Paper Mache Eggs?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Merrie777, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Merrie777

Merrie777 Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

Does anyone know how to make paper mache easter eggs using a balloon? Or the paste that is made for the paper mache?
    Thanks.

3. jcs1985

jcs1985 Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

Blow up a balloon ( just depends on what size you are making).cut newspaper into small strips. Mix elmer's glue and water into a bowl. Dip the newpaper into the bowl and run it through your fingers so that you get the excess glue off. Then you can place the newspaper pieces on the balloon. Make a few layers thick of newspaper. Let it dry overnight. Pop balloon with a straight pin. Paint Easter egg and let dry. It can get really messy, but is fun!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 23, 2009

You can use liquid starch for the liquid. It is pricey but already mixed and ready to go.

Tip: If you plan to paint the eggs, WAIT to pop the balloons until they are painted and the paint dries. Getting the hard shell wet makes it limp. My first project was ruined by popping the balloons, then painting. I did end up stuffing the "globes" with newspaper but not pretty!

5. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

6. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Mar 24, 2009

word of advice....Don't do it! Paper mache is a logistical nightmare! At least it was for me. I thought, "oh, it'll be so much fun!" Short story, NEVER AGAIN!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

I use Elmers and water ... to the consistency of whole milk.

Paper mache with Kindergarteners, Mrs. Z? You are a brave woman. :)

This is one of my FAVORITE artists (and she is a LOVELY woman). Her pieces are paper mache ... amazing! http://www2.pittstate.edu/art/marjo.html

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 27, 2009

I have done several papier mache projects with Kindergarteners and used flour and water and it has turned out fine-EXCEPT of the time we make a giraffe using a saw horse (with 2 added pieces for his neck and head). It was adorable and the kids loved the big project and working on it. All was great until the summer. I came back and, no giraffe. Our custodian had to throw it out because the roaches had taken it over. YUCK!! No more big projects ever again.