Paper Mache' (pinata)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ABall, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

I havn't done paper mache' since I was in 3rd or 4th grade myself.

But it was my bright idea to make 2 paper mache' pinatas for the kids' birthdays. I had them cut strips of paper. I blew up the balloons and set them on bowls for sturdyness. I made paste with water, flour and a pinch of salt. It seams to be working but how many layers do they need to do??

One is going to be a black cat and the other will be a jack-o-lantern. We will put some tissue paper over them instead of painting them.

My second question is:
    we need to attach the hanger but how do I do that where i won't be cutting the opening?

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

We made pumpkin pinatas in my class last year. I am no expert.... but we did three layers and once it was dry we paper punched holes in the top and tied yarn from one hole to the other. More layers than three, they ended up collapsing and not having enough time to dry.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 8, 2007

I am having them dry the layers between. But I was going to make them 2 layers today and give it a full day before I have them do the last layer then the tisue paper.

I read some where that you can put a string on a paper clip and get that into the paper mache layers.--- I did that part myself so that I knew that the string wouldn't get burried and would end up being the right way up.

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

I think I gave them paper towels and newspaper. They used one layer of newspaper and then one layer of papertowels. This way it turned out more even. Sometimes it is difficult to tell how many layers you have completed and using both helped my first graders remember.

I forgot to think about the hanger, so that is why I just quickly punched holes. I bet using the paper slips would make it much more sturdy.

6. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 8, 2007

Make sure that after the newspaper has dried that the balloon inside has either deflated or deflate it yourself. My high schoolers found our exploding pinata exciting, but I am not so sure about the littles!:lol:

7. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

I made a pinata for Spanish class when I was in HS....I got a little carried away and used waaaay to many layers (about 8 or 10) and when it got hit, the pinata just fell-THUNK- straight to the ground.