Paper grade book HELP!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, May 30, 2008.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 30, 2008

My new school requires that I keep and turn in a paper grade book. However, we are allowed to pick whichever type we want and the school reimburses us :) which is good.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an appropriate grade book. I will have a max of 12 kids in each class, but they are multi-grade and will all be doing the same thing. I will probably have the same students multiple times a day, but not all day. If it matters, I am teaching Algebra 1, Science (gr 7-9ish), Science 3 (grade 10-12ish), Reading, Math, and Life Skills.

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea for a type of gradebook to use. I know most are the same but with all these preps, I'd appreciate anything that helps me keep things more organized, coherent or is even easier.

Thanks.

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 30, 2008

I use excel so I can tailor it for my needs. Then you could print them out when needed.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2008

I keep a paper gradebook only for the purpose of recording grades on papers corrected away from school. We are actually required to use the online program. I do print out everything at the end of each quarter. I don't trust long-term computer storage of information.

The way I set up the paper notebook is this. Write the students' names on the first page (down the side) as well as the class name (top) and count four spreads. This is what I will need for this class for each quarter. Most gradebooks have perforated edges so you can either fold these back or rip them off and still see the names. Does this make sense? Then do the same for the other classes, even if you have the same kids.

NOTE: I never write the date and assignments in the book's designated spaces. Dates go in the box at the top of the column and the assignment is written at the bottom of the column (under the students' rows) going up the page. After the last child's row, skip a line and label one more row as "value" for the total point value of the assignment.

I hope this isn't too confusing.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2008

Do you have an online grading system? If you do, there is probably a way to print it thus giving you a "paper" grade book. When we do our end-of-year report we must submit a grade book and while I do keep a paper grade book, most of the teachers don't. Those teachers simply print the spreadsheet for each grading period and submit these printed sheets to the prinicpal.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 30, 2008

I love your signature quote, INteacher!

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2008

Thanks, and guess what other site I have open while I'm on AtoZ - Amazon looking for cheap books ;)

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

May 30, 2008

I would just keep an online gradebook and print out the pages from there. It calculates grades automatically. I find it faster to type than to actually write.

I use engrade.com

I print the pages out weekly just in case...