painting and 3-4 year olds

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by puff5655, Sep 30, 2010.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

At the beginning of the year we go through so much paint and paper because the kids are just into the motion of it- they swirl globs of paint round and round on their papers until there are no white spaces left and there are holes in them!

It ain't about the product, I know. But it seems like a waste of paper when the kids care not about what happens to it after the fact.

Has anyone discovered a way to conserve? Maybe painting on some sort of surface that can be washed off and reused?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 30, 2010

I use lunch trays... let the kids paint to their heart's content, then we can smooth a piece of paper over the top at the end if they want something to take home. Cleans up really easily.

I also have some "fingerpaint trays" that are bigger, but not nearly as sturdy.

4. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

painting on cookie sheets

5. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010

We have the easel out once every four days or so and each student gets to paint one picture. We do other projects and use different materials the other days, so kids get to use a variety of things but we don't drive ourselves batty manning the painting area.

6. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Sep 30, 2010

I love giving my 4's a 2 in. paintbrush and small container of water. We go outside and "paint" the building.

This is also a great time to use shaving cream instead of paint.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

I use the small condiment cups that you can buy at a restaurant supply stores and I put out only two or three squirts into the cups at a time. That way I can regulate amounts by ounces. Colors get muddied as the day goes on or the project progresses but the cups are disposable. I usually keep putting fresh paint on top of older paint. As you say, small ones do not seem to care what they are painting so you can also limit colors to two primary colors and you'll end with an analogous color scheme or a warm or cool color scheme.

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

Try starting with watercolors and a little container of water or wet sponge. This way they go through all the painting motions without wasting a lot of paint.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2010

You have been given great ideas so far. I like to have them paint 3-D things as well. It takes a lot of concentration and attention and is a whole new experience. Today we did eucalyptus bark I picked off the ground. Yesterday we did leaves and made prints from them. Next week I will get a big pumpkin and they can paint it over and over or we can wipe it off and start again.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 30, 2010

I think the easel should be available at all times. Using different paper can make it more exciting. Try using old newspaper and black paint. It looks great.

Recycle everything. I have seen those cardboard separators used in apple and orange crates used. Kids love the variety, as it is the process, not the product they are intersted in.

One really great idea I have used is: Get a piece of plexiglass, clear, and put it in a stand so that 2 children can paint on both sides at the same time. What fun, lots of laughter. (You might have to build a stand, but it is easy.)

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 1, 2010

I can see me doing this but how yet, I do not know.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 1, 2010

Definitely try the shaving creme, so much fun and it cleans the tables as well. The kids love it! I have cookie cutters, cars, and other toys for them to use in the shaving creme, along with their fingers to practice writing their names, shapes, etc.

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 1, 2010

With the shaving cream you can add food coloring and take a handprint when they are done "painting". Makes an easy take home project and allows them a lot of "painting time" prior. I also liked to do two colors and let them mix them to see what would happen.

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2010

The 3-D idea is great.
    They can paint these...
    -BIG white paint buckets
    -BIG cardboard boxes
    -the fence with water
    -concrete floor outside with water
    -the cars and bikes with water
    -the playground equipment with water

Rebel1

15. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Oct 2, 2010

Wow, wonderful ideas!

We have some big trays in the room, I hadn't thought of using them for this! That'll work! The 3-d painting is great too!

Some of these things I can't do, since I live in rural Alaska, like:
    -Painting playground equip with water-- temps have long been below freezing here already!
    -Shaving cream-- this costs about $7/can up here!

Rest of ideas are great though!

We had a plexiglass easel we bought in my last preschool and we loved it! It was a lot of work to clean up, but did save a lot of paper and the social interaction was a big plus.

I'm a big believer in keeping paints out all the time as an option. The first few weeks, everyone wants to paint every day, but the interest does wane and then you just have a few kids a week after that. I also have an assistant so there's someone to keep the area clean.

Thanks again!

16. whatup212

whatup212 Rookie

Oct 2, 2010

Those plexiglass easels look great, it's nice to get an idea of what other people think of them. Did you just spray them down and wipe them off in between each student?

I like the idea of having the easel open all of the time, but we don't have enough adults or space in the classroom to do that. We rotate our toys to keep things fresh, I think it's okay to rotate our art supplies too.

17. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 2, 2010

You could also vary the "brushes" the children use to paint with...branches, feathers, scrubby pads, rubber bands attached to a dowel, balloons, bungees... It takes longer to fill a sheet of paper so the children can paint as long as they like.

18. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 2, 2010

Painting at an easel is different than painting with the paper on the table. Different muscles are used. Vary positions so all muscles get a chance to develop.

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

Hey puff-

I had no idea shaving cream is so expensive up there... is there just not as much demand!?! You can do something similar with Cool Whip or Ready Whip or other whipped cream... plus it's edible :) I also like painting with pudding... the kids love it, as well :)