Panel Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eternalsunshine, May 9, 2014.

1. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

May 9, 2014

I went on my first teaching interview last week. I knew it would be a panel interview but I did not expect there to be THAT many people... I couldn't even count all of them. (Probably 12-15 people?) Are most panel interviews this large? Any advice on panel interviews would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3. miles2go4u

miles2go4u Rookie

May 9, 2014

Now that's a huge panel! I think the most I've had is 8. I guess I would say to make sure that you've made eye contact with everyone at some point by the end. Get all their names to send thank you's afterward. (with that many people I wouldn't try to do it there. I would just call afterward and talk to the secretary!)

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 10, 2014

When dealing with large panels, I try to focus on just one person at a time; whomever I'm making eye contact with at the time. The key is to not get overwhelmed. Make it seem like you are sitting there with one other person, or maybe a small group of friends. Panicking never helps!

I don't feel like going back and finding my post from almost a year ago, but I had a panel with around 20 people on it once. I was being considered for K-2 and 3-5 so they brought both panels into the room for my interview.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 10, 2014

I looked. I couldn't help it. My mind has been a bit hyperbolic. It was 'only' 15 :lol:

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

May 10, 2014

That is huge! The most I've ever had is maybe five.

In panel interviews, I try to shift my gaze from person to person, but dwell mostly on the one who asked the question I'm responding to - much like in a classroom.

You might try sending a thank you note to whomever was leading the interview, and ask that person to convey your thanks to the others. I think that would be acceptable, given the size of the committee.

7. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

May 10, 2014

That is a big panel! The most I've had is 6. When I started the job hunt last year, one of the parents on the dance team I coached is a principal and told me just focus on the person who asked the question. It took a few times to get used to that because I want to look at everyone, but once I got the hang of it I felt more comfortable.

I also agree with Rhesus on sending the thank you to whomever was leading. Normally I try to send one to all panel members, but I think that would be difficult to track down all those names. Good luck!