Pandora in the classroom

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 14, 2011

What stations do you like? I usually play Zoe Keating, Mozart or Vivaldi. I especially love Pandora now because I received a 'premium' subscription for Christmas (my favorite gift!!) and so now I can skip songs until my heart's content and NO ADS!! :)

Share your favorite stations for writing time, quiet time, morning work, whatever....

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 14, 2011

I just learned about Pandora before Christmas Break from my former CT. She had discovered it was no longer "blocked content" on the school system, so she plans to use that for kids to listen to in the room while working. I have a free subscription but haven't tried it in the room yet.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 14, 2011

Unfortunatly it is still blocked at school. :( I can, however, play it from the iPad.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011

Jackson Browne is currently my favorite.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 14, 2011

We aren't supposed to stream music at school. It uses our bandwidth and slows down internet for everyone.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 14, 2011

I severely doubt that a school, on a business connection, would have a bandwidth limitation of any kind (Or if it did, it would not be even dented by the streaming of music)

The slowing down of internet is somewhat understandable, but only if everyone in the school were streaming at once, straining the incredibly old cables

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 14, 2011

In a brand new school (so new cables), the computer tech came into a teacher's room and insisted she stop streaming music. She was the only one in the district doing so, and the computer dude said she was causing problems district wide.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 15, 2011

Then something must be set up incredibly badly on their networking servers to cause such a problem. Do they not allow any form of streaming media?

What about websites with images?

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 15, 2011

I stream Sirius radio in my class... it was wonderful during the Christmas season, as I would play the Christmas music while they worked... now it's back to classical music.

The only time we were ever warned about streaming was when we were told not to stream Obama's inauguration... or that if we were to stream it, to only do it in one classroom, and have everyone watch. (Or watch it on TV). In fact, we had a big Discovery Education event in our district recently, and we were informed that each class in the district should make an effort to watch the webcast online! (Unfortunately it was broadcast twice, once during recess, and once as the kids were leaving for the end of the day.)

11. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jan 15, 2011

I play it in my room and the students love it when we're doing work or in study hall! I usually play Dave Matthews Band or John Mayor radio.

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jan 15, 2011

Great timing! I was just thinking yesterday that I should play some new music during study hall! Thanks!