Paid Administrative Leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherSc, Feb 9, 2015.

1. TeacherSc

TeacherSc New Member

Feb 9, 2015

I'm new to the board and am wondering what's going on or what to expect going forward. A co-worker and I have had a rocky relationship and have each filed a formal complaint against one another. I'm not tenured and definitely like the cards are stacked against me.

I've been placed on Administrative Leave with pay for the next two weeks until an investigation is concluded.

In your experience, does this typically lead to dismissal? I'm quite frightened to be honest. I've never wanted to be anything but a teacher.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2015

There is no way we can give you specific advice about what your district will do in your situation. (Not asking you to share personal details)

I have known several teachers placed on leave during an investigation and then placed back in the classroom afterwards.

Was the other teacher placed on leave? If not, it doesn't look really good for you.

Hopefully, things will get straightened out and you can return to your class soon!

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Feb 9, 2015

Was the coworker a teacher or your admin?

5. TeacherSc

TeacherSc New Member

Feb 9, 2015

A teacher. Because of legal issues, I am not allowed to know what the other teacher has field a formal complaint about, nor am I allowed to know if that teacher has been placed on leave.

What I do know is that this teacher is tenured, but has had multiple run ins with multiple teachers, and that in my short experience at this school, I have a clean record and favorable evaluation.

All I want to do is be back in my classroom ASAP. In the mean time, all I can do is write up sub notes and email them to the principal so that it can be printed out and given to the sub.

Has anything like this ever occurred to anyone else? I'm heartbroken right now and know for certain I haven't done anything wrong, but also feel abused at this point and am scared that I'll lose my job without ever having done anything wrong because this particular teacher has tenure. I've never had a problem before this but also feel it would be so easy to be let go.

I'm also worried this can affect me in my future search for a job. That a prospective employer will see that I've had a formal complaint filed against me and have been placed of leave with pay before and that I'm a problem, which is far from the truth. Is my career ruined?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 9, 2015

I don't know your specific situation, but from the details you've given, I'd spend time the next two weeks polishing my résumé and preparing a letter of recommendation.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 9, 2015

If this tenured teacher has a very long list of grievances against him or her, that might be taken into account. You may not be able to speak about your own case, but can you ask about the past issues? That might factor into the due process of your case.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Did they tell you the reason you were placed on administrative leave?

If I were in your position, I would start planning to look for a new job. Even if you are reinstated, you may not want to deal with the impact this will almost surely have on your reputation.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

This. I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would make a complaint against a colleague outside of some case of harassment, intimidation or bullying.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 9, 2015

(my post should have said letter of resignation, not recommendation, but I'm guessing that is reasonably obvious)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Do you have a teacher friend in the district that can tell you whether or not this other teacher has been put on leave as well? I would definitely look at worst case scenario and start working on your resume, just on the off chance that it does turn into worst case scenario. Hopefully you won't need it!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 10, 2015

I am so incredibly sorry this is happening to you.

I hate to say this, but I agree with the others who have suggested that you start preparing a letter of resignation. Since you're a probationary/non-tenured teacher, you can be released very easily.

13. Rox

Rox Cohort

Feb 10, 2015

Have you contacted the union? Gather any documentation you have just in case. I agree with others who suggested looking for a job elsewhere.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2015

I was wondering the same thing - where is the union rep in all of this, and why didn't you go to them long before filing formal complaints? I think the fact that, as a new teacher you, resorted to that action in a relatively short period of time is going to do the most damage. You may have been justified, that isn't what I am saying. However, administration is not fond of having to go down these rocky roads, so they may not be as favorably inclined to see your side of the story. One teacher is tenured, and much harder to get rid of. The other teacher is first year without those same constrictions, so I believe you are right - you are at an extreme disadvantage. My advice is to learn from the experience and not repeat this sequence of events going forward. Perhaps finding out a better way to handle conflict with a colleague would be highly beneficial. Please note that I am not asking, nor do I want to hear, about the grievances. It is the manner in which they were handled that has led to this point. I would prepare a letter of resignation and I would ask for letters of recommendation from any colleagues who may be willing to provide them. Best of luck.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2015

This is excellent advice. You may have burned your bridges with this district. However, the admin may be willing to give you a good reference to make the issue go away.

However, we don't know the circumstances behind your grievance (and we don't need to know). The grievance may be serious enough to warrant being filed. If that is the case, I hope everything works out in your favor.

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 16, 2015

Old thread.... i hope this person survived unscathed!