Panel interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, May 19, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

I've never done one. But if you can get down a name or two, or make an obvious effort to do so, I can't imagine it would hurt. So a response along the lines of "Yes, Ms. Jones, I agree..." would probably help you stand out among the candidates who are so busy trying for the canned answer that they forgot the details.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

OK-- how did my response pop up before the original post???

4. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 19, 2009

My upcoming interview is going to be conducted by the principal and the classroom teachers of the grade the position is for (The P is going to tell me which grade when she confirms the time). Obviously I need make eye contact with everyone. Other than that anyone have advice on how different this would be from a principal or superintendent only interview?

Also, if you've done a panel interview, has anyone ever challenged a method you espoused or acted offended if you talked about something that was the opposite of how they do it? I'm worried about "connecting."

Any advice?

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

I was wondering the same thing Alice. It has melissa as the post starter, but I was surprised when your post was listed first. Weird!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2009

Good luck! The most people I have had interview me is three and afterward I knew that I didn't make enough eye contact with one of the people, because the other two were more in my line of sight. Maybe practicing making eye contact in a variety of different directions while talking would be be beneficial and is probably something I'll try before my next interview.

And the posts being out of order is very strange.

7. smalltowngal

May 19, 2009

Jessica, I've been interviewed with up to 10 interviewers at the table. Talk about nervous!

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2009

If I get any school-level interviews this year, that's what I'll probably have to face, too, and just the thought of it makes me nervous!

9. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 20, 2009

I had an interview with FIVE other of the grade level teachers, the principal and the vice principal. When they called me in for a second interview, there were only 2 of the teachers that came back, the principal and the vice principal. I could not make contact with the VP because she sat behind me. It was the first time I'd ever been interviewed by a panel and it was so nerve wracking. I was so scared...for lack of a better word. No one ever really challenged anything that I said. They did all ask me questions though. I said hi to each of them when they were introduced. The best thing you can do is smile, make eye contact, and do your best. Good luck!

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

I have a panel interview with 9 staff members last year and it was nerve wrecking! I think once the amount of staff members on the panel goes over 4 or 5, it's just simply too many! I the interview I received a job from last hiring season, was another panel interview, but only with 4 staff members. There was a noticeable difference in how a certain size panel can change the mood of the interview. I felt so much more relaxed at the interview with the smaller panel.

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 20, 2009

Thanks, everybody. It's the second to last day before school lets out so there will be at least four teachers and a principal. I'm really nervous but I'm going to practice some answers this afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

12. AMB

AMB Rookie

May 20, 2009

Good luck!

I vote don't waste your mental energy trying to remember all of their names.

Most of my interviews have been panel format (ugh-one with 8 people!) Generally, they have a list of pre-determined questions and go around the table asking them. Just look around, smile a lot, and RELAX, RELAX, RELAX! The thing they are looking for with the panel interview is your personality and to see if you will mesh well with the teachers. It took me a long time to really grasp that and relax and be myself (it helped a lot that they called me for the interview a few hours before I had to be there so I didn't have a lot of time to get nervous.) I had the panel LAUGHING at my classroom management story (tell us a classroom management situation that did not go well and how did you handle it...type question) because I told it with such enthusiasm and expression. (And it was just a minor issue-cell phones! And I really stressed how I handled it.)

If they wanted to hear your knowledge and how you would handle x, y, z, the principal would be interviewing you. They want a good fit, so just try to relax and be yourself!

And I've NEVER had a teacher challenge me about something they disagreed with. They might ask for clarification or an example, but don't worry about them disagreeing with you openly.

13. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 20, 2009

Thinking good thoughts for you!

I went before a panel of 9 today. Yipee. I agree...4-5 is so much better and less threatening. I felt like I was in front of the firing squad. ugh.

You'll do great!

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

Don't forget to give everyone firm handshakes as they are introduced or as you walk in. Relax and best wishes to you.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

Just keep in the back of your mind that you will be thinking about whether or not you want to be on a team with these people, too. So in a sense you are interviewing them as well. Be observant of their personalities so you can decide if you will be a good fit. :)

16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 21, 2009

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone! I think it went pretty well. As soon as I got there I stopped being nervous. the teachers and principal were so nice and it was more of a conversation style. Even if I don't get the job (They said they'd know next week) I think the interview increased my confidence. I have an old principal who is now a superintendent of instruction (far away from me, unfortunately) and I asked him when he was writing my reference letter what the most important thing to him in an interview. He said to let your personality shine through. This is the first interview ever I think I accomplished that so that's in itself is a success.

17. smalltowngal

May 21, 2009

YAY! Sounds like a success even if you don't get the job! Keep us updated!

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

I am glad that things went well for you.

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 21, 2009

That's great that it went so well! Good luck!

20. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 23, 2009

glad to hear it went so well!