painting tips

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 10, 2002

I'm wondering if anyone has tips for "drop and fold" painting, where the children drop paint on one side of the paper, and then fold it and open it again to see the results. What kind of paint and paper works best? What kinds of droppers are best, and do you have any other helpful hints? I've done this many times, but am still looking for the best materials and results. Thanks so much for your help!

3. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Apr 10, 2002

Hi, we love to do this in my classroom. I have done this in a variety of ways. Sometimes I water down tempera paint and use eye droppers. Other times I leave it thick and let the children use a plastic spoon to drip the paint down. I always use a heavy construction paper, not the flimsy kind. Sometimes after the paint is dropped on the paper and the paper is folded, the children take rollers and roll on top of the paper for a different kind of effect when opened.

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Apr 12, 2002

You can also use small squirt bottles (leaving the paint thick) and have them squirt drops on pre-folded paper. I just let them rub their hands on the paper when folded to spread. I too use heavy construction paper. I like to make prints with white paint on blue paper after reading the book -- It Looks Like Spilt Milk. Then I have the children guess what their picture looks like.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

May 6, 2002

I bought "nancy" bottles from Discount school supplies. They were VERY inexpensive, and they are just the right size.

We use a good grade construction paper, but the younger ones tend to get a little carried away with the paint, and it squishes out the edges. But so what, it cleans up just fine.