Panicking

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher Chele, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

Many of us are going to be moving to different classrooms this year, so at the end of the end my P told us to pack up everything and leave it in our current classroom. She said we would move things in Aug. Our inservice week starts Aug. 4 and we have a 2 day teachers conference next week. P keeps saying she will let us know when we can get in to move/work on rooms, but she hasn't yet. UGGGGGH!

3. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Oh that is terrible! I hate not being able to take my time in my classroom.
    We had to pack up everything because they were doing the floor and painting (the custodian turned my desk on its side!!!)but thankfully I am able to be in my room now and our Teacher work week starts Aug11.
    I hope you will get in soon!

4. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Can you send an email to your principal asking her when your rooms will be ready to move into? It seems a little unfair to the staff to be sitting there, unable to do anything in their rooms when you're getting so close to the start of the year.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

It seems this is a trend that I don't like. If one day I am a principal, I will make sure teachers know a month ahead of time and have ample amount of time and energy to do whatever they please to prepare for school-especially new teachers and teachers that had to move.

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

It is unfair, Calalilys. My P has no clue how long it takes to set up a nice classroom. I could throw something together, but that's not the kind of teacher I am.

Mable, That a good way to look at it. Things not to do if I become a P. I've thought about getting my admin. endorsement and I would definitely be more understanding about things like this.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2008

I feel for you!
    My P also decided to switch everything- 19 of 22 teachers changed rooms :eek: At first, she said to pack and the custodians would move everthing over the summer. Well, she must have decided that 2 old men could not do all of that! So, we moved before we left for the summer. It was crazy, but everyone was happy it was done before they left. However, my biggest grumble is that the custodians refused to help! With ANYTHING!!! We were doing the work so they didn't have to and they wouldn't help! I kept looking out the window and they would be pushing an empty garbage can through the parking lot (due to the stairs, they have to go around to the dumpster). No one was throwing anything away (we were already packed), so there is no way they had actual garbage! :mad: Luckily, a few husbands stopped in to help move teacher desks and file cabinets! Our school is 4 buildings plus trailers and the land elevation is really uneven, so some teachers had to nearly go around the block with their stuff. And, the custodians sat and watched :mad:

If everyone pitches in and is ready to move, you should be able to move the whole school in a day to a day and a half! I know from experience! And, if you have a normal school where everyone is in 1 building with 1 story, it probably won't even take that long!

8. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Jul 26, 2008

I am in the same boat. I am moving this year and had to pack my stuff at the end of the school year. Right now, my old room is empty, all of my things are in a heap (a true mess) in the fitness room, and my new room is currently being used for the YMCA summer camp. I have to wait until camp it done (Aug 15), then wait for the Y to move into their new rooms and then the custodians can clean my new room. By Aug 22nd I was told I will be able to get to room! Inservice in the 25th. I will have the 26th to work (k-4th starts this day. Preschool open house is the 27th and the kids come on the 28th.

I am beyond stressed. Especially since I am a district employee and we couldn't inconvenience the Y, you know. I tried to go in and at least get some of my things so I could work at home but, when I tried to have my 13 year old crawl over the pile of boxes and toys everything started to tumble! I can see the September bin I want but it is completely out of reach. AHHHHH!

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

My P finally let us know that we can get into our rooms on Thursday. We have In-Service starting Aug. 4, so I have 2 days. I still don't know which room/portable I'll be in. I do feel better knowing when I can get in, but I'm worried about all of the moving. My DH will be able to help.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

Oh my I feel for you too! This is the first year in my 6 years that I will NOT be changing classrooms but they are doing work in every classroom so we had to pack up everything anyway. I don't have many words of wisdom but want to tell you that it can be done and you will be JUST fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

Yes, it can be done! Last year we moved into a brand new school! I was pregnant and I had two days to do everything. With my mom's help, and my sister who is a teacher, I worked one very long day, then came back on day two and worked until about 1 pm. Then I left and went to the hospital to have my baby. So even at 9 months pregnant with feet swollen the size of watermelons, it can be done. Fun? Not at all. Hang in there. Our school is always like this. Why can't admin. figure out that we don't like to kill ourselves getting our rooms finished right before school starts????

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

It's amusing that we all have the same problems, yet the administration just doesn't get the need to let us into school! Don't they understand that not being able to organize is stressful? Good luck Teacher Chele, I'm sure you will get it all done- especially with help. One day, when AtoZ teachers start their own school, we will leave 1 month+ for our rooms!! :)

13. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I moved a classroom when I was 7 1/2 months pregnant. I was so thankful for my DH and a friend who is a teacher who helped. God really gave us Mommy Power.:hugs:

14. looloo

looloo Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I feel your pain! They are putting new carpeting in our building and just finished yesterday- and our inservice week starts...Friday. I am FREAKING OUT!! :help:

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

I don't understand why principals decide to move all classrooms anyway. Unless the school is under construction, someone is moving to a portable, or new classrooms are being added I see no reason to make everyone move.

16. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Jul 30, 2008

17. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

I'm feeling better about everything tonight! Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm going to be in a portable (for the first time ever), so I'm excited about that. I've been working everyday getting things ready. I am so thrilled to know where I am now and to have a lot done, but I've got a lot more to go.