Paid help for teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SouthernBuckeye, Oct 2, 2014.

1. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Oct 2, 2014

Hi all,

I've posted before because I'm trying to think of small business ideas to help teachers.

Would you guys use any services like these?

• Someone who will come in periodically to update bulletin boards and centers (therefore freeing up hours of before/after school time). Not sure if as a business we'd provide the bulletin boards/centers for your use, or if you'd provide materials and we just set it up. Perhaps we could offer both options and charge accordingly--a little bit more if we provide the materials, less if you provide your own and we just have to come in and put everything together?
    • Someone who would manage your calendar (schedule parent meetings or other meetings, follow up with parents on your behalf to confirm attendance, etc). For something like this, to ensure confidentiality non-disclosure agreements would be signed by the external party who is the helper/assistant. This would be an outsourced assistant (someone who works remotely, off site).
    • Someone who would do research/find resources for you for curriculum development (I know this can be very time consuming when textbooks are outdated or not aligned to common core, so then on our own time we have to find articles, activities, etc.). Also an off site job. This could actually probably be combined with the scheduling assistant job and be called "educational assistant"--like a hybrid of admin/exec assistant for teachers. Grade levels could share a dedicated assistant who works with all team members.
    • Streamlined IEP processes - for example, rather than everyone having to physically appear for IEP meetings, use Google Hangouts and DocuSign to take care of everything. That way parents don't have to find transportation to get to school--a very real issue at schools I have worked at. Or, in wealthier districts, parents could conference in from work and save the drive in/time spent. Use screenshare and the like to go over all the documentation. Also, for district personnel who split their time between multiple buildings, it would eliminate constraints on meetings such as "the occupational therapist is only available for IEP meetings on Tuesdays" or whatever since those faculty members could conference in from any location. So basically, a consulting business on how schools can improve the processes to save everyone time that can then be re-focused onto the students instead of on paperwork and chasing people down. I wasted hours upon hours on IEP processes when I was in the classroom, and now that I work for an online, heavily tech-based company, I am seeing so many ways in which technology could speed it up and benefit everyone. My former schools are so behind the times it's ridiculous!

Thanks for any honest feedback!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2014

I wouldn't pay for any of those services. I also don't think that my district would allow an outside party to perform some of those duties, even with a confidentiality agreement.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 2, 2014

Honestly, no, I wouldn't use any of those services.

I'm cheap, broke, and too many of those services seem like things which are major parts of my job description and I wouldn't feel ethical to delegate them to someone else. (aside from the IEP one)

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 2, 2014

Maybe the third one, but even then only in a real pinch.

Students do the first one for me. Calendars and scheduling aren't even on my radar they're that easy because of google.

6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Oct 2, 2014

No, i wouldn't pay for any of those services. Although I doubt my school district would allow any of those to occur, I also think they are slightly unnecessary or just not ethical. Having someone prepare my bulletin boards or centers would really take more time for me to plan out and decide what needs to be used. I might as well just do it myself. I also wouldn't want anyone contacting parents on my behalf, since parent communication is really important and I want to be able to answer any questions a parent has, without someone just telling them that I'll call back or to schedule a meeting. Finally, as a special education teacher, I think one of the best parts of my job is face to face meetings with parents at annual IEP meetings. I spend so much time working with their children all through the year, and rarely ever get to see the parents, and I think most parents can find it in their time to appear at school 1x/year for a meeting relating to their child's progress and services. In the cases that a ST, PT, or OT can't attend a meeting, they are required to call the parent to discuss progress, but that doesn't happen often here. I think IEP documentation and progress presentation could be more tech friendly, but that's something that most districts are already aware of, but just don't have the funding for.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2014

I hate to be another one to burst your bubble because I know your efforts are genuine, but none of those services would be of help to me.

8. sherrywmx

sherrywmx New Member

Oct 2, 2014

Please recommend some tips if i want to teach in China

As an English teacher, I am really want to teach in China, anyone can give me some recommend which company or agency i should look that can help me to go to china for teach English? Thank you.:)

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 2, 2014

Sorry, no.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 2, 2014

I wouldn't mind having a curriculum assistant, but I'd have to win the lottery before I'd pay for someone to gather materials for me and there's no way my district would ever hire anyone like that. We don't even have content mastery because we can't afford to pay a para!

I would hire someone to clean my house if there was an insured/bonded business or person close by. The people who advertise they will do housecleaning aren't usually people I'd want in my house.

11. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Oct 2, 2014

Thanks guys. My best bet is probably just to forget about helping teachers. I knew I left education for a reason. Too many roadblocks and not enough money.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2014

It is not that we don't want and/or need help, but we don't make enough money to hire help!

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2014

I think your thoughts are good, but as teachers we don't have the $ to pay someone to do some of the tasks you are asking about.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 3, 2014

I've sat around with teachers who would drool over some of these services, but not one of them would be able to afford it out of their own pockets. Are the ideas bad? No, but sometimes what sounds good when you are daydreaming can't be translated into reality at a cost that satisfies buyer and seller. It isn't a matter of lack of teacher support, but, rather a lack of teacher consistently high salaries.