Panic

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

I'm suffering from unreasonable panic right now. It's consuming me. I can feel it creeping up my chest, compressing my lungs and tightening my skull around my brain. My hands are starting to get cold and my vision is blurring.

My secretary just e-mailed me and said the principal was asking if I wanted all the bookshelves in my room.

This does not seem like the kind of e-mail that would cause one so much physical and emotional distress, but the normal person does not have 4,000 books, with 118 book baskets and 36 'folder' boxes to store them in. My room does not have enough shelves for these already. I am reading the e-mail to say that she wants to use the shelves elsewhere.... AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I need to calm down and continue to breath. But I cannot stop feeling panicky. This is not a huge deal. I can get on freecycle and beg for shelves. But I'm already feeling overwhelmed and anxious, so I think this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Is anyone else feeling like this? Completely overwhelmed, even though you KNOW it will all get done and look fine? Can someone talk us down over here?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

I can completely emphathize with you. My principal called this morning to ask about class lists that our team did last spring and I almost cried when i got off the phone with her because I am not ready to think about going back yet. I haven't been sleeping well and am feeling very anxious about the upcoming year.
    Lets take some deep breaths.
    UGH!!!
    Feel better!!!!!!!!!! It'll all work out.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

I would think they were just asking you about the shelves. I don't think they would take them if you said yes I need all of them. I would ask if you can keep them and explain that you really need them. I am sure they will get the shelves they need. They prob just wanted to check with you 1st just in case so they would not have to buy more if they did not have to.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

You're probably right, manda. I have the secretary's daughter in my classroom this year, and I have hinted that if she works with me on some issues, her daughter's year will fab-u-lous (not that I play favorites-some school supplies and furniture will honestly make her room and year go smoother). So I asked her to look out for me and make sure as many shelves as possible go into my room. I didn't think I was competing against anyone, either, because we only have four teachers. The one has been there for a long time, and I thought she had all her stuff. The other two are 1st and 2nd grade, and they aren't even reading chapter books yet-the 2nd grade teacher even said she doesn't need them. So hopefully she was just honestly asking if I wanted all of them to make my life easier.

I'm feeling slightly better.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

Hugs, Jem. I'm sure they don't know that you have such an extensive library or they wouldn't have even asked. I mean, No One has more books than you, but the P doesn't know that - Yet! You could say that you're flexible but if possible, you do need somewhere to house your classroom library and you were planning to use all the shelves. No biggie.

I hope you feel better ASAP. They're going to be MORE happy to see how much you value reading than SAD not to get to use some of your shelves elsewhere! It's going to be OK. Better than OK, in fact!

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

This is a little off topic but: I know what you mean about picking favorites not trying to but I know what you mean. I try to be nicer to the children that I know has parents who visit the school alot or complain alot. Not that I give them special treatment I am just careful what I do or say to them.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Try Rescue Remedy ...

it really helps with feeling calm for those moments when you feeling like you have a lot of your mind and/or physical sensations from panic and you need to calm down. You can put a few drops in water and drink it or you can put the drops under your tongue.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2008

EEEK, manda- You should be careful what you do or say to any kid- remember all your students are SOMEBODY'S children, regardless of whethere they volunteer in school or complain or not.
    Jem- I had a new principal a few years back. I hadn't even met him yet and he called me in the summer to ask if I wanted the desks in my room since all the other second grades had tables and there was a 3rd grade section that could use desks. I explained that I reallly would rather keep my desks, gave him my rationale for why they worked in my room and told him that if it wasn't going to cause a big problem for him I'd rather keep the furniture I had. He completely understood- he had to order furniture one way or the other (either desks or tables) and wanted to make sure I was happy with what I had...Could you offer to see what's left over as far as shelves once you bring in all your materials and then you will gladly let go of any un-needed shelves but you are quite sure that you will be needing all the shelves you have as you have spent all summer accumulating materials to make it a great year for your kiddos... And as far as feeling overwhelmed- yeah, we've all been there. Considering the summer you've had- the webpage mess, the changing of grades, hunting all over for materials to complete your theme- well, it's been quite a month or two, right? Breathe- plan a day trip or massage or manicure for yourself...Relax- it's going to be a great school year.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

I'm with ya, Jem. I sit here, gazing around my disaster of a room, and I can't hardly stomach the thought of thinking about where to put this stuff. It is just so much--I am 100% overwhelmed. I am trying to reason with myself, unpacking one box at a time, but then it just makes a bigger mess and I get more panicked. I am seriously thinking about just giving up and coming back Wednesday. Taking a break tomorrow. But then I panic that I am not going to have enough time. Sigh.

11. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

The feeling you have means that you are going to have an awesome year . . . because you deeply care for your students and your classroom environment. Let your principal know that you would rather keep them, and try to let it all slide off your back. Easier said then done - I know!! You'll have a great year!!!!

12. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I had a very similar conversation with my AP. I asked for 15 additional desks (I had 10). I only have 7 students at the moment too! :lol: Once he saw my work stations, he understood why I needed them.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

I am careful what I say its just that some parents don't even want there kids to get disiplined what am I too do then? They come up to the school and are like why did you move my child's clip? What was I suppose to do let the K child sit there in a crying pouting fit?!?

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2008

Consider using a management system that is not so publicly visible. There is a discussion on the forums right now about 'no more traffic light systems' that you might find interesting. Sure the card pulling, clip moving systems can work, but there are other more positive, community- and respect-building ways to manage behaviors.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

I have to use the management system that the teachers at w/e school I am at use and those teachers (K) use that methed.