Paid to Work Evening Programs?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by EDUK8_ME, Mar 1, 2008.

1. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 1, 2008

Just curious if you are compensated in any way or not, if you work/attend evening events at your school or child care center? Also, is it mandatory that you attend evening functions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2008

1 contracted parent teacher conference night, one contracted back to school night. No mandatory evening participation outside of this...

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

yes everything evening and weekends is mandatory, and we get paid for it. (open house, back to school night, vpk meeting night, christmas program, graduation, etc)

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Mar 2, 2008

Yes and no. Some things are mandatory (meetings, training, back-to-school night) and we are compensated for them. Some things are optional (the auction, meet-and-greets), and I do them because I like them and as a professional, I sometimes do things that benefit me in ways other than my paycheck.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 3, 2008

Based on your contract, you will or won't get paid. I certainly expect to pay for every minute my teachers work. And if it is over 40 hours per week, they get overtime.

7. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

I am required to attend a few evening things a year--Back to school night, confrences twice a year, a beginning of the year and an end of the year meeting, certain workshops (about 4 a year), and graduation. These are the planned times. A few times a month, one of my bosses will have some "emergency" meeting that goes on forever and I have to stay for it. As a matter of fact, there was one today. I don't get paid extra for any of it. :'(

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 4, 2008

Like the others, some are required, some are paid, and some I go to but don't get paid. I volunteered to help with our Science Olympiad & afterwards my principal offered to pay me. I get paid extra for being a club advisor. If I show up to help at Coldstone night or Barnes & Noble night, that's not paid, but it's fun & builds community with our families, so I don't mind.

9. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

Unfortunately I have to attend everything and get no compensation for it....sometimes I even have to attend things that do not involve my age group at all.

10. Marleeismydog

Marleeismydog Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

I work at a Kindercare, we get paid for every moment we spend in the center working. If it's conferences, programs, meeting, Professional Development days, parties, everything.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 8, 2008

Some things are not compensated, but expected (holiday/graduation programs in evening). We are considered exempt employees. We may stay late until kids are picked up, or need to come in early for IEP meetings. Usually workshops will offer a stipend, but you may have to chase somebody down for that check! Off campus workshops are usually free, and include lunch, so you get trained and a day off, and it pays for itself.

12. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

I work at a Catholic school, so we are required to attend faculty meetings, parent-teacher meetings, open house (on a Sunday), certain Sunday masses, graduation, school programs, and other meetings that come up during the year. I do not get paid for these events, and I believe that only faculty meetings and parent-teacher meetings (like PTO) are included in our contract. The rest is just "expected" out of us.

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 9, 2008

We get paid for helping or working at after school events, but not for attending things like programs or family nights at restuarants. I try to do a few unpaid ones each year and sign up for at least half of the paid things that are optional because I figure it looks good to the admin. if they see you participating in different settings. It's also an easy way to get a few extra bucks in the paycheck.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Mar 9, 2008

I also work at a Catholic school. The teachers are salaried. We have contracts and the extra events are not included in the contract. The events you mentioned are also expected of us.

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2008

Assuming these functions are held at school...when my teachers were paid hourly, yes. When they were on salary, no, but I usually was able to let them go home a few times early that week if an event was planned so they didn't have to work more hours. It wasn't always guaranteed, but I tried.

16. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Mar 10, 2008

I am salary as well so I get no extra compensation for our family nights (3x/year), open house, home visits, and Readiness Council meetings (I think those are 3x/year). This is all beyond school time hours.

17. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

I'm salaried also--that's why I don't get extra $ for staying late. I don't complain; I have a job that pays the bills. I'm expected to stay whenever they want me to, for whatever reason: they have a meeting I have to attend, administration has a meeting others have to attend and they want me to watch another class, I have training, conferences, workshops, etc. etc. Not counting what I do on my own (finishing up work, cleaning up) I put in at least an hour a week extra. I know it doesn't sound like much but it adds up--especially when you DO count all the extra time I choose to do on my own. And what really bothers me about it is that if I do need to leave early, I'm nickled-and-dimed about my time. If I'm not feeling well and leave an hour early, they use an hour of sick time. If I have an early morning meeting at my son's school, they take a half hour of personal time. So there's no quid pro quo. They make me stay for "free" when it's convenient for them, but they'll take 15 minutes off my "2 days a year" personal time if I have to leave early.

18. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 10, 2008

I am salaried, but we still get paid for those things because I am salaried to be a teacher between 8-4. Our district is pretty respectful of our time. If we are sick and our kids are done for the day, but we have 30-45 minutes left on the clock, we just sign out - don't make a habit of it, but life happens and sometimes making it through the day is enough and you need to go home and take care of yourself. Better that than them pay for a sub in my mind.