Painful feet

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wldywall, Oct 20, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2014

I am losing my mind, by the end of the day I am hobbling back to my car and to my apartment.

Worse yet I have to part at the front of the building and let the Valet drive me to my car to where my apartment is, which is like an 15 minute walk (LOOOOOONG building).

So I am nearly crying when I get home.

I have planter faciatis (spelling...:whistle:) and have done physical therapy, gotten custom orthotics, but am still dealing with pain. I have two pairs of work shoes right now, one are Dansko's and the others are Merrils. I need to find a solution.

Any suggestions to a high quality shoe that will help relieve my foot pain but not cost $150-$180 a pair?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 20, 2014

I went to Fleet Feet and got some Brooks sneakers with Montrail insoles when mine were killing me like that. I had the same problem.

Others swear by Allegria shoes.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 20, 2014

What finally worked for me was stretches mornings, midday, and at night plus soaking in ice water for as long as I could stand before bed. After, I just used Dr. Schols sports gel soles in my shoes. And Lots and Lots of Ibuprofen.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2014

I always work very thin ballet flats until I hurt my foot a few years ago. After that, I would limp by the end of the day. It hurt so bad.
    I have two pairs of ballet flats- one are Clarks and the other Bass. My feet never hurt anymore.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 21, 2014

My mom has gotten a few cortisone injections for her plantar fasciitis - though I assume you've already gotten your allowance of those.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

No bros, that is one option I was never allowed to pursue due to insurance. It's on the table now, I've even tried sleeping in those special boots but I have a teeny leg deformity where one of my feet pulls off to the side a bit. No one notices unless I point it out....but it's enough that I can't wear those those boots......Brooke a pair actually.......sigh

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

wldy, I had the same thing - with ganglion cysts on top of the plantar fasciitis (sp?). Injections did not help a bit. I also have arthritis in my feet. The thing that has helped the most is the anti-inflammatory drug diclofenax. It is a generic, very cheap, and has changed my life. I had gotten to the point that I couldn't go down the stairs in my house. Now I can run down them.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

Oh, you take just one a day and it lasts the 24 hours. In fact, sometimes I skip one and I am fine until the next night. And I got the spelling wrong - it is diclofenac.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2014

The one thing that helped me was losing a significant amount of weight. I haven't had the problem since.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2014

I've ruptured my Achiilles tendon, so although that's not the same thing, I agree w/ scmom. Losing weight alone can make a world of difference. As we know, extra weight causes lots of problems, not to say you're fat.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

I have been working on the weight thing, I only have about 40 lbs to lose (well those chart things say around 100, but really who should be under a 100 lbs to be healthy???).

All the walking is helping, and I would even be using the gym in my building, if my feet didn't hurt.

Now all I need is my insurance cards (still waiting after a month) so I can see about other options.

Thanks folks, still open to ideas......or how to do a self foot amputation, that is an option....... :whistle:

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2014

I had some pretty significant problems with my heels a few years ago. I found that I needed to wear a either a very low heel or put inserts (over the counter orthotics, although, if the pain had persisted I would have gone and been fitted) in my flats in order to keep the pain to a minimum. Foot stretches, getting in shape and losing weight helped tremendously--I've been pain-free for a few years now.

14. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 21, 2014

...What?!

They paid for orthotics and physical therapy before paying for a $30 cortisone shot?

Your insurance sounds insane.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

I wear sneakers.

I'm not trying to be funny- but sit down more! I have to sit down a good portion of my day because of bad feet injuries. I used to have a little stool and carry it around to each desk and sit down on it when a kid needed me. When they don't need me I sit somewhere else. You can still be an interactive teacher and give students all the attention they need.

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

The last cortisone shot I got, in my hip, cost $575, and that was only my share seems those shots fell under the 60/40 rule. I hope the new insurance is better

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

Tennis shoes don't help.....and get this they are against dress code....even on jeans day.

I do sit whenever I can, but some teachers don't have a very friendly push in environment.....No place to put my stuff, no place to sit, no where to work with kids. So I stand

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

http://www.alegriashoes.com/ Our school nurse swears by these. There was another brand she bragged about being comfy, too. She also has PF.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

Orthotics are helpful and I agree with lucy that you have to sit as much as possible. I used to look like an idiot wheeling around my room on my wheeled chair. You can't exercise until you have rested the feet. Do those stretching exercises leaning forward against the wall. And, really, try that medication.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2014

This is what our old school nurse just told me...

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 21, 2014

My feet look normal enough but my bones aren't where they are supposed to be and one ankle has lots of metal in it, so while I don't have the same conditions, I can understand foot pain.

One thing that has helped me is not wearing the same shoes two days in a row. I also have some Clarks flip flops that I put on during my planning if I don't have meetings.

I know you said you can't wear sneakers but could your doctor write you a note for work? I wore black tennis shoes for two years after my first round of surgeries on my feet, but I gave my admin a note from my doctor.

I hope you find something that brings you relief. Chronic pain in any part of the body is just miserable.

23. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

Tell her thanks. I have forgotten about those early morning stretches. Think I'll try them again. As for the Aleve, been doing that for years.....first it helped, but not so much anymore. Good news is I get my insurance cards tomorrow, so I can finally find a new doc

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2014

I have arthritis in one of my toe joints so I totally understand. And I sometimes work in rooms with nowhere to sit ... so I grab a chair for that period from a nearby room.

Also, just losing 5 pounds helped tremendously, even though my doctor said it might not make a difference. I think he meant that it wouldn't make the arthritis go away. But it really helped lessen the chronic pain.

25. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2014

Well here's hoping....already down five possibly ten since moving (not sure how much, as the scale didn't survive the downsizing)

26. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2014

Give it some time. It took a few months after my weight loss for the pain to gradually diminish.

27. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2014

Stretches on the stairs helped me lots. They were painful to do. Basically the toes on the stairs and the heels off.

Also I bought my Danskos/Sanitas so snug I struggled getting them on. But it worked. It was suggested by my PT.

28. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 30, 2014

Birkenstocks saved my life, my feet, my sanity. I need to lose weight which would help ME tremendously as well. Birkenstocks rock. However, they're ugly as heck! You can find them under your price point on amazon. Did I mention they're ugly? But hey - you'll be smiling!!!!!!!!!

29. Xandra

Xandra Guest

May 27, 2015

Have you asked your dr what kind of shoe you should used so that you will be out of pain in due time .

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 27, 2015

My Bobs with memory foam have been my lifesavers. Not the regular ones, they are too flat. http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-memory-foam-bobs.htm

I love them. They are so wonderful. I have some very expensive doctor recommended and they are not as comfortable as these. I have three pairs in different colors. I wear them with everything. I have another pair of another brand and they are not as comfortable.

31. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 27, 2015

This helped me as well.

I also slept in one of these foot splints, and it did wonders!

32. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 27, 2015

I only wear Skechers because of my plantar fasciitis. The tennis shoes are amazing!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2015

wldywall, find any more solutions?

I certainly would have asked my dr to do this & since it has to do w/ your health, your school couldn't say anything about it.

BTW, a RN friend of mine said Crocs aren't as good for your feet as many people think. She said Danskos are better.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 27, 2015

I don't see why anyone would think that Crocs would be good for their feet...but anyway...
    I also like Sketchers and have a few different pairs from casual to a bit more dressy. I am going to look into the BOBS that someone posted also.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2015

Yeah, I never had Crocs & don't plan to get any.

I checked out that Alegria brand that someone posted in here. They seem not quite as heavy as Danskos.

I wish the high quality comfort shoes didn't look so much like orthopedic shoes, old lady shoes, or whatever you want to call them. You'd think in this day & age, they still wouldn't have "that look" & be a lot more stylish.

36. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

May 27, 2015

90% of the nurses I work with wear the alegrias. They love them. I personally didn't find them comfortable for my arches, but I am a tough fit when it comes to shoes. I would recommend going to someplace like Macy's and trying on all the different styles of Alegres because they all feel a little different. Then if you find when you like you can usually pretty get a pretty good deal online if you search.

Some people really like the danskos, and i've heard really good things about Birkenstocks too.

And don't forget about everything you learned in therapy, lots of stretching, rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle, etc.

37. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

Danskos and Merrils are what the doc told me to buy....not helping. And its so bad now when I get home I have to put my feet up for a time or I can't cook dinner...or walk to the bathroom without tears

38. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 28, 2015

I found no other solutions. my workplace is weird about who has to follow the rules and who doesn't...if you're popular you are free to do what you want....I am not in with the in crowd.

The health insurance costs nearly $500 a month, but is to expensive to use.....and finding a doctor is impossible......

My solution, rotate shoes- everyday a different pair, a lot of rest, and sit as much as I can. I found a great shoe repairman who has done adjustments that help, and I'll get different shoes when I can.

I still contemplate a foot-ectomy, but my son reminds me that it would be hard to paint my toenails if I didn't have any.....so I wait for better insurance.

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2015

When I taught my first year I had the same problem. I went shopping for Easy Spirit tennis shoes that looked nicer, and that solved the problem. It wasn't that the shoes I had been wearing were poorly made or ill-fitting because I could wear them without problems outside of school. For some reason I just needed extra support on the school's floors.

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 31, 2015

I swear by prescription anti-inflammatory, diclofenac. It changed my life.