Pantyhose butterflies

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by TeachtheWorld, Apr 5, 2004.

1. TeachtheWorld

TeachtheWorld Companion

Apr 5, 2004

We are getting ready for our K graduation and have decided on a garden theme. One thing that we want to do is make butterflies to hang from the ceiling of the cafeteria. I know that you can make them from pantyhose and wire, but I'm not exactly sure how. Does anyone know? Does anyone have any other decorating ideas for this theme? Thanks.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Apr 5, 2004

I saw a cute idea for a flower made out of the students hands in the April/May 2004 issue of The Mailbox. It is on page 13. This may be a cute way to decorate a few places where the graduation will be held.
    Hope this helps!

4. cathriona

cathriona Rookie

Apr 8, 2004

contact butterflies

You need green wire from a florists (they use it in arrangements and will probably sell you some). Bend the wire to make the butterfly wings individually. Cover with tights using the toe end. Twist and tape. Interlock wings. Add pipe cleaners for antennae.

This way would be alot easier!
    cut out a butterfly shape in contact (you need 2 that are a mirror image. Peel back the backing paper and decorate using tissue paper, crepe paper and glitter.
    You could string them together to make a mobile.

Hope that this is of some use

Cathríona
    (Ireland)

5. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Apr 8, 2004

Another way to make butterflies is to use coffee filters. Fold the filters, then dip the corners in diluted food coloring. Let them dry and then unfold. Squeeze together in the center and twist with pipe cleaners. Then you have the colorful wings all spread out.

Does that make sense? -Brenda

6. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Apr 8, 2004

You can also use sandwich bags and pipe cleaners. Use the old-fashioned sandwich bags without the ziploc. Fill a bag with torn tissue paper and close. Wrap the piper cleaner around the middle of the bag and squish the center together, (pulling out the sides and shaping them into wings), twist the pipe cleaner at the top and separate the ends for antennae.

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Apr 8, 2004

Another way to use the coffee filters is to color on them using washable markers (be sure to protect the surface underneath because the marker will bleed through). Use lots of colors for a better effect. Lightly spritz the filter with water and watch the colors run together. Let dry and then squeeze the middle together and hold with a pipe cleaner. Bend the pipe cleaner to be the antennae. We are doing this next week.

8. monaellen85

monaellen85 Guest

Apr 8, 2004

butterflies

You can make butterflies out of coffee filters and pipe cleaners. We also made caterpillars out of round styrofoam balls spray painted with black paint and glitter. we used pipe cleaners for antenee and googly eyes.

9. Bright Sun

Bright Sun Rookie

Apr 15, 2004

butterflies

I like to use the dip and dye for the butterfly wings, but I use a clothes pin(spring) for the butterfly's body. We paint them pastel colors, and then clip the wings into the clothes pin. I also use the large 18 inch chenelles to make a caterpillar. The children can wrap the chenelle around a pencil (the beginner pencils work great) and slide the chenelle off the pencil when finished wrapping. Wiggle eyes are glued on and I let the children find a small stick on the playground to glue their caterpillar to.

10. sunset

sunset New Member

Apr 15, 2004

I have a two-part idea. For the caterpillars, we use knee-high pantyhose. The children use polyfil and stuff one knee-high. They can make it as skinny or fat as they like. I tie the end in a knot, then let the children paint them. As they are drying, the children make the wings using fingerpaint paper cut into butterfly wing shapes. They can fingerpaint or paint with brushes. I fold the wings in half, and let the children paint half of the wing. Then I fold over the other half to make a symetrical design. When everything is dry, we attach the wings to the caterpillar body with pipe cleaners (use three pipe cleaners, twist through the wings and around the body, creating six legs) Add a pipe claner for the antenna, and string for hanging.

11. J. Carlson

J. Carlson Guest

Apr 15, 2004

butterfly art

Every year I have my students make "stained glass" butterflies by painting small squares of tissue paper onto waxed paper using diluted glue instead of paint. Before the kids paint on the tissue paper I trace butterfly shapes onto the waxed paper using a sharpie marker. The kids are encouraged to cover all the empty space within the outline and then they cut them out when dry and hang them on the window to let the sun shine through!