paper grade book?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ron6103, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Oct 21, 2008

I've just started teaching this year, and have been using Engrade for my grading (to allow parent access) while also using the school gradebook program (also an electronic system, SchoolMaster). Thus I have not bothered actually keeping a physcial, pen-paper gradebook.

I was told today by my administrator that Illinois state law requires us to keep a paper gradebook in addition to our electronic one. Now, I didn't argue of course... but to me, this makes no sense. I understand possibly, to use it as backup... but I have my gradebook recorded electronically in 2 places, and print out hard copies each week.

Writing it by hand in a physical book seems like a waste of time, and I'd be doing it AFTER already entering them into the system. Is there really a law like this? Or is there something funky going on with my school?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

Did he say the grades had to be handwritten? Or could you print up your hard copies and put them into a binder as a gradebook?

Either way, if the administration wants it done, it gets done.

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Oct 21, 2008

He said he want them handwritten, in a paper gradebook they give us, in addition to the electronic ones. They want both.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

Well then, law or no law, it's what the administration wants.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 21, 2008

We are required to keep a hard copy of our grades and turn it in at the end of the year, so the office can deal with any questions about final grades. Like you I also use engrade accompanied by my own homemade gradebook that has lots of room for me to write in the assignment, due date, date assigned, point value, and grade. Everything in my gradebook is in pencil though so I can erase if I make a mistake.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2008

We had to do this, but stapling the print outs to the inside of the gradebook they gave us was sufficient.

That seems like an incredible waste of time. Like teachers don't have other things to do. I would totally protest that. Or I would just staple a copy of the print outs into the gradebook and throw my hands in the air. That's nutst!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 28, 2008

That sucks--- I gave up doing paper when I realized how awesome my computer program was (even lets me type up comments for every grade which is amazing!!).. I'm using Easy Grade Pro.

If he wants a paper one, I would suggest this. Take one prep period a week and go through your grades and input everything then. That way you're not wasting your free time after school and it might be alot easier than trying to do it after every single assignment.

I agree with you though that this is stupid and a waste of your time--- stupid paper work! My school only requires that we print out copies of our gradebook in case our computer crashes.

9. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Nov 2, 2008

This is what we do at my school as well. Print out the grades so the office has them on file.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 13, 2009

A printed copy that is signed each week is good enough for the districts I have heard of that require paper copies. Our paper attendance records are the same way - print and sign on Fridays for a back-up paper copy. I don't keep any grades because each progress report/report card is a one-on-one assessment - can be good or bad depending on the day you ask me :lol

11. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Apr 14, 2009

I taught in Illinois. We had to hand in a copy of our gradebook at the end of the year. I have always kept a handwritten gradebook and then input online grades every couple of weeks. At the last school I work in in IL, other people just copied their online spreadsheets and handed them in at the end of the year, which was saved for records.

12. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Apr 14, 2009

Thanks for the input. I've been printing them off and putting them into a file folder... nobody has said anything to me yet, and during both my formal observations my principal did not ask to see my gradebook.

I suppose I'll see what happens at the end of the year if the office asks for it...

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2009

Be careful....

If your admin wants you to keep a handwritten one, you need a handwritten one. If you fail to comply with that directive, you can probably be fired--either for insubordination, failure to comply with a directive, or specifically failing to keep a record of grades.

I agree that it probably is a waste of time, but it is what it is. Don't risk your job over what amounts to maybe 30 minutes per week.

(We are required to keep a hardcopy of our gradebook in the event of a server failure. We are supposed to print a copy of our online gradebook every Friday and maintain those grades throughout the year. At the end of the year we turn them in so that the district has an official record of grades.)