Pain when writing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Go 4th, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 26, 2010

I have a 5th grader who has pain in his hand when writing. He says it's between his first finger and thumb, including those fingers. Needless to say, he HATES to write. He's allowed to use the computer but what can we do to develop those muscles in his hand? Are those the fine motor muscles? Our county has pretty much done away with OT services and I'm searching for any advice on how to help.
    TIA!

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 26, 2010

Our kindergartners play with legos and playdough to work on fine motor skills.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 26, 2010

If he's in 4th grade and using a computer to compensate has he had a medial eval. Have you asked the family? Here OT is NOT a stand alone service. It can go on to speech or to academics. However your school "cannot do away with OT services" if there is a need for it. It is a federal mandate that sped law be followed.

5. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 27, 2010

I actually have pain when I write too. It's terrible but I did find that I tend to grip my pencil too hard. Could that be what he is doing?

6. TAKlinda

TAKlinda Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

Have you tried a pencil grip? One of my students uses a large diameter mechanical pencil.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

I have pain when writing. It's dysgraphia.

First off, the county cannot "do away" with OT services.

If the student does not have an IEP, you need to refer them for an IEP, so they can receive OT services.

Don't force the student to write.

Also, what is his pencil grip? I'm not suggesting that you try to change it (It is far beyond that point) but his pencil grip may be contributing to the pain.

What is his primary writing utensil?

You might want to try giving him a weighted pencil ( http://www.staples.com/Pilot-Dr.-Gr...Area=SEARCH&catalogIdentifier=2&cmArea=SEARCH )

It might help.

If you need any help with regards to sped law, feel free to send me a PM

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 28, 2010

Can I also recommend that you talk to his previous teachers? Usually something like this does not suddenly show up. Hopefully a good solution can be found for him--- as much as we use computers now, he'll still be responsible for being able to write by hand too.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

At least here, without going through the special education department, this student would still be required to write, not type, on the state test at the year's end. Just something to think about...

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

I would be very, VERY hesitant to recommend anything other than a visit to the doctor's office.

He's in pain. Let his pediatrician determine why.

11. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

i dont now if this is like this anywhere, but if anyone in school recommends a child to any ind of doctor, evaluation, etc the parent can later come back and request the school to pay for it!

12. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

That is what I was going to recommend, that the topic creator recommends to the parent that they get the child tested by the school. Then the school may or may not do a proper evaluation, leading to the school having to pay for an IEE in all areas of disability.

The important thing to help get an inkling of what it is:
    1. How bad is the pain?
    2. After how long does it start?

If it is severe pain that starts shortly after writing (1-2 minutes of consistent writing) then it may be something requiring OT/PT and it should be pursued further.

Inform the parents if they do not already know.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 28, 2010

Talk to the parents - he might be pulling one over on you! Then don't suggest a doctor, but ask if they have talked to the pediatrician about this issue. Then they will have the ball in their court.

All the suggestions are good - try to get a pencil grip for him and encourage him not to ball his hand into a fist. You can probably modify a few assignments for the first couple of weeks then gradually expect more from him - unless he is diagnosed of course, then you would have to go with IEP recommendations.

Legos, puzzles, playdough, pick up sticks, paint by number - any activities that get him to use his fingers will help him strengthen those muscles. With my young kids, when they complain about their hand hurting, I let them take a few minutes break, then back to the job. Sometimes just a walk down the hall for a drink, or I'll put on some dance music and everyone takes a break. That helps too.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

OK, then ask the parents what the doctor said when they DID ask him.

Don't kids have to get semi-annual physicals by law?

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

Not here!

I went to the doctor before starting kindergarten as required by law, before starting sixth grade as required by law, and one other time for strep throat...and those are the only times I had been to the doctor for any reason until I took myself as an adult. My young siblings don't go semi-annually either.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2010

Really?

My own kids get annual physicals.

I'm pretty sure that state policy is every other year-- all the even numbered grades.

My school mandates an annual physical.

I had no idea that it wasn't that way elsewhere.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

Annuals are a good idea, don't get me wrong. But kindergarten and sixth grade physicals are required in Kentucky, and then in high school you need a tetanis shot but can get that at the school nurse...no need for a physical or trip to the doctor's office.

So your high school requires students to get annual physicals? That's very surprising to me!

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

Here's current information as I graduated high school in 2000.

Kindergarten
    A physical
    A new dental requirement
    Vision screening
    Current immunization certificate

Sixth Grade:
    Physical
    Up to date immunization certificate

9th Grade:
    Physcial
    Up to date immunization certificate

So, here's what's changed: the dental requirement (I most certainly wasn't taken to the dentist as a child...grrrr), the eye exams were done at school, and we didn't have to get a physical in high school.

19. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

Other things - have him put bingo chips in the palm of his hand and have him feed them to his index finger + thumb and then put them in a container

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 29, 2010

well if you reccommend a service like psych, you can say however, "at your next doctors appointment you might want to raise that question with your physician" (providing they brought it up).