Paid Prep Time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by skyone, Sep 19, 2009.

1. skyone

skyone Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

I am wondering if anyone gets paid for prep time? We are expected to complete all lesson plans, monthly calendars, newsletters, and any project prep time during the week as well as clean our room and on Mondays have to clean up after Sunday School. We get an hour a day outside of the children attending but we have a 20 minute meeting in the morning and are expected to clean the room (despite having a janitor) including the sinks and counters. We also lost the holiday pay for the extra hour outside of the children attending. (e.g. we only get paid for the time the children are in attendance.) Is this standard? When I taught in CA we got an hour a week outside of the extra hour a day we were there and had nap time which we used to write lesson plans, cut out items for projects, etc. Thanks!

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 19, 2009

No nap time, no prep time. I have one hour between classes to eat lunch and prep...usually I lose 10 minutes of it just in dismissal time, and that's assuming the parents show up on time. If I have a late parent, sucks for me. Besides that hour, I only get paid from the minute the kids show up in the morning until the minute I walk them to the door in the afternoon.

4. CandyKisses

CandyKisses Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

Nope. We don't get any real paid prep time. It just comes with the job... We must find time on our own. But, we do have a half hour naptime, where we switch "guard", so 3 out of the 4 days, I get a half hour paid prep time. Then, we also have half hour recess time, where, again, 3 out of the 4 days, we get that half hour prep time. We do, also, have to clean our own rooms, and don't get holiday paid time... Sucks right?

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 19, 2009

I used to have an hour of nap time before I left for the day and was able to work on prep during that time. However, this year my hours have changed and I work 7:30- 12:30 with no break. From 7:30 to 8:45 is free play so I do some prep during that time, often with the kids watching & "helping" me. I make sure I keep an eye and ear on what is going on and make sure I am available to the children at all times and it is working out okay.I do alot of stuff at home. This year I have more prep to do as I moved up to an older age group so am doing all new curriculum. If I was still doing alot of the same curriculum I'd have alot of samples and a better idea of how projects are going to go. The one advantage I have this year is that I had the same group of kids (for the most part) last year and know what they can do on their own.

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

We get nothing. No paid lunch, no built-in prep. During the nap time I am not allowed to do anything but watch the kids sleep. It would be nice to at least be allowed to prep during that time. We also have to do dishes from lunch and snack, vacuum our floors and take out the garbage either after our shift (unpaid) or hope we aren't so understaffed that someone can keep an eye on our room for a bit while we get the cleaning done.

7. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

I teach Preschool in a public school. We are paid for 6 hours/day. The students are there for 3 1/2 hours.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 20, 2009

Oh, Hummingbrd, you have a great job!!

9. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 20, 2009

The last place I worked at, I had 3 hours when the kids napped and then one hour at the end of the day when my assistant and extended day took over so I could come and go as I pleased to prep things. It was extremely nice. Since I have moved, the place I'm working at now, not so much. Definitely on my own time.

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 20, 2009

They just want you to sit there and stare at sleeping children? For how long? You can't sit there with a pair of scissors and cut things, etc.? My children don't nap, so I'm not used to that, but it seems so crazy to me! You could get SO much done and still keep a good sharp eye on all of the children!

11. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

2 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll admit I usually use the time to work on homework (I am finishing up my Ele Ed. degree) or do some guilty pleasure reading. I can't sit there for 2 hours staring at sleeping kids. And they ALL sleep. If I got caught I'd get a lecture though :p

12. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

Even with that amount of time, we have tons of paperwork due to our state funding and accrediation. I still find myself bringing work home.

13. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

This is where I get frustrated. I love my children and what I do but hate how underappreciated we are!!!! We don't get paid for what we do! I get paid (not nearly enough!) for the time my children walk in the door until the time they walk out (or are supposed to anyway-not counting the early arrivals and the late-leavers). I don't get paid for the set-up of my classroom in July and August or the clean-up of my classroom in June, I don't get paid for lesson planning or prep-work, or the countless hours I spend at home and in the classroom when the children are not there and more importantly, because I am UPK I run 181 days a year and get paid the same as the teachers who start later in the year and end earlier!!! UGGHHHH!!

14. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

I get one hour in the room when the children nap--and you'd better believe that they are either napping or quiet. I'm new to public pre-k though, so I have lots of stuff to make. The first two weeks of school I stayed until 5 or 6:00 just to get ready for the next day. I'm usually cutting out things every night and most of my weekends are spend planning for the next week. I can't complain about the cleaning though, I have a janitor that cleans my room! It's such a blessing.

Next year we're getting a new principal, and I'm going to request that someone, anyone come by for a bit during naptime so I could have a real planning time outside the room.

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 20, 2009

this iscertainly NOt a job we do for the money-- it's for the love of the children

16. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 21, 2009

i get an hour everyday for nap time. I also get before and after school and Mondays we get out early for an extra hour to have more prep and PD. My ECSE is part of a school district though.

17. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2009

I get 2 hours per week paid prep time. Anything else is on my own time. I also get 2 hours per week to meet with my team that's paid, and if we don't use it all for meeting, we end up using it as prep.

18. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 21, 2009

I put in 40 hours of my own time to get my classroom ready for open house this year, and have been told I may need to move to a different room if I get a couple more kids. I will have to do it all over again. Like I said before---it's not a job you do for the money-- it's gotta be for the love of it

19. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 22, 2009

I am paid a salary, not hourly.
    -MWF I am with the children from 8 to 2:30 with a 30 minute break.
    -T&TH I have 2 hours of prep time in the middle of the day.
    -Usually, I arrive an hour early and leave 2 hours after the children leave.
    - I also have monthly 2 hour staff meetings

20. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 22, 2009

We are doing it for the love of it. We're just curious as to who got paid prep time. It's not a bad thing to want paid prep time as in time to do it at the school. There's nothing wrong with wanting a social life outside of work. If we're prepping 24/7, teachers would be pulling their hair out. I know I would.
    I don't mind prepping and planning but it's just the cutting things out that I don't have the patience. Oh well! Good thing I've become good at it so it doesn't take as long! :D

21. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 22, 2009

I wasn't implying that it was wrong to wish for paid prep time. Not at all. I'd love to get paid for prep time. I was just making a blanket statement that ALL of us are doing it for the love of it, because if we were doing it to get rich,we'd sure be doing something else!