and future units. Each class has 1 drawer and I use different color file folders for each unit.

I also have student numbers (2 parts class period-alpha number) this is helpful becuase all papers are collected, graded, and recorded in alpha order.

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 3, 2009

I really like this system. I would need A LOT of envelopes becuase I collect close to everything my students do. I will look into doing this though and will let you know. I too am super organized.

25. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 3, 2009

Everything I hand out to students comes from a pile labeled with an index card.

Everything handed in to me is submitted electronically online. The program I use tracks the date and time it was submitted. If the student misses the deadline they can no longer submit it and have to come ask me for an extension, so I can briefly talk to them about the circumstances and remind them of the late penalty.

The same program allows me to give tests on the computer, so I have all the tests in my inbox by the end of the test period.

26. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

Wow! i didn't know this thread was still going. Need to catch up!

27. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2009

I would number/letter the students and have them write this number on papers. Then put them into number order to see which is missing.
    First hour: 1A, 1B, 1C
    Second hour: 2A, 2B, 2C

Students missing work would fill out some sort of form stating that it's not being turned in, why, and a signature. Then you have a paper path for when parents/students question incompletes.

As for make-up work for students who did receive the first assignment, I would have extra copies stored in folders where the students would be responsible to get their own.

Make-up work for absent students would be attached to a cute "While you were out" pre-made note that you only fill in the blanks.

28. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 3, 2009

Rabbitt,

Do you have this pre-made note that you could send me as an attachment? pm me for the e-mail.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

29. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Jul 16, 2009

This Thread is Great!

I am a 5th year teacher (7th grade LA) and I am always looking for ways to organize my chaos. I have only lost someone's work once, and that was because she didn't put it in the proper place. I have a wire basket system from IKEA for turning in work and that has worked great for 3 years. My problem is absent work and graded papers that are ready to be returned. I've read some really great ideas. Keep 'em comin!