Panel Interview!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SwOcean Gal, Aug 1, 2010.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I have an interview Tuesday with a panel! I hope they are nice and easy going! Do you have any pointers for me?
    If you have been on such a panel what do you want to see? Any and all pointers and tips are welcomed!

What can you tell me about a panel interview?

I think I might be the last one being interviewed- so any advice applicable to being the last interview of the day?

I am bringing my mini portfolio with enough copies for everyone in the room to keep. The same portfolio as I brought to my interview with just the P- is that okay? Or should it be different? (It actually will be a little different because I want to add my CL Resume Teaching Philo and letters of recc as well as supervisor sheets from ST. which I had already given to the P in my application packet prior to interviewing)

Thanks for any and all tips!

Soooo excited!!!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

Sounds like you are ready. I hope that you enjoy it by relaxing and letting your great personality to shine through!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I agree! It sounds like you are ready to rock! Good luck!

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the portfolio. I would practice your answers to the questions that you will most likely be asked. If you teach elementary, you should be able to describe your reading block/philosophies on teaching reading, your math block/philosophies on teaching math, other teaching philosophies, classroom management strategies, assessment strategies/philosophies, times you overcame adversity/learned something, collaboration with peers, professional development, etc.

6. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 1, 2010

Eye contact!

Make sure that you don't look at just the question-asker. Make eye contact with each person. It will show your confidence :)

Good luck! You'll be great!!!!:thumb:

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

Thanks everyone!
    I already have the portfolio situation worked out! No worries there- I just need to put the pages in the page protectors- so just assemble it! I have already printed and selected materials. I find picking those materials is really the best prep- I do want to make sure I know everything and the order it is in prior to the interview itself.
    To prep for my first interview I studied for hours on atoz just compiling questions off the threads. Then reflecting on my answers without actually answering any because I wanted it to flow naturally, but I still wanted to be prepared and know what I would likely be asked and be thinking in that mode. I researched the district and know everything about it! lol Well, a whole lot about it! Whew- on paper we are the perfect fit! My philosophy is succinctly stated in their own motto! I am thrilled with how well my philosophy melds with theirs and their mission statement. It is unbelievable! So I am absolutely thrilled about this!
    Smurfette- thanks, those are all roughly the questions I was already asked, so I am really wondering if I will be asked those questions again or not- I was not asked about overcoming adversity, collaboration with peers, or prof devel yet. So I do think those are coming. She asked about my weakness but not my strength. I also think I will be asked about what distinguishes me from others and I think that will be the only question I have actually started to formulate an answer to and will work on before the interview. I like to know the questions in advance, but I do not actually answer them until they are asked. I do not want to practice it and make myself crazy trying to remember that perfectly phrased answer I practice, you know what I mean? It would be more of a distraction.
    Any other advice or comments?
    I love it so far! Thanks!
    STG and SC- I hope so! I really love it! I want it soooo much! I am going shopping tomorrow to buy a real suit!!!! I am the person for this job and the very best fit possible! lol Thanks!
    Thanks Kstar- I was curious about that! lol

8. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I am just posting that I am praying and excited for you. I hope this is it for you.

Always be positive and be sure to write down the panels names as I couldn't remember them after one of my interviews. So then I couldn't write thank you's to everyone. Don't know if it cost me the job but I wish I could look back and know I sent them all one.

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

Do you think it is okay to ask from the very beginning if it would be okay if I took notes or should I just ask if I could just jot down their names? Is that okay to ask?

10. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I'm not sure..but it sounds like you are thoroughly prepared and ready to blow them out of the water with your amazing skill set and knowledge!

I would say give them a firm handshake, eye contact, and smile!

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 2, 2010

Good luck!! You've already gotten a lot of good advice here, but I just wanted to give some input because I had the opportunity to sit in on several interviews this year for a new teacher in my grade level. It's so interesting to be on the other side of the table!

Personally, the one question I was focused on most was classroom management. I was looking for someone to talk about the routines and procedures in his/her classroom to get a feel for how the classroom would run. I was disappointed when a few people only discussed discipline when asked that question because that's really only a small part of managing a classroom. Just something to think about... :)

12. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

Good luck tomorrow! Your going to blow them away. I would make eye contact, firm handshakes and give them big smiles! Let your personality shine through and let them know you are the right fit for this job :)

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

Thanks everyone! I am sooo ready and sooo excited and hopeful! yay! Thanks again!

14. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

Let us know how it goes tomorrow!

15. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Its late and you're probably getting your rest for Tuesday, but in any case, make sure you address everyone in the room. I tend to want to focus on the principal, and had to consciously make an effort and remind myself that other people are there too.
    They AREN'T going to ask to see your portfolio. People hardly ever do. YOU have to show it to them. When you give a response and you know you have an example in your portfolio, pull it out and PASS IT AROUND.
    The hardest question I was asked was "Why should we hire you?" I think my response was what landed me my job. I can't tell you my response because it's gotta come from you. My response was honest and heartfelt, and probably the most original they'd ever hear.
    Good luck! :)

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Thanks! I have a portfolio for everyone, except myself which was probably silly. hmm, maybe I will make myself one so I can get to the right spot/page and pass mine around? hmm. still have time. Had not thought of that.
    Thanks!
    I am ready! But it is still early!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

Knock 'em dead today!!!

18. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

Good luck!

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

Good luck today!!

20. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Thanks everybody!!!!

I am not sure how it went- I came home exhausted though! I do not know. I feel it is a good fit, but I do not know. There were six on the panel- not the five I prepped for! Luckily, I was given a great suggestion here today to create another packet! So I did and was well prepared to let everyone have a packet! Whew!

I think I did well, I did my best and I am happy with what I did. Of course the typical hindsight- wish I said this that and the other thing! But nothing major.

I had a great answer for every question and I did my best. My answers were good and solid. I used my portfolio to illustrate my points and I did well! Yay!

They do not know if there will be another round of interviews or not, they may just decide! I should know by the end of the week or early next week latest.

I am hopeful! Thanks for all your well wishes and advice and tips!

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2010

Sounds great! Keeping fingers crossed for you.

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

Hope you hear something soon!

23. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Sounds good! Best of luck to you!
    BTW, just wondering, about how big is your portfolio? I was a little surprised (don't know if that's the right word) that you made enough portfolios for a panel. Reason being is that when I went through my credential program here in California, portfolios (a requirement) usually meant at LEAST a 3 inch binder FULL of lessons, student work examples, certificates from professional development, transcripts, diploma copies, letters of recommendation, evaluation copies from student teaching and/or from the principal...I just think about how hard it is for tiny me (less than 5 ft in height) to tote around ONE of these binders, let alone 6 of them!
    I'm kind of wondering the make up of teaching portfolios across the country now...

24. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

Well, it was not a full portfolio- not my student teaching portfolio which sounds exactly like what you are describing!
    I never learned about this in college, no job search hints, nothing! Everything I have learned has been through networking here. It is actually a mini-portfolio.

I will PM you with more info about what I included.

25. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Rejected! I did not get it. They are giving me my portfolio's back though which is pretty cool. I just got the terrible call about an hour ago. I will be back out looking Monday- luckily I have found another posting that I have already dropped off materials, but I can visit again and drop off a portfolio and meet the P this time! I am ready to get back out there- obviously this was not meant to be and I am ready to find the perfect fit!

26. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

Awwww. Bummer. I am sorry :( That is nice they are sending back your portfolio. I do the minis too and they add up!

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

I'm sorry, SwOcean Gal. Hopefully you'll get more interview calls soon!