Painting Without Brushes

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, May 17, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

May 17, 2009

My school just hit me with a "Writer's Showcase" night tomorrow. Long story short, I found out on Friday that we need to have some form of a writing piece out in the hallway tomorrow night. Parents and families will be able to come for an hour or so and walk the hallways, checking out great writing pieces from each class.

My kids are 4, so obviously there will not be writing work hanging around like there will be in the 5th grade wing. We write plenty, but nothing that I can grab and put in the hallway tomorrow and look decent.

At any rate, I had an idea to have my kids make kites to hang outside, and then have them write a short description sentence "My kite is ________." Easy enough, but I would like to have them do something creative to decorate the kites and I haven't been able to come up with anything all weekend. I need something simple, fast, and quick drying. We have already done marble painting, water bottle spraying, plastic cup painting, sponge painting. Any other simple ideas? I have heard good things about feather painting but I'm not sure about it!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 17, 2009

If you are making kites using big blue paper and white paint that was applied with shower puffs (or the feather idea, or both) might be nice and cloudy. Then the kites on top of that.

4. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

May 17, 2009

I've done "wind" painting using drinking straws - you could paint the wind that is blowing your kites. I like the shower puff ideas too! For wind painting, I have the kids dip the end of their straw in paint and then blow through it onto the paper. Or you can put paint on the paper and the kids blow the paint around - either one works! (WaProvider, I'm totally using the shower puff idea next year when we're learning about the Spring! Super cute!!)

5. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

May 17, 2009

If you have the kids use ink pads and stamps to decorate their kites, they will dry quick and you can get them displayed in the hallway before the parents arrive.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 17, 2009

flower painting? Small mums or something with a long and strong enough stem. I saw this being done at a preschool school for children with autism. I loved the idea. You could use silk flowers of various kinds to get different textures and designs.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 17, 2009

You are welcome for the puffs idea. One year I got a lot of those for mothers'/teacher day.

I cut a notch in the straw, up near the mouth so that the paint can't be sucked up. I also make a tape flag on the straw so that I can write the names of the children on the tag and try to keep the kids and straws from mixing up. Straw painting is hard, for me, when there is a lot going on.

8. Kase

Kase Companion

May 18, 2009

I did this with my 2s and I used fake gerbera daisies. It turned out awesome! I've done the feather idea and they had a lot of fun with it. If you don't want to paint you could have them decorate their kites with different textures. Maybe tissue paper, scraps of ribbon, huge sequins to make them sparkle. Have them paint on the glue with a brush so it's not a huge glob and they can go to town. It would be their masterpiece and it would dry really fast.

9. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

May 19, 2009

We are going to throw paint tomorrow. Use smocks of course or if you have more time have kids wear grubby clothes. Go outside and tape up pieces of butcher paper. Kids will then put hands in paint (cups or plates work) and then throw it at the paper. The kids have a blast!! This might be a little much for what you are needing but I couldn't resist sharing.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Ice cube painting.

Freeze popsicle sticks in ice cubes. Sprinkle powdered paint on your kits, and use the ice cubes to "activate" the paint and spread it on the paper.

11. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

May 21, 2009

I painted with hay (straw) with my kids during Western week this year. They had a lot of fun with it. We also painted with a blow dryer.

12. Xtine

Xtine Companion

May 23, 2009

A couple of my favorites are:

Balloon painting - blow up some waterballoon sized balloons, dip into the paint and squish onto the paper.

Hammer painting - drops of paint on the paper, cover with a large coffee can lid or something similar, then the kids pound on it with one of the hammers from the toolbench, then remove the plastic lid.

Plexiglass - again drops of paint on the paper, squish on the plexiglass, and lift, it makes beautiful coral like branches.