Pandora Station for Middle School

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Furthuron, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Apr 8, 2014

My students love listening to music while they do certain tasks, which I like because it makes them more focused. However, my radio is terrible and will only pick up one station if someone stands and holds onto the antenna the entire time.

Does anyone know of a Pandora or iTunes Radio station that would be appropriate for teens? They love rap and hip hop, but of course most of it isn't school appropriate

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 8, 2014

What about Iheartradio app? There is Ryan Seacrest's American Top 40 station. You can make a playlist, too, I believe.

4. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Apr 8, 2014

I make my kids listen to the Sound of Music Radio on Pandora and when they are taking a test, they listen to the Classical for Studying Radio.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 9, 2014

I had them listen to Traditional Celtic and Afro Celt Sound System on St. Patty's day, and I've been on a bit of a bender on it for a while recently.

I've sometimes had Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong radio playing.

Sometimes instrumental classical, Erik Satie, etc.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2014

My well-tuned Wilson Pickett station went over very well with my after-school homework help group yesterday.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 9, 2014

My kids like soft jazz.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 9, 2014

I'm glad I'm not a student right now. I would've found ANY music a distraction in my class.
    :dizzy:

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 9, 2014

For my own listening pleasure, I have nothing but good things to say about Pandora. I don't use it in the classroom as a teacher is not in control of which songs Pandora picks. Sure 9 songs could be fine, but all it takes is that 1 song that is not to create a terrible problem.

I would suggest making a YouTube playlist of songs that you think the students would like, but that you also feel are appropriate. It only takes a minute to Google the lyrics and find out if each song is appropriate.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2014

Lindsey Stirling. She's a violinist who plays over hip-hop and dubstep electronica.

You'll love it and they'll love it, plus no lyrics (unless Pandora gets a little frisky) to worry about or disrupt them. I don't often agree with Reality Check but some kids are very easily distracted and lyrics definitely can for a whole bunch of kids.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 10, 2014

Ooooh I looked up Lindsey Stirling on IheartRadio! Love it. My Immortal was the first song that came up. Cool!

12. gdoggx

gdoggx New Member

Apr 17, 2014

teens.. One Direction, Justin Beiber, Miley Cyrus stations

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 17, 2014

I like Spotify. I can control exactly what songs are being played, and make playlists. There is a student who's job it is to ask for music, and then pick the playlist if I ok it. It's always instrumental, and only when they are working on writing or math. We did listen to some Disney Radio today while they worked on Open House projects, but that is a very rare treat. I'm really sensitive to any lyrics, especially in fifth grade.

14. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Apr 26, 2014

There's a kidzbop station that plays current songs appropriate for kids. However, as my students were singing along, they realized it wasn't the original artist but a kid singing. They acted as if I had betrayed them. Apparently middle schoolers are too mature for kidzbop!!

15. dubyduby

dubyduby New Member

Nov 20, 2014

Great station for kids! Thanks for the suggestion

Great station for kids! Thanks for the suggestion