Painting Hands?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Sep 14, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 14, 2009

Does anyone know of a good procedure to stamp the kids' handprints? I would like them to stamp their left hands and their right hands with paint on a piece of paper to learn "left & right" ... but how on earth do I do it without having a huge mess and lots of chaos?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 14, 2009

My partner has big stamp pads. I don't know where she got them but she likes to shop with Really Good Stuff.

I use a sponge brush and paint their hands. We both have sinks in our room so that helps with clean up.

For left and right, I would use red for right and blue for left.

4. jeifer

jeifer Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

You can also make your own "stamp pad". Put a little bit of paint on a piece of felt and they stamp their hand on that and then the paper.

5. nykteacher

nykteacher Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

Finger paint works well and cleans up really quickly with a little soap and water. I usually call the kids to me while the rest are playing.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2009

In addition to the ideas above,use some baby wipes to clean their hands off before they go to a sink to finish washing up.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2009

That's what I was going to suggest. Do one at a time!

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 14, 2009

I like a plate to dip the hands in - then have wipes right next to them, then they can go and wash their hands after wiping most of hte paint off.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2009

When we do The Kissing Hand the first day of school, I paint the kids' hands with a regular paint brush (thicker than a watercolor brush), and then have them put their hands in a bucket of warm water and it rinses right off because I do it right away. I agree though, I would do one color at a time!! (Or if you have and aide or a parent volunteer, each of you could do a different color!)

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 14, 2009

Nasco has nice big ink pads. To keep them from paint/ink all over the place..have a sink full of soapy water ready to go..and the kids have to keep both hands in the air until they are washing in the sink.